Prospect Info: 62 OA - RW Felix Unger Sorum (Leksand SHL)

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
He sounds like he could be another 2nd round gem from the Canes IMO, and especially with him being two days away from being draft eligible for 2024 yet already promising:

The first Norwegian-born player ever selected by the Canes, Unger Sorum was one of the youngest players available in this year's draft. Just two days away from being 2024 Draft eligible, the high-level passer has played his junior hockey in Sweden with the Leksands program for the past five seasons.

Yorke: "He sees the ice incredibly well. He's a guy that kept getting better and better and better (this year). He's incredibly smart and playmaking. He can put players on his back hip and spin off them to find the open man. He goes to the net and he plays with a bit of sandpaper. On top of that, he's a competitive player."

Offensively talented AND plays with sandpaper? Sounds like the ideal forward Carolina has been chasing recently among roster players in the NHL currently.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He sounds like he could be another 2nd round gem from the Canes IMO, and especially with him being two days away from being draft eligible for 2024 yet already promising:

The first Norwegian-born player ever selected by the Canes, Unger Sorum was one of the youngest players available in this year's draft. Just two days away from being 2024 Draft eligible, the high-level passer has played his junior hockey in Sweden with the Leksands program for the past five seasons.

Yorke: "He sees the ice incredibly well. He's a guy that kept getting better and better and better (this year). He's incredibly smart and playmaking. He can put players on his back hip and spin off them to find the open man. He goes to the net and he plays with a bit of sandpaper. On top of that, he's a competitive player."

Offensively talented AND plays with sandpaper? Sounds like the ideal forward Carolina has been chasing recently among roster players in the NHL currently.

He will win the Selke one day I just know it. Really wish the Flames managed to get another 2nd rounder and picked him :(.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Surely Tom Dundon wouldn't have him signed just to get the bragging rights.
I thought that might be the reason behind it but I figured there’d be more fanfare if that was the case. Surely they’d be mentioning it in reports of the signing.

Possibly it’s a case like Justin Pogge’s many years ago where his family could use the money? I don’t exactly understand signing him now, to be honest. He’s so young and won’t be over any time soon.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Hmm, we do have a pretty good record with nordic 2nd rounders who are on the younger side of their draft year.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I thought that might be the reason behind it but I figured there’d be more fanfare if that was the case. Surely they’d be mentioning it in reports of the signing.

Possibly it’s a case like Justin Pogge’s many years ago where his family could use the money? I don’t exactly understand signing him now, to be honest. He’s so young and won’t be over any time soon.

I think it's probably a financial consideration, but another consideration is how far Sweden has fallen as a productive hotbed for hockey talent. Finland has lapped Sweden in the developmental department and we might want to have a bit more control in his development as a result. we clearly have a lot invested in our scouting in that area and we could be trying to get him into a better situation. who knows. It's mind blowing to me as a fan who has been watching for the past 30 years how far forward Finland has risen and how far Sweden has fallen. the SHL has perhaps fallen behind even the NLA in terms of how you'd rank the european leagues by average talent.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
I think it's probably a financial consideration, but another consideration is how far Sweden has fallen as a productive hotbed for hockey talent. Finland has lapped Sweden in the developmental department and we might want to have a bit more control in his development as a result. we clearly have a lot invested in our scouting in that area and we could be trying to get him into a better situation. who knows. It's mind blowing to me as a fan who has been watching for the past 30 years how far forward Finland has risen and how far Sweden has fallen. the SHL has perhaps fallen behind even the NLA in terms of how you'd rank the european leagues by average talent.

Interesting, I disagree with pretty much everything.

If we take a look at the 3 recent drafts Sweden has 16 players selected in the first round. (75 players in total) Add 3 players from other countries drafted out of Sweden in the first round (Dvorsky, Slovakia, Bichsel, Switzerland, Kasper, Austria). Finland has 2 players selected in the first round over this span and 45 in total.

I would say that Sweden is more than ever a hotbed for talents these days, Clubs like Frölunda, Rögle etc are some of the best developement places in the hockey world. Detroit placed Seider in Rögle because how they handle young prospects. The SHL and HockeyAllsvenskan (2nd tier league) is known for being very good leagues for prospects. The NLA is a solid league but that is moslty because they spend lots of cash on good imports players, there are almost no interesting young domestic swiss players. Swiss have massive problems in the developement department, there is a thread in the prospect section about this. The swiss 06's group seems to be stronger than usual tough.

Sweden should have 10 first rounders on the World Junior Team in Göteborg, if 2nd overall pick Leo Carlsson is available. No other euro country comes close.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Interesting, I disagree with pretty much everything.

If we take a look at the 3 recent drafts Sweden has 16 players selected in the first round. (75 players in total) Add 3 players from other countries drafted out of Sweden in the first round (Dvorsky, Slovakia, Bichsel, Switzerland, Kasper, Austria). Finland has 2 players selected in the first round over this span and 45 in total.

I would say that Sweden is more than ever a hotbed for talents these days, Clubs like Frölunda, Rögle etc are some of the best developement places in the hockey world. Detroit placed Seider in Rögle because how they handle young prospects. The SHL and HockeyAllsvenskan (2nd tier league) is known for being very good leagues for prospects. The NLA is a solid league but that is moslty because they spend lots of cash on good imports players, there are almost no interesting young domestic swiss players. Swiss have massive problems in the developement department, there is a thread in the prospect section about this. The swiss 06's group seems to be stronger than usual tough.

Sweden should have 10 first rounders on the World Junior Team in Göteborg, if 2nd overall pick Leo Carlsson is available. No other euro country comes close.
That's interesting. It just goes to show how confirmation bias on my part with the home team focusing so much on Finland that it gives the impression that Sweden is producing less. I do miss the top end elite stars from Sweden and they're due for one it seems. That's good information.

Sanz4

Feb 1, 2023
That's interesting. It just goes to show how confirmation bias on my part with the home team focusing so much on Finland that it gives the impression that Sweden is producing less. I do miss the top end elite stars from Sweden and they're due for one it seems. That's good information.

What Sweden needs is more prospects of Leo Carlssons caliber. We have produced many first rounders but they are not in the same tier as Dahlin, Pettersson, Raymond or Carlsson.

• Haha
Reactions: MinJaBen

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I might be wrong but it feels like Sweden are realy good at developing top D prospects but are behind in forwards. I compare everyone with P Forsberg and Sundin. Not the easiest to be as good as.

But many interesting players to follow. Raymond, Holtz, Eklund, Carlsson, Wallstedt (G), Bratt, Pettersson, Soderblom, and maby Felix unger Sorum.

Reactions: Vagrant and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Not hearing a lot out of Simon Forsmark who I thought was an underrated pick last draft. I believe he will spend all of this season with the big club, Timra, in the SHL. He seemed to have a nice season for the J20 Timra club.
He is well rounded but doesn’t do anything spectacular. He looks like one of those guys who will need time in NA to see if he can be solid against nhl players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad