OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
“That’s my boy,” Daniels said, “we’re competitive, I’d be lying if I say I didn’t want to do better than him his rookie year.”

“What he did, like you said, is unheard of,” Daniels said, “I’m not comparing myself to him, I mean just me being a competitor, us being from the same area, I want to outdo him. Just like he was a two-time Heisman Finalist, but he ain’t win one, so I won one. That’s my brother, that’s my dawg, what he did is unheard of but that’s just who he is, he’s a confident human being.”

He's competing with him, sure. But he does not say he's better than him. (And I think we know what we'd hear from some on this site if he didn't come out and say he wanted to outdo last year's OROY, who was also the second QB and the second OA pick.)

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Not really. Freedom of speech doesn’t equate to freedom from consequences for what you said. He has the right to say what he feels and other people have the right to call him a turd bucket. Saying his rhetoric is dangerous and shouldn’t be endorsed by the league is not being “unAmerican.”
I think the "unAmerican" argument can be made where we the public looks to punish the guy bc he gave a conservative religious speech at the invitation from a conservative religious group at a closed-to-public invite only ceremony.

Thats okay by me and Im progressive liberal whatever. I dont think he needs to be cut and if he is sponsored .. thats for his corporate sponsors to decide. Big fan of freedom of speech doesnt mean freedom from consequences but here, in such a closed setting ... let them have their hate rally.

Okay .. im wont poke this further.

"Live and let live ..." really hard to truly follow

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think the "unAmerican" argument can be made where we the public looks to punish the guy bc he gave a conservative religious speech at the invitation from a conservative religious group at a closed-to-public invite only ceremony.

Thats okay by me and Im progressive liberal whatever. I dont think he needs to be cut and if he is sponsored .. thats for his corporate sponsors to decide. Big fan of freedom of speech doesnt mean freedom from consequences but here, in such a closed setting ... let them have their hate rally.

Okay .. im wont poke this further.

"Live and let live ..." really hard to truly follow

The problem is there is a fundamental element of telling others how they should live based on shit they can't control behind a lot of the "conservative" speech. Whether it's your gender or the color of your skin, that's not the same as protection for voicing an opinion, which is elective and totally within our control.

This is why the "NO U" free speech argument fails. They're not identical situations. It's the difference between protecting human/civil rights and enforcing social or emotional intelligence.

As I said before, we don't have to examine these same old concepts every single time they're uttered. We know what they are. We can call them stupid without the need to justify it by now. And if people want to continue saying these kinds of things, when the world and the individual have both had ample opportunity to evolve beyond it, we can judge them based on that.

edit: and the audience isn't a get out of jail free card. Would we say the same thing if he was a Klan member dropping N-bombs at Klan rally? It's not illegal. It's protected speech. We should just ignore that? Not saying the Catholic church is the KKK but this idea that these things happen in a bubble doesn't hold up. They're his beliefs, and speaking before a crowd who agrees doesn't make them off limits or temporary. It just reveals them.

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

$89 for a youth small JD jersey
$59 for a toddler McLaurin jersey

f***ing A .. my 1 yr old might just get the hand me down youth Josh Norman jersey collecting dust

• Haha
Reactions: ynotcaps

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
People like Butker need to be called the F out. Worst thing we can say is he is allowed to voice his opinion. Nope. These folks need to be named and shamed. Have zero issues with people calling for him to be cut. There should be no room for "opinions" like that in this day and age.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
These last couple pages have devolved into what's wrong with this country. I thought the JD vs Maye portion of this thread was insufferable, it's been one upped. Would love to get back on Washington football team discussion. Mods shouldn't entertain this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad