Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Canucks and the Oilers are on a collision course after game #4 wins......A good possibility that before the Western Conference final, there's only one Canadian team left standing.

Actually glad to see the Oilers stifling the Kings.....It's almost poetic justice that they lost the pivotal game #4, 1-0. I absolutely hate the way they play the game. And that Pierre Luc Dubois pickup from Winnipeg might be one of the worst NHL trades in at least the past five years.

Oiler hockey is fun, mostly. LAK hockey makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork.

I still cannot get over how static the LAK pk looked on that Bouchard goal. You stand there with your dicks in your hands and allow Oilers to set up without contest, what did you morons think it as going to happen?

Either way, I hope LAK gets crushed into dust.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I know people love his 'advanced stats' but Ehlers sucks during the playoffs. He may pick up a random point once in a while but for the most part he is just irrelevant on the ice. Jets should move him and sign somebody built for the playoffs.

Ehlers.PNG

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The Laughs brass never had the vision and jam to create a winning team.

All Ice Capades, year, after year, after year.

They remind me of the old Quebec Nordiques.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't see us beating Edmonton without a healthy Demko unless Pettersson figures out how to dominate again.

We cannot compete with them playing run and gun. If both teams advance, our play will need to be defensively sound and opportunistic on counter-attacks because their style is very wide open.

DeSmith/Silovs is actually a serviceable duo provided you have access to both of them.

But first things first - this series is not over even though Nashville must feel like it is.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I don't see us beating Edmonton without a healthy Demko unless Pettersson figures out how to dominate again.

We cannot compete with them playing run and gun. If both teams advance, our play will need to be defensively sound and opportunistic on counter-attacks because their style is very wide open.

DeSmith/Silovs is actually a serviceable duo provided you have access to both of them.

But first things first - this series is not over even though Nashville must feel like it is.

That core has 6 years of playoff experience. They have the best hockey player on the planet who can carry that team on his back. All the chips are in over there.

Edmonton has all the pressure in the world to get to the SCF. They NEED this. 1 more season of Draisaitl and Bouchard before they hit UFA/RFA, 2 more seasons of McDavid.

Meanwhile the Canucks are playing with house money if they beat Nashville. There were expectations to make the playoffs as a bubble team and the top players needed the experience. Expectations will probably be higher next year.....but almost all the pressure will be on Edmonton.

Pressure is a hell of a thing though and can twist a series on it's back.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is Demko done for the season?
Unknown. I think if he required surgery, then they would be scheduling him for the procedure before Mother's day which would be 3 weeks from game 1. Not sure there would be a need to fly him to Nashville with the team for games 3 and 4.
If it's just something that needs time to heal, then he could be done. Hard to say. No surgery was needed for him on his last injury and it took him like 5 weeks to return. So, that's like sometime near the end of the WCF.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s entering the final year of his contract. So wants to be with a team that will give him the 8 year max term contract.

Nmc ensures he gets to basically pick his next spot.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Anaheim Ducks: Greg Cronin
Boston Bruins: Jim Montgomery
Buffalo Sabres: Lindy Ruff
Calgary Flames: Ryan Huska
Carolina Hurricanes: Rod Brind'Amour
Chicago Blackhawks: Luke Richardson
Colorado Avalanche: Jared Bednar
Columbus Blue Jackets: Pascal Vincent
Dallas Stars: Peter DeBoer
Detroit Red Wings: Derek Lalonde
Edmonton Oilers: Kris Knoblauch
Florida Panthers: Paul Maurice
Los Angeles Kings: Vacant (Interim Jim Hiller)
Minnesota Wild: John Hynes
Montreal Canadiens: Martin St. Louis
Nashville Predators: Andrew Brunette
New Jersey Devils: Vacant (Interim Travis Green)
New York Islanders: Patrick Roy
New York Rangers: Peter Laviolette
Ottawa Senators: Vacant (Interim Jacques Martin)
Philadelphia Flyers: John Tortorella
Pittsburgh Penguins: Mike Sullivan
San Jose Sharks: Vacant
St. Louis Blues: Vacant
(Interim Drew Bannister)
Seattle Kraken: Vacant
Tampa Bay Lightning: Jon Cooper
Toronto Maple Leafs: Sheldon Keefe
Utah: Andre Tourigny
Vancouver Canucks: Rick Tocchet
Vegas Golden Knights: Bruce Cassidy
Washington Capitals: Spencer Carbery
Winnipeg Jets: Rick Bowness

Five vacant coaching spots and I wouldn't be surprised if there's one or two more once the first round ends. Additionally, as far as I know Brind'Amour hasn't been signed to an extension yet.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Pretty surprising, here. Almost as surprising as the fact that they elected for him to be their coach in the first place.

I'm not surprised..He did a great job in last years playoffs when the Kraken went on that extended run..As usual, in pro sports, somebody has to pay the pay the butchers bill when you fail to make the post season.

The Kraken were not a serious threat to anyone this last season...The expectations were unrealistic, given the roster.

Last edited:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Pretty surprising, here. Almost as surprising as the fact that they elected for him to be their coach in the first place.

I just did a quick comparison, their goaltending was pretty similar to last year. They scored 75 goals less this year as a team, so that hurts a lot. Not sure coaching is their problem.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Berube is available and likely gets picked up somewhere.

Travis Green still not tied down and available for anyone wanting to try and win but tank since every other team in the league is a "good one".

• Haha
Reactions: BimJenning and quat

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
i mean management can make it pretty toxic, "we spoke to Mitch about a potential trade but he does not want to move". That will get the media and the fans to turn against him pretty quickly especially with this playoff performance.

I think Leafs management needs to be rather careful with this. If they just come out and say something like that, sure it will shift almost all the heat to Marner, but it in itself is also a royal dick punch that will make the team look very petty and despicable. It will be a case of mutually assured destruction: Marner will face the immediate fury of the fans, and Leafs management will show all the players that they will throw you under a double decker bus when they see fit.

Best way for them to handle this, boring as it may be, would still be behind the doors talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad