Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy - Part 2

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think they meant 1 cup as in the 2004 one, leaving this current core with 0.

And yeah, Vasi has actually saved some deflections in the past, not a majority of course, but more than his fair share. That's the sort of saves that get you the "best goaltender in the world" title in the first place. A lot of them are just being in the right place and letting them hit you. These seem to be burning him while he's still searching for the puck.
Vasy made routine saves AND a number of saves he had no business making. That's how he got paid.

To me, early on rebound control was a weakness, as well as losing pucks after they hit him and not knowing they'd gotten loose. Both of those things would creep back up when he was "off" his game. What we are seeing now is a whole different animal. It legitimately looks like he's daydreaming and going through the motions.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
1.8M on the other side making saves he shouldn't be making, just sayin.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

There's some truth to what Vasy is saying in that quote.

It's also clear to anyone who's watched this team for longer than 1yr, the team isn't as good at defending in their zone as they were in the 3yrs prior.

Also clearly obvious, Vasy isn't nearly as focused and locked in. He simply isn't seeing pucks well. He is guessing on shots from distance through screens. We do miss Cernak for clearing the screens, but if you know your goalie has trouble with screens and you don't redouble your efforts to block shots from the point or clear bodies from in front of him, you're failing systematically in addition to all other factors.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If there's one thing our guys can take a page from is just to shoot wristers on net not keeping trying to blast the hardest shot possible and missing every time.

Tim Smith

Jun 24, 2021
If there's one thing our guys can take a page from is just to shoot wristers on net not keeping trying to blast the hardest shot possible and missing every time.
Agreed, just throw it on net, good things will come

Tim Smith

Jun 24, 2021
There's some truth to what Vasy is saying in that quote.

It's also clear to anyone who's watched this team for longer than 1yr, the team isn't as good at defending in their zone as they were in the 3yrs prior.

Also clearly obvious, Vasy isn't nearly as focused and locked in. He simply isn't seeing pucks well. He is guessing on shots from distance through screens. We do miss Cernak for clearing the screens, but if you know your goalie has trouble with screens and you don't redouble your efforts to block shots from the point or clear bodies from in front of him, you're failing systematically in addition to all other factors.
We will need to clear and clear often. They are too comfortable in front of our net. I would imagine that their attraction to the crease has certainly been enhanced especially with the big feller Cernak sidelined.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Weren't you sort of blowing me off the other day when I was trying to make this very same point, just more specifically with Cole? Anyway, glad we're on the same page here now.

Also clearly obvious, Vasy isn't nearly as focused and locked in. He simply isn't seeing pucks well.
And I still agree with this part as well - it's painfully, in every sense of the word, obvious. Every Morgan Reilly goal has been like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

We do miss Cernak for clearing the screens, but if you know your goalie has trouble with screens and you don't redouble your efforts to block shots from the point or clear bodies from in front of him, you're failing systematically in addition to all other factors.
Wholeheartedly agree with this.

Toronto has shown us the last two games that no matter how badly we've dominated and pushed them around for two periods, if we let up and don't force them to defend it their own zone, it doesn't take them long or many chances at all to capitalize.

Hockey4Life18

Jul 27, 2022
Weren't you sort of blowing me off the other day when I was trying to make this very same point, just more specifically with Cole? Anyway, glad we're on the same page here now.

And I still agree with this part as well - it's painfully, in every sense of the word, obvious. Every Morgan Reilly goal has been like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

Wholeheartedly agree with this.

Toronto has shown us the last two games that no matter how badly we've dominated and pushed them around for two periods, if we let up and don't force them to defend it their own zone, it doesn't take them long or many chances at all to capitalize.
S.S.?

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I think Vasi needs to accept he's getting older and get used to load management. JBB needs to sign a backup that can play more than 20 games, and Vasi needs to be ok with getting pulled from games.
Yeah we need to stop the old guy retirement parade. Get a younger goalie that can provide some competition and confidence back there.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Vasy confirmed in exit press conf. that he was injured and played through it while not dedicating enough time to recovery since game 35. I think he means his 35th start, not the team's 35th game of the season.

Said he didn't feel good at all from that time and tried to power through it. Makes a lot of sense. Wish he'd have been able to ask for help and sit it out and take his recovery more slowly.

Reactions: Master P

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Vasy confirmed in exit press conf. that he was injured and played through it while not dedicating enough time to recovery since game 35. I think he means his 35th start, not the team's 35th game of the season.

Said he didn't feel good at all from that time and tried to power through it. Makes a lot of sense. Wish he'd have been able to ask for help and sit it out and take his recovery more slowly.
That's a mistake that needs correcting. Whether the trainers, coaches or Vasy is to blame is moot at this point. There's no reason a 9.5M asset should have that reason when he can recover and rest throughout the season. Not at our expense or mercy, but his. I'm sure the team loves him regardless but if he's feeling that way, they collectively have to address that. Can't squander playoffs away with reasons like that. I have confidence he will bounce back to the Vasy we've seen win two cups.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I respect his drive but it’s frustrating that Vassy was so stubborn about playing. Hopefully this atleast opens the lines of communication for rest in future seasons. This also likely means the Lightning need to spend a little extra on a backup this off-seaso, which doesn’t help the situation

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

Aside from his record, Vasilevskiy’s numbers in his first 35 games of the season and his last 25 aren’t much different. He was 22-12-1 with a .918 save percentage and 2.51 goals-against average after 35 starts, then 12-10-3 with a .911 save percentage and 2.84 goals-against after that.

Uhh that is significantly different, lol. Also should've looked at goals saved above expected, he was near the top at the beginning then tanked.

Reactions: Renopucker

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

This has been a thing with us for a long time. Guys playing hurt rather than taking the time to heal up. We have a good team. We can win a few games without our best guys.

Reactions: DaBolts

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
This has been a thing with us for a long time. Guys playing hurt rather than taking the time to heal up. We have a good team. We can win a few games without our best guys.
What's worse is he didn't tell anyone apparently. So the staff wasn't fully informed and he tried to power his way through it on his own I think. Said that it was the first time his mind and body weren't on the same page in his career and that at about game 30 he wasn't fully into games mentally. It showed.

I think we'd have been better off going out in the first round last year to be honest. But they'll get much needed mental break and a longer time off now.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What's worse is he didn't tell anyone apparently. So the staff wasn't fully informed and he tried to power his way through it on his own I think. Said that it was the first time his mind and body weren't on the same page in his career and that at about game 30 he wasn't fully into games mentally. It showed.

I think we'd have been better off going out in the first round last year to be honest. But they'll get much needed mental break and a longer time off now.
Yeah, it seemed like a mental problem. But if he's conscious of pain it would make sense.

Reactions: zeykshade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad