Around the League 43: Playoff Time- Goodbye Buffalo, Goodbye Yzerplan. And Goodbye Yotes, Welcome Utah.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
If you asked me to rank posts in this thread in order of their fakeness, I might go:
  1. Trouba wins something called a Mark Messier leadership award
  2. Refs stop play because Bob makes a shoulder save
  3. Multiple teams have +$10m in dead cap space
  4. Montgomery presser
You avatar makes me indescribably and incandescently happy.
That is all.

Video gif. Eddie Murphy Leans back, a wide grin on his face, and emphatically claps his hands together as if to say, There we go!

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
West has the scoring horses but their goaltending is well below the East's. Oilers-Canucks-Avs are meh and even for Dallas:

Ottinger let in a howler tonight that was a difference maker in their loss.

Edit: 2 howlers. One from below the goal line in a 2-2 game in the 3rd and a long pretty far out 5 hole area.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
West’ has the scoring horses but their goaltending is well below the East's. Oilers-Canucks-Avs are meh and even for Dallas:

Ottinger let in a howler tonight that was a difference maker in their loss.

Oett has been solid for most of the series though. He's kept the AVs at bay and Dallas still has a strangle hold on the series thanks in part to him, and Georgiev being Georgiev. He's easily the best goalie coming out of the West and capable of stealing games. Dallas is gonna be tough to beat. Avs staved off elimination tonight but I don't see them winning the series.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I know he’s scored some big goals but I’m kinda thinking he won’t be back next year. Of course I’m generally wrong when I think about stuff so good chance he will be back
Well he’s already half price so I think we could move him if we wanted to but he's proven that even as a straight out of rehab and probably out of shape before he even went in kind of guy he can add useful things we don’t possess. Some of which may be in even more short demand if we move Necas. Big moments scare him less than maybe anyone else on the team. He has a poise with the puck, vision and skill to execute tough plays that exceeds the rest of the team. If he can get with the program enough he’s an asset. Depending on what happens to the rest of the centers we move him if we have to, but I’m curious to see if there’s something that’s going to happen with KK first. Necas and/or KK could end up playing a role in reshaping the defense.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I know he’s scored some big goals but I’m kinda thinking he won’t be back next year. Of course I’m generally wrong when I think about stuff so good chance he will be back
I said at the time of the move, I don't see Kotkaniemi and Kuznetsov both on the team next year. There's a logjam at C with Aho, Staal, and Drury all already here.

Kotkaniemi has shown a useful heavy game in the playoffs but I don't see them keeping Kotkaniemi and moving Kuznetsov.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean due to retention, he's a $3m winger who can score big goals for us in crunch time who has all the potential to step up in a big role next year given the roster turnover we are going to have. Quite frankly, he's too much of a potential bargain for us to discard. KK, sure I can see that, but not Kuzy, jettisoning him would seem like the exact opposite of the typical Canes MO.

I have noticed that he mentions his career winding down or alludes to its twilight in his interviews.
Yes, but one the other hand, being on this team now and giving this kind of help in a playoff run for a legit contender, as opposed to what Washington has become, can help rejuvenate a career. Plus, with Svech, Kooch, and down the line Nikishin coming in, he has an opportunity to be a bit of a mentor for these Russian players, which he never had in Washington because of Ovi. Might give him a second life, even as his career starts to taper off.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Like I said on the main forum, I am looking forward to seeing how Kuzy is next year. He's clearly incredibly talented and has been able to score some big goals for us, but he also clearly came from Washington completely out of shape and he's not really been able to keep up.

Give him a summer to train and get into game shape under our regiment, and I think he could bounce back in a huge way. I'm thinking he has us not worried about the 2C spot next year
He clearly thrives under the bright lights and knows what to say.

People with that temperament can struggle in the quiet times that others can use to prepare.

Ideally he has an offseason buddy or two to work with.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He clearly thrives under the bright lights and knows what to say.

People with that temperament can struggle in the quiet times that others can use to prepare.

Ideally he has an offseason buddy or two to work with.
1) Give him a full offseason with Orlov.
2) Send him to Burns's ranch for the offseason to run every day and eat elk.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Well he’s already half price so I think we could move him if we wanted to but he's proven that even as a straight out of rehab and probably out of shape before he even went in kind of guy he can add useful things we don’t possess. Some of which may be in even more short demand if we move Necas. Big moments scare him less than maybe anyone else on the team. He has a poise with the puck, vision and skill to execute tough plays that exceeds the rest of the team. If he can get with the program enough he’s an asset. Depending on what happens to the rest of the centers we move him if we have to, but I’m curious to see if there’s something that’s going to happen with KK first. Necas and/or KK could end up playing a role in reshaping the defense.
I would move necas to 2C if we resign him. if its ever going to happen, its next year. he's ready and has showed enough 200 foot game characteristics to try it. hiss skill set is unique to this team and IMO translates to center. He has clear flaws in his game but it remains a huge challenge to find suitable linemates for him due to his speed and puck carrying tendencies. svech and martinook make some sense.

TT and Noesen are likely gone regardless.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I would move necas to 2C if we resign him. if its ever going to happen, its next year. he's ready and has showed enough 200 foot game characteristics to try it. hiss skill set is unique to this team and IMO translates to center. He has clear flaws in his game but it remains a huge challenge to find suitable linemates for him due to his speed and puck carrying tendencies. svech and martinook make some sense.

TT and Noesen are likely gone regardless.
I agree that Necas has a game that’s probably best in the middle, but I don’t think Rod will ever trust him there. Ironically he’d probably be at his best defensively there as well.

I just don’t see Rod giving it a real shot.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Continuing my ticket analysis (need some busy time today before the game).

Edit: 3PM update-- around 60 direct seats left with resales also less than 100...hopefully all Canes fans purchased.

Edit 7pm: only 7 resales left. Wow no Rags in our section.

To get a full sell out, most of the teams probably need to tweak their pricing down slightly except for the Oilers which probably need to take theirs down a lot. Of course, they model these events to see what delivers the overall highest average price taking account ancillary revenues tied to parking, food and places such as the "eye" which add to the overall take.

For Canes game tonight, available tickets are now down to less than 1,000. Canes still need to sell 131 non-SRO and 29 SRO seats to hit full sellout. Pricing has come down a bit on re-sales but still holding strong with sellers holding out (they will need to drop pretty soon particularly, folks at $600 and above (a bunch still over $1,000 with a couple still at $2,500)).

I was disappointed until I saw the profiles of the other series. All have more "direct" tickets to sell (in blue) than the Canes.

Avs (WOW), as they have multiple thousands to sell directly (blue) let alone resales. Their pricing is also less than the Canes.
Boston is also very numerous and pricing essentially equivalent to the Canes (surprising).
Canucks & Oilers also have a significant number to sell (particularly Oilers) but their pricing (albeit Cnd $) is 2-3X Canes

1715875867036.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad