Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Thu, May 23 | @ Det | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Gausman vs Flaherty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
IKF hasn't been that bad so far. he's a utility guy,

KK, yeah especially that they knew that he had a nagging foot issue that bothered him for the 2nd half of last year and that he was rehabbing it in the offseason.
IKF was a dumb signing. The fact he hasn’t been terrible doesn’t change that, no one here was a fan of that move. Let’s not try to dress it up now.

Reactions: shaner8989

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
IKF was a dumb signing. The fact he hasn’t been terrible doesn’t change that, no one here was a fan of that move. Let’s not try to dress it up now.
I thought it was at the time but he's on pace for a 2.0+ WAR season. That's fairly good. Keeping Kiermaier and not signing another good bat were bigger mistakes.

Could make an argument they didn't need him because they have a similar player in Clement and he's cheaper.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Now imagine trying to defend this signing with this nonsense. Like the options were only IKF or Espinal. Certain posters will defend every move. No matter how horrible.

It’s not even a bad signing in hindsight. rWAR he’s tied for 2nd on the team with Jansen and Vladdy. fWAR he’s 5th behind Varsho, Jansen, Schneider, and Vladdy.

It’s alright to change your perception of a deal. Whether he’s redundant or not, he’s on pace to provide surplus value while other options (Espinal, Biggio, even Clement) aren’t as good.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It’s not even a bad signing in hindsight. rWAR he’s tied for 2nd on the team with Jansen and Vladdy. fWAR he’s 5th behind Varsho, Jansen, Schneider, and Vladdy.

It’s alright to change your perception of a deal. Whether he’s redundant or not, he’s on pace to provide surplus value while other options (Espinal, Biggio, even Clement) aren’t as good.
Clement has been quite a bit better by both bWAR and fWAR... IKF just has 50% more playing time.

Regardless, this isn't a good time to be complaining about the IKF signing. I thought it was terrible at the time, but so far it's been a clear win. I'm not convinced he'll keep it up, but he's provided good value so far.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Clement has been quite a bit better by both bWAR and fWAR... IKF just has 50% more playing time.

Regardless, this isn't a good time to be complaining about the IKF signing. I thought it was terrible at the time, but so far it's been a clear win. I'm not convinced he'll keep it up, but he's provided good value so far.

Clement’s value is largely built on the bulk of his playing time against lefties. I don’t really see him getting in over IKF against righties.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
At 7.5M, he's a luxury on a contender.

The issue was never that the Jays signed IKF (or even the role that he is playing). The issue is that the Jays pursued IKF instead of other options that could have improved the team.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
At 7.5M, he's a luxury on a contender.

The issue was never that the Jays signed IKF (or even the role that he is playing). The issue is that the Jays pursued IKF instead of other options that could have improved the team.
Perhaps they wouldn't have signed here but I wish the Jays signed Bellinger and Joc Pederson instead of our trio of mediocrity.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Perhaps they wouldn't have signed here but I wish the Jays signed Bellinger and Joc Pederson instead of our trio of mediocrity.
Bellinger has both risks and the kind of contract that Toronto was never offering. Basically, if he's decent, he has a 1-year deal and if he sucks, he has a 3 year deal.

Joc Pederson is an interesting guy and I'm not really sure what happened with him.

The big issue (and it's been one for a while) is that the correct way to fix problems is to address them in a thought-out, intelligent manner. This is the exact opposite of what Toronto has done when they traded the 2nd best and 3rd best outfielder in the free agent market one year before free agency (one for a reliever, an incredible downgrade in value, and the other as a throw-in). After that, they traded a premium for a defense-first CF only to sign a defense-first CF and render him redundant.

The Belt signing was spectacular, and I'm a huge Turner fan BUT...
You don't add Turner, KK, and IKF and say that you've improved dramatically.

The way to fix the issues is either through trading or by developing better. Development and drafting falls on Shapiro/Atkins (Note: outside of Bo, the best prospect in terms of drafting/development in the Shapiro/Atkins era is arguably Manoah).

There were lots of debates about what should have happened and what did, but the long and short is that if the free agents weren't to management's liking, then management should have been acquiring players via trade.

One thing to note: Daniel Vogelbach was a spring training invite who has done nothing to justify being on this roster at this point. There hasn't been a valid reason why he's here over Horwitz at any point really and this will only get worse as other guys make cases why they should be up).

We are quickly approaching the point where Orelvis should be called up to be the every day 2B and see if he takes the spot and runs. Calling him up simply removes Vogelbach.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Bellinger has both risks and the kind of contract that Toronto was never offering. Basically, if he's decent, he has a 1-year deal and if he sucks, he has a 3 year deal.

Joc Pederson is an interesting guy and I'm not really sure what happened with him.

The big issue (and it's been one for a while) is that the correct way to fix problems is to address them in a thought-out, intelligent manner. This is the exact opposite of what Toronto has done when they traded the 2nd best and 3rd best outfielder in the free agent market one year before free agency (one for a reliever, an incredible downgrade in value, and the other as a throw-in). After that, they traded a premium for a defense-first CF only to sign a defense-first CF and render him redundant.

The Belt signing was spectacular, and I'm a huge Turner fan BUT...
You don't add Turner, KK, and IKF and say that you've improved dramatically.

The way to fix the issues is either through trading or by developing better. Development and drafting falls on Shapiro/Atkins (Note: outside of Bo, the best prospect in terms of drafting/development in the Shapiro/Atkins era is arguably Manoah).

There were lots of debates about what should have happened and what did, but the long and short is that if the free agents weren't to management's liking, then management should have been acquiring players via trade.

One thing to note: Daniel Vogelbach was a spring training invite who has done nothing to justify being on this roster at this point. There hasn't been a valid reason why he's here over Horwitz at any point really and this will only get worse as other guys make cases why they should be up).

We are quickly approaching the point where Orelvis should be called up to be the every day 2B and see if he takes the spot and runs. Calling him up simply removes Vogelbach.

Should have sucked harder I guess, like Baltimore, from 2017 till 2021. What did we get out of those years? Where is Gunnar Henderson? Or Jordan Westburg? Or Adley? Hopefully Orelvis turns out good.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Should have sucked harder I guess, like Baltimore, from 2017 till 2021. What did we get out of those years? Where is Gunnar Henderson? Or Jordan Westburg? Or Adley? Hopefully Orelvis turns out good.
Gunnar was a 2nd rounder (like Bo) and Westburg was 30th overall. They have had 3 1st overalls, but they've had more success from their non-top picks than the Jays as well.

The Jays 1st rounders over that time are:
Warmoth (22nd)
Pearson (28)
Groshans (12)
Manoah (11)
Martin (5)
Hoglund (19)
Barriera (23)
Nimmala (20)

This is a terrifying list, where there are a few role players, a reliever who is still yo-yoing up and down 7 years after being drafted, Manoah (who is very good when he's on and hopefully comes back all the way from whatever last year was). It's a bit early on the last 3, but the early signs aren't super positive.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
The 2022 and 2023 are at least starting out better than the earlier years, but it is entirely possible that the best players from the 2017-2019 drafts are Schneider, Barger, Horwitz in that order (or that the Jays get 5 total players from those 3 years).

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Gunnar was a 2nd rounder (like Bo) and Westburg was 30th overall. They have had 3 1st overalls, but they've had more success from their non-top picks than the Jays as well.

The Jays 1st rounders over that time are:
Warmoth (22nd)
Pearson (28)
Groshans (12)
Manoah (11)
Martin (5)
Hoglund (19)
Barriera (23)
Nimmala (20)

This is a terrifying list, where there are a few role players, a reliever who is still yo-yoing up and down 7 years after being drafted, Manoah (who is very good when he's on and hopefully comes back all the way from whatever last year was). It's a bit early on the last 3, but the early signs aren't super positive.
The one silver lining is that they managed to make great trades out of Martin and Hoglund before too much of the shine wore off.

Reactions: MS

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Nice 10 pitch at bat from George leads to a double then he fails to advance on a fly out to right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad