Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So happy for Solo, he's been great for the Wranglers. Sucks for the Wranglers losing their 2 best defensemen essentially overnight though.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I'm being histrionic, so excuse me..

But if I were GM I'd lambaste ownership and I'd probably smack Bean. I'd take a massive coiler on the boardroom table and walk out.

Conroy isn't going to fix this. Nobody is. They have a mandate. You're not even considered for the GM job unless you're willing to gobble gobble gobble.

Great lineup?!?! Not allowed to say rebuild??!

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Y'know what. That asshole is either delusional or a liar. Both are horrible traits for someone in that position. Jesus f***ing Christ.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I feel bad for Huska, honestly. He looks like a deer in headlights. He’s out of his depth.

Failure begins top down. Murray Edwards needs to sell the team.

I genuinely wonder if the arena deal was inked earlier, if Johnny and Chucky would’ve stayed. We have the worst facility in the league by far. That matters a lot to players when deciding where to play, especially in a small Canadian market. Why the hell would you stay somewhere where it’s below -20 for half the year AND has trash facilities?

Idk man. I am worried we’re entering a dark era for the team. Huberdeau & Kadri inked for another 6 & 8 years respectively, a weak prospect pool, and honestly a franchise that lacks leadership and looks directionless.

It looks like Sutter did the best he could last year with the team he was given. If Markstrom wasn’t a literal sieve last year maybe the team wouldn’t have ran out the best coach we’ve had since… ever…out of town.

Iggys Dome

Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I wanna say as well, I wonder when Edwards is gonna start feeling it in his pocket. Attendance is down, the Dome is quiet af. Fan apathy is at an all time high. At least when Gulutzan was coach we had Johnny & Chucky and some youth to look forward to.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Huberdeau-Sharongovich-Coronato
Play that line into the ground until they develop chemistry. Stop this desperation line-blender, Huska.
Yep exactly. Stick to some lines Husksa. Team looks lost out there so do you think constant line shuffling is going to work????? Kadri and Lindholm were tripping over themselves. If you want those guys together then Lindholm goes to RW not Kadri. Clear as day.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I feel bad for Huska, honestly. He looks like a deer in headlights. He’s out of his depth.

Failure begins top down. Murray Edwards needs to sell the team.

I genuinely wonder if the arena deal was inked earlier, if Johnny and Chucky would’ve stayed. We have the worst facility in the league by far. That matters a lot to players when deciding where to play, especially in a small Canadian market. Why the hell would you stay somewhere where it’s below -20 for half the year AND has trash facilities?

Idk man. I am worried we’re entering a dark era for the team. Huberdeau & Kadri inked for another 6 & 8 years respectively, a weak prospect pool, and honestly a franchise that lacks leadership and looks directionless.

It looks like Sutter did the best he could last year with the team he was given. If Markstrom wasn’t a literal sieve last year maybe the team wouldn’t have ran out the best coach we’ve had since… ever…out of town.
Totally agree on the first point. Another contradiction for this team when they say they wanted to compete... you put a first time coach out there who had a mediocre AHL record at best? Yikes. Half measures I tell ya man... bringing in a worse forward that is slightly younger when you want to compete and half assign futures. I can't really blame Conroy for a lot of the mess Tre made, but he had a terrible first off-season nevertheless.

As for the bolded, Sutter is a pretty big reason we have some of those problems right now. He ran two very good prospects out of town for stupid reasons, and he was an asshole to the entire staff as well. He might've gotten this team close, but there was no way he could come back after he had alienated most of the club. It wasn't results that got him fired, but a shitty out of touch personality. You could argue he played a role in Tkachuk and Gaudreau leaving as well. The hire set this team back years.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd look iit up for myself but I'd just confuse myself. What's the deal with our first this year? Do we still have it, or is it Florida's? Or does it depend on where we finish?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I'd look iit up for myself but I'd just confuse myself. What's the deal with our first this year? Do we still have it, or is it Florida's? Or does it depend on where we finish?
Montreal has the option on it if it is in the 20-32 range as a trade condition.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Looks like we have it unless we finish between 20-32, then the Habs can take it.
2025 it's the better of Flames/Panthers pick, top 10 protected, which would carry over to 2026 if both picks are top 10......I think. There's alot of different scenarios.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Agree with these lines. Huberdeau doesn't work with Lindholm. It took a staff of hockey experts far too long ffs.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Agree with these lines. Huberdeau doesn't work with Lindholm. It took a staff of hockey experts far too long ffs.

he doesn't work with Kadri either but thats ok.
They should try Huberdeau/Sharangovich/Coronato because what the f*ck do they have to lose.

Reactions: deleted user

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
he doesn't work with Kadri either but thats ok.
They should try Huberdeau/Sharangovich/Coronato because what the f*ck do they have to lose.
He'll work better with Kadri than any of our other centres unless we give Dube a shot at it.

The team parts don't fit. Huska is making the best out of a broken lineup with these lines imho.

Reactions: deleted user

Iggys Dome

Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Totally agree on the first point. Another contradiction for this team when they say they wanted to compete... you put a first time coach out there who had a mediocre AHL record at best? Yikes. Half measures I tell ya man... bringing in a worse forward that is slightly younger when you want to compete and half assign futures. I can't really blame Conroy for a lot of the mess Tre made, but he had a terrible first off-season nevertheless.

As for the bolded, Sutter is a pretty big reason we have some of those problems right now. He ran two very good prospects out of town for stupid reasons, and he was an asshole to the entire staff as well. He might've gotten this team close, but there was no way he could come back after he had alienated most of the club. It wasn't results that got him fired, but a shitty out of touch personality. You could argue he played a role in Tkachuk and Gaudreau leaving as well. The hire set this team back years.

Who do you mean by the bolded?

I don't necessarily disagree that we probably needed to move on from Sutter...his line up decisions were really baffling at times (Lucic, Ritchie etc.) He could've handled his end way better. I just think of Zad's comments "You don't like hard coaches, you don't like soft coaches.."

I'd rather have Sutter than Huska right now, is all I'm saying. At least the effort wasn't piss poor last season.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm in full belief that Huska is just here keeping the chair warm for Iginla. And continue down the path of Murray Edwards' dream to establish his own old boy's club from 2003.
Iginla’s favourite coaches were D Sutter and Keenan so that would be an interesting development

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I mean Coronato and Huberdeau are going to be here for a while. Should just force them together for the season and let them work out some chemistry. Coronato is a goal scorer. Huberdeau is a disher. Just let them figure it out.

Finding a center for them that works instead of the plague of Kadri will be the hard part.
Backlund.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Dube and Mangiapane are dead to me. Mainly because or fantasy. But they suck right now, man good god

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
With Chabot out long term, could we trade Hani to Ott? Prob not as he wants to be in the US

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad