Around the League 43: Playoff Time- Goodbye Buffalo, Goodbye Yzerplan. And Goodbye Yotes, Welcome Utah.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Another goalie challenge by Florida. Good goal. Interference voodoo continues.

I thought it was good goal though.

Yeah, that call was fine. But this one:

Baffling. Even if they believe Bob was hurt (which I assume was the reason for the whistle), they aren’t supposed to blow it dead unless there’s an immediate danger or until Boston loses possession.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
How the F do the Wild 2 solid top sixers worth of dead cap space. Jesus they could sign the top D man in the market and have enough for a middle six guy just with that money

I know someone already answered and said the Parise and Suter buyouts but here's the actual numbers:
1715738005647.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I finally got a chance to watch a EDM/VAN game. Even though it took a last minute goal to win, EDM was all over VAN that game. Some observations:

1) Holy shit, don't give EDM a PP. So damn lethal. McDavid is just unreal.
2) Oilers were outworking basically everyone on Vancouver last night except for maybe Garland and Bleuger (sp?). Boeser looked good too. They seemingly won almost every board battle. Vancouver looked slow, and at times almost afraid to engage comparatively. Vancouver had a few decent stretches, but overall, EDM took it to them.
3) Van's goalie was very good, but man he looks like a rebound machine. Maybe it was somewhat intentional though as a lot of them rebounded so far that the Oiler's couldn't do anything with them.
4) Elias Pettersson looked timid and afraid to engage physically. Honestly, looked scrawny and weak last night and taken off the puck too easily.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
To make up for my mistake, I submit to you this humble offering. LOL:

He does lead....with his elbow.

I finally got a chance to watch a EDM/VAN game. Even though it took a last minute goal to win, EDM was all over VAN that game. Some observations:

1) Holy shit, don't give EDM a PP. So damn lethal. McDavid is just unreal.
2) Oilers were outworking basically everyone on Vancouver last night except for maybe Garland and Bleuger (sp?). Boeser looked good too. They seemingly won almost every board battle. Vancouver looked slow, and at times almost afraid to engage comparatively. Vancouver had a few decent stretches, but overall, EDM took it to them.
3) Van's goalie was very good, but man he looks like a rebound machine. Maybe it was somewhat intentional though as a lot of them rebounded so far that the Oiler's couldn't do anything with them.
4) Elias Pettersson looked timid and afraid to engage physically. Honestly, looked scrawny and weak last night and taken off the puck too easily.
I heard it here first...we dodged a bullet not acquiring EP!!!!@!

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Someone posted a comparison on Reddit kuznetsov has had a better playoff so far than petterson, maeks u think
comparisons among 10 games is pretty tough to draw conclusions.

Ep40 is having some bad luck offensively and Kuzy good luck which can throw a comparison with such a small sample size.

the canes are putting kuzy in better situations than EP40 too. Kuzy has a 75% o zone start at 5v5 and EP 53%.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Ep40 is having some bad luck offensively and Kuzy good luck which can throw a comparison with such a small sample size.

the canes are putting kuzy in better situations than EP40 too. Kuzy has a 75% o zone start at 5v5 and EP 53%.
75% o-zone start doesn't mean as much as you think it does:
From NHL Player Statistics -Advanced Stats 2023-2024

Kuznetsov in the playoffs:
10.5% of 5x5 shifts start in offensive zone
17.5% in neutral zone
3.5% in defensive zone
68.4% on the fly

Elias Petterson
11.1% of 5x5 shifts start in offensive zone
11.1% in neutral zone
10.6% in defensive zone
66.1% on the fly

So the only major differences are Kuznetsov gets more 6.5% more neutral zone starts than Petterson and Petterson gets 7% more defensive zone starts.

I am confident strength of opponent would be a better argument, but this "75% vs 53%" comes from 7% of all 5x5 shifts.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

kuzy has had good luck? Last game he drove the net on a rebound from a play that started outside of the zone, and the previous game he took the zone on his own and beat the goalie clean from distance. They went over the replay multiple times about how he beat Panarin to the net for the rebound on a net drive for the first one…..on a drive all the way down the rink.

How were either of those plays generated from a kind offensive zone start? How were either of those goals “luck” vs “hard work” or “skill”. Neither had an offensive zone advantage. This is what I’m talking about with curious use of stats.

Ps. The other two were a penalty shot and the first goal of the playoffs which was a snipe on a power play. EP I’m sure is a more featured pp player than Kuzy.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
kuzy has had good luck? Last game he drove the net on a rebound from a play that started outside of the zone, and the previous game he took the zone on his own and beat the goalie clean from distance. They went over the replay multiple times about how he beat Panarin to the net for the rebound on a net drive for the first one…..on a drive all the way down the rink.

How were either of those plays generated from a kind offensive zone start? How were either of those goals “luck” vs “hard work” or “skill”. Neither had an offensive zone advantage. This is what I’m talking about with curious use of stats.

Ps. The other two were a penalty shot and the first goal of the playoffs which was a snipe on a power play. EP I’m sure is a more featured pp player than Kuzy.
He’s had good luck because his line has scored 1.5 more goals than expected. This isn’t an attack on every individual play he’s made
But he does have an expected goal total of 0.83 in 5v5 so far.

Reactions: Tryamw

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s had good luck because his line has scored 1.5 more goals than expected. This isn’t an attack on every individual play he’s made
But he does have an expected goal total of 0.83 in 5v5 so far.
Or maybe instead of lucky they were just good? Calling people lucky because they exceed statistical expectations is nonsense. I question the nature of expected goals, and obviously the usage of the word lucky. Kuzy has 33 playoff goals in 96 games. Not a lot of luck in that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Or maybe instead of lucky they were just good? Calling people lucky because they exceed statistical expectations is nonsense. I question the nature of expected goals, and obviously the usage of the word lucky. Kuzy has 33 playoff goals in 96 games. Not a lot of luck in that.
Well that is just like your opinion man

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Like I said on the main forum, I am looking forward to seeing how Kuzy is next year. He's clearly incredibly talented and has been able to score some big goals for us, but he also clearly came from Washington completely out of shape and he's not really been able to keep up.

Give him a summer to train and get into game shape under our regiment, and I think he could bounce back in a huge way. I'm thinking he has us not worried about the 2C spot next year

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Like I said on the main forum, I am looking forward to seeing how Kuzy is next year. He's clearly incredibly talented and has been able to score some big goals for us, but he also clearly came from Washington completely out of shape and he's not really been able to keep up.

Give him a summer to train and get into game shape under our regiment, and I think he could bounce back in a huge way. I'm thinking he has us not worried about the 2C spot next year
I know he’s scored some big goals but I’m kinda thinking he won’t be back next year. Of course I’m generally wrong when I think about stuff so good chance he will be back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad