Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What exactly do you mean by "quality of people"?
I mean that I think Alfie, Neil, and Phillips are excellent pro ambassadors and role models for developing young players, not to mention heroes of the franchise.

I have always liked Poulin as a TV personality, but to hear about his varied experience and how highly regarded he is by his peers is also great.

We hired that guy Tierny from SportsLogiq, which is the stat company widely used by the NHL, and we also hired a very highly regarded strength and conditioning guy to management.

We kept on the financial officer who helped organize the sale of the Sens, Erin Crowe I believe, who is also very highly regarded in the finance world.

That’s sort of what I mean by ‘quality people’, basically people that are highly regarded in their field by their peers. We seem to be bringing in qualified professionals across the board to run the organization.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
"The term “Best in Class” serves as a yardstick of industrial excellence and technological superiority, benchmarking products and processes that go beyond the conventional standards. The phrase is not just a buzzword; it’s an excellence acknowledgment that distinguishes high-caliber offerings within their respective domains."

Getting better does not equal "best in class"!
Right, but you obviously reach the yardstick by making improvements across the organization to raise the standard of operations. Basically looking to hire the best people for positions across the board.

To be labelled best in class you need to get better!

I did not expect to get details as to who was considered for roles in the organization structure and the assessments of each.

However, when Andlauer said he wanted to have a "best in class" organization, I expected some high level, experienced and previously successful talent to be added.

So far, I have not seen that.

If he said he wanted to make improvements to the organization and management and players in order to consistently make the playoffs on an annual basis, then my expectations would not be as high as he made them with his comments. He is now walking it back.
I mean everyone he has hired has had a wealth of positional experience and is highly regarded.

Even Staios has experience in the position in the minors, though I suppose he could be your example of not seeing the experience.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Anyone believe Anlauer and/or Staios actually believe Green is the best man for the job?
I mean, yes? I guess the alternative is to continue our mentality from the last owner and management over to this group.

I personally see no reason to assume we wouldn’t look to hire the guy we wanted. We waited a long time and interviewed a lot of people for the position. Green had interest from other teams along with his current team.

I dunno, I guess some are willing to reset and some need to see the proof in the pudding before cutting slack.

Fair enough I’d say.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Anyone believe Anlauer and/or Staios actually believe Green is the best man for the job?
Yes absolutely, what an absurd thing to say. I just had a detailed post about how they have collectively approached him to run an organization since they took over. Not a single response just more posts like this.

Like what do you think their mindset is? Andlauer spends almost a billion dollars on the asset. Inherits the team in september. With no offseason to put his own people in place. He begins to slowly build his management team and add to the organization. Analytics, marketing, ceo, training and fitness, hockey ops. Does a full autopsy on the organizations hockey ops. Including hiring coaches that are going to be part of the management team. To get real intel on the players that he personally did not aquire but inherited. Then hockey ops spends 4 months making a plan to build the teams and organizations culture. Interviews between 8 to 10 coach's. Then they decide yeah I guess we will just hire that guy but there's better people for the job. What an asinine comment. 0 logic applied.

I don't really know why some posters come here and post stuff like this but won't take the time to actually read some articles listen to some sound bits or podcasts. Of not only what Staios, Poulin, Bowness, Martin and Andlauer say. But how about the players that played for Green or media members that covered him in Vancouver. I just see people look at his record and say another DJ Smith. That's simply lazy. Shows next to no critical thinking or hockey acumen. What's even worse and probably even more embarrassing is comparing Andlauer to Melnyk. They're literal polar opposites. Andlauer is respectful, well thought out and making Ottawa his home and he is SPENDING. He isn't hiding In a tax haven in Barbados. He's here boots on the ground, part of the community.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Then we already disagree.

I've outlined the people we hired and the processes that put them in those positions, in that post. So when you say quality people, I'm honestly wondering what you mean? Like, they're good people? Hard-working folk? Dependable? Or are you describing the quality of their work? Their track record?
I’m talking about professionals whose philosophies align with organizational philosophy. I’m talking about people who have collaboration and communication skills. I’m talking about people who can speak of what they learned from previous experiences and articulate how they plan to improve on them.

Every single hire has played the game for along time at the highest level, has previous experience in coaching or management and they are all professional. The era of Melnyk, Dorion and Randy Lee types is over.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I did not expect to get details as to who was considered for roles in the organization structure and the assessments of each.

However, when Andlauer said he wanted to have a "best in class" organization, I expected some high level, experienced and previously successful talent to be added.

So far, I have not seen that.

If he said he wanted to make improvements to the organization and management and players in order to consistently make the playoffs on an annual basis, then my expectations would not be as high as he made them with his comments. He is now walking it back.
Best in class is another of these buzzwords that corporate execs like to use.

There’s a lot of companies providing poor service, launching software with bugs that don’t work, offering little or no technical support, continually increase the prices to their customers, offer poor customer service, etc. Yet, you’ll hear corporate execs use this term and a bunch of other buzzwords. It's the way of the world now and it's really all about profit and money in the end. There always lots of pawns to squeeze out of their hard earned money ultimately.

I’m not saying this is what Andlauer is doing now. It’s just the use of buzzwords that I am referring to. It's just that I don’t put my stock in the use of terms and buzzwords like this.

As for the Senators organization and Andlauer, it's a wait & see scenario for me. I don’t think I have enough info or expertise to know whether these individual hires or steps will be good and pan out. I’m not going to judge immediately whether these hires were good or bad based on the little info that I have.

If we have some on ice success and we rise in the standings, make the playoffs consistently, win some rounds, etc., that’s what I’ll use to judge the organization and its people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't really know why some posters come here and post stuff like this but won't take the time to actually read some articles listen to some sound bits or podcasts. Of not only what Staios, Poulin, Bowness, Martin and Andlauer say. But how about the players that played for Green or media members that covered him in Vancouver. I just see people look at his record and say another DJ Smith. That's simply lazy. Shows next to no critical thinking or hockey acumen.
A lot of people tend to make decisions based on emotions rather than logic. To use an extreme example, that’s how or why fascism & dictators get into power. They appeal to peoples’ emotions after a difficult period & a period of severe hardship. Sorry to use this example, but couldn’t think of something more illustrative or better.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well, at least his catchy slogan wasn't an acronym as a literal middle finger to the fanbase.

Whether on purpose or accidental, it was hilarious that it was all just a big FYOU'S to all of us.

I'll take Best in Class any day, even if it isn't clearly defined.
I think Andlauer got struck with a case of "irrational exuberance" when he said "best in class".

So you disagree with hiring so far, maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. I’m wait and see, this isn’t Melnyk, I’m trusting Andlauer is getting people he feels can be successful and share similar beliefs and values.
I am waiting to see how it all works out too, as are all of us.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think experience can be overrated, but it doesn’t really matter. At this point, our fate is going to be largely or completely decided by how much money is spent on the team, how well Staios processes information and comes to conclusions, and luck.
I agree with your second sentence.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I’m talking about professionals whose philosophies align with organizational philosophy. I’m talking about people who have collaboration and communication skills. I’m talking about people who can speak of what they learned from previous experiences and articulate how they plan to improve on them.
What is the organizational philosophy, exactly? These responses are so generic it doesn't sound like even you know what you're arguing here. Like, you're only missing synergy, alignment and bandwidth to complete the corporate buzzword bingo card.
Every single hire has played the game for along time at the highest level, has previous experience in coaching or management and they are all professional.
Again, we fundamentally disagree on the qualifications. Lots of guys have had long careers as players, have previous experience in coaching or management...it doesn't mean they're the most qualified people to take an organization into contender status. None of the guys we picked (Staios x 2, Poulin, Green), for any of the positions I outlined, have winning pedigree at this level. No, not just Cup-or-bust winning pedigree but been consistently successful at this level.

Am I right or wrong? Did we get a single guy in a position of authority and decision-making who has a solid track record, above average resume and has shown quality in their results at the NHL level?
The era of Melnyk, Dorion and Randy Lee types is over.
Nobody is talking about these guys, so I'm not sure why you are???

Reactions: Cosmix

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think Andlauer got struck with a case of "irrational exuberance" when he said "best in class".

I am waiting to see how it all works out too, as are all of us.
Ian explains the best in class quote, with his interview with Andlauer. Says will take a few years to get there,

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I wonder if Brady's positivity about the hiring has to also do with what his dad had to say about Green, as they were teammates in Phoenix for two years...

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Come now people. Best in class is a silly marketing term.

It is used by companies that offer snob appeal products.

So, Mercedes...Best in class.. this way, some guy with more money than water in the ocean, buys it. And feels great about himself.. He has something unique.. He is unique.. He is special... God like.. Better than teh rest of us Riff-Raff.

And the rank and file do at times copy it. Honda Civic will sell itself as best in class . What is that class? Some organization that we never heard of, funded by Honda, awards them a Best in Class for compact sedans. Again, we buy feeling great about ourselves. We bought something unique.

No worries, Toyota does the same thing and so on.

So.. STOP EATING THE SHIT.. Stop being the easy to manipulate masses.

The Sens have reality to deal with.. A small market, with the smallest corporate base. Essentially, it is in the lower 1/3 of revenue. It is a Honda Civic and not a Mercedes. It is flying coach on a discount airline, versus first class on Emirates Airlines.

What this team can and will do, is stop being buffoons'. Start being sensible. Stop hiring Dorions and start hiring better people. But, it will not and can not offer luxory. Ths is outside of their capability.

Andlauer is not about to drop 20-30 M a year, so that he can have a Hockey Ops group pulling in a collective 30 M in salaries and dropping another 30 M in expenses.

What the Sens need to be is: Best in class, relative to the class they are in. So be the best of the bottom 10 revenue generating teams.

So, NO 5-6 M a year HC.. But no more DJ Smiths.
No 5-6 M a year POHO or GM, but no more Dorions.

This team will never be able to pull a Vegas or a Tampa and store 10 M on IR. But no more acquiring LTIR contracts just to meet the CAP floor. And no more dumping of talent that wants to get paid.

Reactions: LiseL

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder if Brady's positivity about the hiring has to also do with what his dad had to say about Green, as they were teammates in Phoenix for two years...
Probably does. Plus it would not be appropriate to say bad things about your new coach. Taking the high road and being positive is the smart thing to do, no matter what he may actually think.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ian explains the best in class quote, with his interview with Andlauer. Says will take a few years to get there,
I agree it will take time to become “best in class” as an NHL hockey team. I agree with Bankstreetparade’s comments.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We have a new owner who seems to support spending to the cap ceiling, which is excellent in my opinion, as that will help make this team competitive and become a consistent playoff team.

We have an unproven and inexperienced POHO and GM, which is of concern to me given that other teams have more experienced POHO/GMs.

We have an experienced NHL coach who did not have much success in his previous NHL work.

Time will tell if this works out to achieve reasonable success which I think would be consistently making it into the playoffs.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What is the organizational philosophy, exactly? These responses are so generic it doesn't sound like even you know what you're arguing here. Like, you're only missing synergy, alignment and bandwidth to complete the corporate buzzword bingo card.

Again, we fundamentally disagree on the qualifications. Lots of guys have had long careers as players, have previous experience in coaching or management...it doesn't mean they're the most qualified people to take an organization into contender status. None of the guys we picked (Staios x 2, Poulin, Green), for any of the positions I outlined, have winning pedigree at this level. No, not just Cup-or-bust winning pedigree but been consistently successful at this level.

Am I right or wrong? Did we get a single guy in a position of authority and decision-making who has a solid track record, above average resume and has shown quality in their results at the NHL level?

Staios - won in the CHL
Green - won in CHL - lost in AHL final. Over 10 years HC experience at the pro level
Poulin - Scouting history, 5 years with Brian Burke as VP of Hockey Ops, ran a DI program.

What exactly, with names please, were you hoping for.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Staios - won in the CHL
Green - won in CHL - lost in AHL final. Over 10 years HC experience at the pro level
Poulin - Scouting history, 5 years with Brian Burke as VP of Hockey Ops, ran a DI program.

I've already said it 100 f***ing times...

At least one person with consistent success at the NHL level. I don't need the most expensive hire and I don't need the biggest names on the market. I want people who have been there, have made good decisions in difficult times and have a track record of success AT THE NHL LEVEL. I don't give a flying f*** about the CHL/AHL/OHL or any of that bullshit. I want people who have shown they can get the job done in the NHL. You're making it sound like it's f***ing insane to ask for someone with a good resume at this level to be in a position of authority...

Reactions: Cosmix and jhutter

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Staios - won in the CHL

Poulin also coached at the college level for a decade.

The same people complaining about best in class need to ask:

- was Cooper best in class when Tbay hired him,
- Was Brindamour best in class when Car hired him,
- Was Berube best in class when StL hired him,
- Was Montgomery best in class when Dallas or Boston hired him,
- Was Bowness best in class when Wpg hired him,
- Was Bednar best in class when Col hired him,
- Was Tochett best in class when Van hired him,
- Was Sullivan best in class when Pens hired him,
- Was Cassidy best in class when Bos hired him,
- Was Keefe best in class when Tor hired him,
- Was Gallant best in class when Florida hired him?

There are some guys like DeBoer, Maurice, Laviolette, McLellan and Tortorella who have been around forever, and are still top candidates, but alot of "best in class" guys are either only fairly recently considered such, or have been with the team that brought them into the league the entire time. It begs the question, do you really get best in class coaching by going with a guy established as such, or do you get if by finding a candidate that suits your needs, and have them develop that reputation by winning with you?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

At least one person with consistent success at the NHL level. I don't need the most expensive hire and I don't need the biggest names on the market. I want people who have been there, have made good decisions in difficult times and have a track record of success AT THE NHL LEVEL. I don't give a flying f*** about the CHL/AHL/OHL or any of that bullshit. I want people who have shown they can get the job done in the NHL. You're making it sound like it's f***ing insane to ask for someone with a good resume at this level to be in a position of authority...
Give me names.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

They have been calculated and methodical not to react but to evaluate and make prudent decisions. They brought in interim coac'hs (martin and alfie) that are part of the management team to bring that knowledge to them. So they can make decisions on which players fit into the culture. Staios has had plenty of media availability the message has been clear and consistent. They are looking for sustainable success and a winning culture. That's the overall philosophy. Its apparent to me they are not going to make any knee jerk decisions. So the polar opposite of the last ownership and management. You don't like it fine, you were a big supporter of the previous regime. Which unfortunately did not have success. Maybe being open to a new philosophy would be something for you to consider. I am not sure how long you have been following hockey or been a fan of this team but the best run this organization ever had was between 1997 and 2008. The foundation of that success was built on a patient general manager name Marshal Johnston. He believed in drafting developing and keeping his cards close to his chest. He had a limited budget and made the decisions he had to. He did not over reach but when an opportunity to make the team better in the long run came along he took it. I believe we are seeing something similar. I am hoping they follow in Cheveldaeoffs foot steps in how to run a small market nhl team.

This management team took over in September, they inherited all the people and players in this organization. They are taking their time to evaluate as to not make any mistakes, I am very happy with the process so far. I am glad they had boots on the ground in the locker room in Martin and Alfie.

They finally have an offseason to bring in more support in the organization. They have had time to evaluate what they currently have on this roster. They have chosen a coach that they think fits best with this group at this time. I am expecting some change but not the overhaul everyone else seems to think. I encourage you to be patient with the process, we have witnessed emotionally driven decisions with very little foresight. It has decimated the organizations prospect pool and frankly is not how a small market not desirable destination should operate. Its going to be a slow process, based on your criticisms I dont think you want to or likely have the patience for it. However thats whats going to happen and until you give it a chance how will you know if its going to work or not? Staios did not inherit a favorable situation, the first thing you might want to consider is how hamstrung he is. This isnt an easy job at the best of times its even harder when you have very little in the prospect pool and bad contracts in a cap world. There is no easy way out unfortunately.

Last edited:
  • Love

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020

who Dude, who?

Have you seen the list of available GMs and coaches?

I wrote about this some 10 days ago.. Between, Coaches who have torched their careers, coaches that have failed to launch and coaches that have aged out. Some 20 guys who would have been prime, where pulled out the last 5 years.

Now repeat the exercise for Management. Remember when Ray Shero was a golden child.., Gone..
Chuck Fletcher..gone

Now add a good one dozen guys who were given GM roles the past 10-15 years, and who are, age wise still below 65, and see how many have flamed out.

Remember Chayka with Arizona. He was suppose to be the Golden child! Remember when Tim Murray left here, we all assumed, next success story. Remember Darcy Regier, out of hockey at the age of 58.. after a Presidents cup to his name and a Cup appearance. Doug Wilson is only 66 today. Has been out for 3 years. And so on.

The league is in a strange situation
1) List of GMs/POHO is small and is experiencing a dip
2) List of Coaches is small and experiencing a dip

if you add the scarcity of RHD and goalies, you can see the shit that this team and another 10-11 are in.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We can all make our own judgements of the slogan. I have no issue with how they've handled things. The slogan is what it is and personally speaking, I'm not concerned about any meaning behind it. At least it wasn't an acronym that breaks down as an F You to your fanbase, intentionally or not.

Reactions: Beech

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Yes absolutely, what an absurd thing to say. I just had a detailed post about how they have collectively approached him to run an organization since they took over. Not a single response just more posts like this.

Like what do you think their mindset is? Andlauer spends almost a billion dollars on the asset. Inherits the team in september. With no offseason to put his own people in place. He begins to slowly build his management team and add to the organization. Analytics, marketing, ceo, training and fitness, hockey ops. Does a full autopsy on the organizations hockey ops. Including hiring coaches that are going to be part of the management team. To get real intel on the players that he personally did not aquire but inherited. Then hockey ops spends 4 months making a plan to build the teams and organizations culture. Interviews between 8 to 10 coach's. Then they decide yeah I guess we will just hire that guy but there's better people for the job. What an asinine comment. 0 logic applied.

I don't really know why some posters come here and post stuff like this but won't take the time to actually read some articles listen to some sound bits or podcasts. Of not only what Staios, Poulin, Bowness, Martin and Andlauer say. But how about the players that played for Green or media members that covered him in Vancouver. I just see people look at his record and say another DJ Smith. That's simply lazy. Shows next to no critical thinking or hockey acumen. What's even worse and probably even more embarrassing is comparing Andlauer to Melnyk. They're literal polar opposites. Andlauer is respectful, well thought out and making Ottawa his home and he is SPENDING. He isn't hiding In a tax haven in Barbados. He's here boots on the ground, part of the community.

My dude... It was a question... Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad