Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If you're not scratching JJ, that's about as good as it gets with Malkin out.

I think Pearson with Cullen when healthy will work well.

Dumoulin at the top of his game might be able to make JJ not a shit show. Maatta with Schultz is what it is and we'll see from there. Hopefully Pettersson has a new lease on life away from JJ.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Happy to see Bjugstad with Sid. Should be interesting.

Curious why they haven’t put Kessel with McCann.
With Horny playing the way he is, this puts their best 4 wingers on two lines. My guess is they are moving away from the three line philosophy and stacking the top 6 for when Malkin gets back.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Agree...I think it would help if Rust was moved off that line and playing elsewhere, which Sully seems to have done...also Pearson and Horny can’t play together, and Sully finally separated them, so check...third, the way those guys are playing, neither of them can play with Phil, which means if the team is going to play Bjug with Sid, then one of then has to be on L4, so good on Sully for the adjustments
you are absolutely right. The way Rust is playing, controlling the puck and confidently holding to t, he must go of of Sid's line, cause Sid and Jake can have another third wheel to make that line work. That will make another line, say Geno Rust and another RW, however there is no another player that can carry the third line, with speed and possession, maybe McKann if we get lucky, none of the other forwards have that ability, we got a bunch of third wheels, but no legit 3C or fast and puck controlling winger to slot on the third line..
Edit: If Phil is on third he still needs someone that will keep the puck in possession, be agresive F1 forechecker.....thats what people don't understand when some of us moaning over losing Hagelin...

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
you are absolutely right. The way Rust is playing, controlling the puck and confidently holding to t, he must go of of Sid's line, cause Sid and Jake can have another third wheel to make that line work. That will make another line, say Geno Rust and another RW, however there is no another player that can carry the third line, with speed and possession, maybe McKann if we get lucky, none of the other forwards have that ability, we got a bunch of third wheels, but no legit 3C or fast and puck controlling winger to slot on the third line..
Edit: If Phil is on third he still needs someone that will keep the puck in possession, be agresive F1 forechecker.....thats what people don't understand when some of us moaning over losing Hagelin...

I think Phil is going to have to play with Geno...right now, we need a second line besides Sid’s which can sustain some possession...I wouldn’t be worried about spreading out the offense at the moment...

Jake-Sid -X (not Rust)
Rust-G-Phil
X-McCann or Bjug- X (as long as both aren’t Pearson and Horny)
X-Cullen-X

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It's not like Yohe is saying anything crazy here, but it really sounds like the organization wants Bjugstad on Crosby's RW. I wonder if it opens up a RW trade in the near future, because you can't/won't have a lineup with Bjugstad on Crosby's RW without Rust on LW.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sucks to hear about Murray.

Since returning from injury he has;

930.SV%

11-4

12 of 15 games over 900.

Reactions: Peat

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Malkin does well with speedy defensive guys, give him McCann and Rust. Blueger to 3C. He's looked great.

Guentzel-Crosby-Bjugstad
McCann-Malkin-Rust
Pearson-Blueger-Kessel
Simon-Cullen-Hornqvist
ZAR

Also LOL at Sullivan putting Johnson in the top 4 with Dumo. What a f***ing idiot.

Scratch that bum. Like the 8th best on the team, Ruh is even better.

Reactions: The Old Master

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Also LOL at Sullivan putting Johnson in the top 4 with Dumo. What a ****ing idiot.

Scratch that bum. Like the 8th best on the team, Ruh is even better.

Gun to his head, I don't think Sully wants to play JJ top minutes (as in the top 2 pair)
But his philosophy right now is: find the partner who can babysit JJ best

Pretty freakin sad it's come to this

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So Jarry isn't gonna be traded anytime soon. And again the need for three usable NHL tenders rears it's ugly head.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So Jarry isn't gonna be traded anytime soon. And again the need for three usable NHL tenders rears it's ugly head.

But he'll get claimed off waivers next year for sure. So....either trade him or lose him for nothing.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
But he'll get claimed off waivers next year for sure. So....either trade him or lose him for nothing.

They COULD carry three goalies

Not great disaster management...buuuuut...Lol, you know their roster management ability

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think a Guentzel - Crosby - Bjugstad line could be an incredible sight to see. Three highly cerebral, skilled players. All 3 can work down low. I like that line a lot.

I also like Hornqvist with McCann. Hornqvist plays a meat and potatoes game, and from watching McCann I think he plays the same way. The interesting thing I have seen with McCann is how good of a passer he is and how aggressive he is taking pucks to the net. McCann sort of reminds me of Lindholm when he was in Carolina. He seems like a guy that could really flourish in this system with some linemates that jive with his style.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think a Guentzel - Crosby - Bjugstad line could be an incredible sight to see. Three highly cerebral, skilled players. All 3 can work down low. I like that line a lot.

I also like Hornqvist with McCann. Hornqvist plays a meat and potatoes game, and from watching McCann I think he plays the same way. The interesting thing I have seen with McCann is how good of a passer he is and how aggressive he is taking pucks to the net. McCann sort of reminds me of Lindholm when he was in Carolina. He seems like a guy that could really flourish in this system with some linemates that jive with his style.

Bjugstad seems awkward and not someone who necessarily processes the game all that well.

If he works with Sid, it's probably a case of adding a different dimension to two small speedy cerebral players with a behemoth having a wingspan of the entire slot area.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Big RH shot who can work the boards and skate should, in theory, work with Guentzel and Sid. I’m excited to see it. That’s the only thing I’m excited to see.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Bjugstad seems awkward and not someone who necessarily processes the game all that well.

If he works with Sid, it's probably a case of adding a different dimension to two small speedy cerebral players with a behemoth having a wingspan of the entire slot area.

One of the biggest things that has been said about Bjugstad since his draft year is that he's an intelligent player. He is kind of lerpy and awkward though. But he is 6'6, so I guess you'll sort of have that.

I just think he will work because of his ability down low and he can open up some space.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Maybe Murray isn’t the type to start 60-65 games. Cap him at like 45.
I'm not the sort of hockey fan who's all about 'grit' and 'jam', but the team really needs to do more to protect their 'tender form being run. And avoid taking him out themselves. It happens with DeSmith, too. I can live with them taking some penalties being more proactive with guys getting too close.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not the sort of hockey fan who's all about 'grit' and 'jam', but the team really needs to do more to protect their 'tender form being run. And avoid taking him out themselves. It happens with DeSmith, too. I can live with them taking some penalties being more proactive with guys getting too close.

Not to pile on Jack Johnson even more, but that's another thing that he's been horrible at this year. I think he's pushed more opposing players on top of Murray/DeSmith than he's pushed out of their way.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side

You’re probably correct but man, we’ve all seen Murray in them skinny jeans. I feel like his gear is half his own body weight. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised that’s hes often hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad