GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
PDO-Fraudnucks fans with some serious delusion on the mains about these two series

8od8bm.jpg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Colorado is looking like a problem. Them and Florida are currently the class of the league IMO.

I feel like the advantage the Avalanche have over other teams is to blitz teams for a 5-7 minute stretch where they rack up a bunch of goals in short order. If teams can manage that blitz they aren't terribly scary most of the time otherwise.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I feel like the Leafs would open up a lot of opportunities for themselves if they moved on from Marner and opened up some cap room in the process. Only problem with that is the only teams with cap room that would allow them to take on Marner without sending money back all suck, so Marner won't likely waive to go.

It's a problem they have that I am enjoying watching from afar.

Reactions: bellagiobob

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
If I'm a rebuilding team I'm the guy 'helping' the Leafs shed the Marner contract. It is absolutely unfair the kind of criticism he's taking in that market. And it's going to lead Treliving into making another horrendous series of moves.

Marner is a good hockey player who plays for a team that had gotten shallower and shallower year over year.
Yeah the media and fan base there are toxic

Colorado is looking like a problem. Them and Florida are currently the class of the league IMO.
Those two are the favourites imo will be tough . Let’s worry about them if we have to play them.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Leafs can't afford to keep shedding talent. That's a huge contributor to why their team just can't get over that hump.

They need to target a similarly maligned big name player and hope that they can rehabilitate and put into a place to succeed.

Zegras, Laine, Necas, Seth Jones...

I don't think that the playoff urgency criticism is a thing. Marner's game isn't built around mucking it up. A big part of his game is built around speed and the Bruins have done a tremendous job nullifying their speed through the NZ in this series.

Maybe guys like Edmundson and Lybushkin weren't the right guys to add to a roster that already had McCabe, Brodie and Benoit. Transition wasn't going to be the strong part of their game looking at that D core.
The reason they can't get over the hump is not due to lack of talent. They added guys this year to give them some grit and sandpaper. Their problem is that the talented core group that they have simply don't have the nads to get it done when it counts most. Your best players have to play the best, as the saying goes.

Love it. Was hoping he'd really stumble this year and push him back on the Gretz record, but it looks like he'll hang around until he gets it.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The reason they can't get over the hump is not due to lack of talent. They added guys this year to give them some grit and sandpaper. Their problem is that the talented core group that they have simply don't have the nads to get it done when it counts most. Your best players have to play the best, as the saying goes.

Love it. Was hoping he'd really stumble this year and push him back on the Gretz record, but it looks like he'll hang around until he gets it.

His steroids wore off. He will juice back up in the off season and be back in October ready to go.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
So Leafers, if you’re spotted a one goal lead vs the Kings(or Bruins) but are only allowed 12 shots, Can you win? The real question is whose the contender, Edm or TO

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I feel like the Leafs would open up a lot of opportunities for themselves if they moved on from Marner and opened up some cap room in the process. Only problem with that is the only teams with cap room that would allow them to take on Marner without sending money back all suck, so Marner won't likely waive to go.

It's a problem they have that I am enjoying watching from afar.
For next year Marner could be cheap. After the Leafs pay his signing bonus he is only owed $775K in real money. They could do a deal where the Leafs retain say $3M and then a second team retains 50% of the remaining contract. The actual cost in money would be minimal for the third party. The issue would be following year.

Honestly, I could see Vegas trying to make this work. But Nashville might be the team that could use Marner the most.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
So Leafers, if you’re spotted a one goal lead vs the Kings(or Bruins) but are only allowed 12 shots, Can you win? The real question is whose the contender, Edm or TO

I was shocked to see that Oilers hater and Leaf apologist poster that starts with a D (we all know who), was lamenting that the Oilers and Canucks can win with goaltending where the Leafs cannot. Was the closest I’ve seen to them admitting the Leafs are worse, rather than the usual mental gymnastics to make excuses for the Leafs

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
For next year Marner could be cheap. After the Leafs pay his signing bonus he is only owed $775K in real money. They could do a deal where the Leafs retain say $3M and then a second team retains 50% of the remaining contract. The actual cost in money would be minimal for the third party. The issue would be following year.

Honestly, I could see Vegas trying to make this work. But Nashville might be the team that could use Marner the most.
Nashville or Carolina came to mind but I think he'd be better off somewhere where he isn't relied on as heavily. Dude is a headcase and the pressure seems to get to him. He wouldn't have to deal with the media in those places but he'd still have to carry the offense.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

There really is no trying when it comes to Vegas. They'll make it work if they like him enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad