2024 Season Ticket Renewals / Playoffs

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There were two empty seats behind my season tix last night at the game. There is never the same people in them and there are about eight in a row that are always for sale. Has to be a ticket reseller and looks like the didn’t sell those last night. Talked to someone in the lower bowl who listed his tickets for all three games just to lower his cost, wasn’t above face value. Never sold them once,

Just because it’s never the same people doesn’t mean it’s a reseller. Could be a company that gives them to clients and staff like I did for 25 years with 4 tickets. And sometimes they go unused. Maybe the guy in the lower bowl has shitty seats comparatively speaking to what others were available on the resale market.

Either way the tickets were still sold by the Oilers. Dont get what the concern is about resale tickets. Yes they are stupid expensive. But the building looked pretty full of people having a total blast to me.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Just because it’s never the same people doesn’t mean it’s a reseller. Could be a company that gives them to clients and staff like I did for 25 years with 4 tickets. And sometimes they go unused. Maybe the guy in the lower bowl has shitty seats comparatively speaking to what others were available on the resale market.

Either way the tickets were still sold by the Oilers. Dont get what the concern is about resale tickets. Yes they are stupid expensive. But the building looked pretty full of people having a total blast to me.
Oh I’m sure it’s a reseller, those same group of tickets are always for sale on the resell market.

I’m actually not really concerned about it, I was just responding to your post that the resale market will be expensive. It was a ton of fun in there and Im sure the next round will be the same.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Oh I’m sure it’s a reseller, those same group of tickets are always for sale on the resell market.

I’m actually not really concerned about it, I was just responding to your post that the resale market will be expensive. It was a ton of fun in there and Im sure the next round will be the same.

I can’t wait for round 2! I missed round 1!

Reactions: Sra1974

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
If it's Nashville, I expect resellers to lose money like they did with LA, selling tickets below face value to recoup costs.

If it's Vancouver, the secondary market will be wild and those seats WILL go.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If it's Nashville, I expect resellers to lose money like they did with LA, selling tickets below face value to recoup costs.

If it's Vancouver, the secondary market will be wild and those seats WILL go.

If I remember right seats next to me in 217 for the series against the Flames were selling for over $800/game. I imagine it will be in that ballpark at least, hopefully more to keep as much Nuck scum out of the rink as possible.

lbc9876

Apr 5, 2019
At least the season ticket holders don't really get rinsed too badly. There is about a $70 spread between the price I paid for each of my seats and face value from the Oilers, which is pretty strong on a one game basis.

Another weird thing - the available tickets today have changed throughout the day. There are different seats available now than in the morning, and I'm talking about the seats the Oilers sell, not resale. There appears to be a lot more blue now than even a few hours ago. I have some friends that were thinking of going so I looked to see if there was any availability in my row this morning and there wasn't, but now there is.

Can't help but feel like someone, somewhere f***ed something up with this.
That's just an optical illusion Ticketmaster plays. They do it for concerts as well. There could be 2000 seats and they will make it seem full... Kind of a scam if you ask me.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

lbc9876

Apr 5, 2019
A potential Game 4 where few would buy especially with the Nucks in the lead shows well over 2000 tickets available in an 18,000 person arena. So between whoever wanted tickets for this game today, and how many SSH are going to the playoffs but not renewing... This number is gonna get a WHOLE lot bigger. If they don't get Connor and Leon signing up soon, I can't even imagine what this seating chart will look like. A big fking smurf.

1714764603512.png

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
A potential Game 4 where few would buy especially with the Nucks in the lead shows well over 2000 tickets available in an 18,000 person arena. So between whoever wanted tickets for this game today, and how many SSH are going to the playoffs but not renewing... This number is gonna get a WHOLE lot bigger. If they don't get Connor and Leon signing up soon, I can't even imagine what this seating chart will look like. A big fking smurf.

View attachment 864183
Thats for the Oilers Home game 4, which would be the Series game 7. If it is Blue, then its the Oilers selling them not resellers (which are pink). There is an extra fee on ticketmaster for resellers. Use FansFirst or buy mine...

cantthinkofone

Mar 10, 2017

View attachment 864183
I'm looking to buy game 1 and 2 right now. I dont think there's any market for buying a game 4 in edmonton right now. Chance are we play Vancouver so there would be no game 4 at home. If nashville comes out on top more people well start buying that game.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

View attachment 864183

You do realize there is no Game 4 if we play the Canucks which is the most likely option at this point. Nobody is buying expensive tickets for a game that probably won’t happen.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Anyone interested in my game 3 and 4 tickets, looking for what i paid for them. Section 129, row 28, DM me. I'm working out of town.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Pretty gutted as a season ticket holder right now.

Big draw is priority playoff tickets, but so many resellers who are taking a massive L on tickets are selling them for way below cost.

I can grab equivalent tickets right now for $100 less than what the Oilers charged me.

With the way resellers are purging their tickets right now, I doubt the building even sells out. Can grab after market tickets for $100+ less than you pay for a standard ticket.

Consumers are hurting, and the Oilers didn't do any favors by jacking tickets to the moon.

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019

Big draw is priority playoff tickets, but so many resellers who are taking a massive L on tickets are selling them for way below cost.

I can grab equivalent tickets right now for $100 less than what the Oilers charged me.

With the way resellers are purging their tickets right now, I doubt the building even sells out. Can grab after market tickets for $100+ less than you pay for a standard ticket.

Consumers are hurting, and the Oilers didn't do any favors by jacking tickets to the moon.
Yep, I agree completely. If you're a season seat holder who can't make it tonight, for example, and all you wanted to do was recoup your cost you won't even be able to do that.

I'm all for trying to get rid of scalpers as that sucks for everyone, but they've increased the prices too much, and the biggest incentive for season ticket holders, playoff tickets at "reasonable" prices, is completely gone now. Oilers were selling club seats from the Oilers at face value for $1400 a ticket this series. I get that it's the conference finals but that's an insane number to me.

It's certainly wild that for a freaking Oilers playoff game in the conference finals you could buy a ticket a couple hours before puck drop tonight directly from the Oilers, or buy a resale ticket for a significant markdown compared to the face value.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yep, I agree completely. If you're a season seat holder who can't make it tonight, for example, and all you wanted to do was recoup your cost you won't even be able to do that.

I'm all for trying to get rid of scalpers as that sucks for everyone, but they've increased the prices too much, and the biggest incentive for season ticket holders, playoff tickets at "reasonable" prices, is completely gone now. Oilers were selling club seats from the Oilers at face value for $1400 a ticket this series. I get that it's the conference finals but that's an insane number to me.

It's certainly wild that for a freaking Oilers playoff game in the conference finals you could buy a ticket a couple hours before puck drop tonight directly from the Oilers, or buy a resale ticket for a significant markdown compared to the face value.

Another thing the Oilers fail to recognize is demand isn't fluid.

In 2017 it cost you $400 at least to get in the door in round 1 because we hadn't been there for 1- years and everyone wanted to make sure they saw a game. Now that the first round is kind of mundane and ho hum, you don't have near the number of people that HAVE to be there which drives up the price.

At this point the Final is probably the only place where ticket holders would see any sort of win.

Reactions: Balakay14

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
Another thing the Oilers fail to recognize is demand isn't fluid.

In 2017 it cost you $400 at least to get in the door in round 1 because we hadn't been there for 1- years and everyone wanted to make sure they saw a game. Now that the first round is kind of mundane and ho hum, you don't have near the number of people that HAVE to be there which drives up the price.

At this point the Final is probably the only place where ticket holders would see any sort of win.
For sure, I think it's going to be very interesting to watch moving forward. Seems like a lot of season ticket holders didn't renew this year, I did, but I'm still kinda on the fence about it for next year, especially with another significant price increase.

I don't know if they've advertised it for this round, but they were still advertising the "secure you season seats for the 24-25 season and get the same seats for the current playoff run" in round 2 against the Canucks, which again I think demonstrates that the demand at these prices isn't there.

And I can't even fathom if they increase the playoff ticket prices by the same margin for next year. In my upper bowl section we'd be at like $350 or $370 tickets for the second round, which would be insane.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
For sure, I think it's going to be very interesting to watch moving forward. Seems like a lot of season ticket holders didn't renew this year, I did, but I'm still kinda on the fence about it for next year, especially with another significant price increase.

I don't know if they've advertised it for this round, but they were still advertising the "secure you season seats for the 24-25 season and get the same seats for the current playoff run" in round 2 against the Canucks, which again I think demonstrates that the demand at these prices isn't there.

And I can't even fathom if they increase the playoff ticket prices by the same margin for next year. In my upper bowl section we'd be at like $350 or $370 tickets for the second round, which would be insane.

I renewed for next year, but am already questioning whether I want to go through with it at all now that it's apparent that I can just walk up and buy playoff tickets now due to their pricing strategy.

On that note - does anyone know what happens to the 20% deposit if you don't renew? I know it's "refundable," but I don't know if that means refundable in money or refundable in Ticketmaster credits.

Reactions: Balakay14

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah, this is kinda crazy really, and a direct result of the WAY overpriced tickets. I have never been to a playoff game in my life, but have been to probably 75 regular season games (I don't live in Alberta). I would love to take my kid to a playoff game, but even for upper deck tickets, the cheapest on Ticketmaster was $410+tax, so almost $900 just for 2 crappy tickets. The vast majority of people are gonna take a hard pass on that.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Yeah, this is kinda crazy really, and a direct result of the WAY overpriced tickets. I have never been to a playoff game in my life, but have been to probably 75 regular season games (I don't live in Alberta). I would love to take my kid to a playoff game, but even for upper deck tickets, the cheapest on Ticketmaster was $410+tax, so almost $900 just for 2 crappy tickets. The vast majority of people are gonna take a hard pass on that.

I imagine you'd be able to get some cheap tickets tonight. They're down to $240 on resale and continuing to fall.

People desperately trying to dump tickets and taking massive losses. I'm debating just cancelling my renewal next year. Why the hell as a season ticket holder am I paying $100 MORE than someone who can just hop on and buy tickets right now.

Absolute joke really.

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
I renewed for next year, but am already questioning whether I want to go through with it at all now that it's apparent that I can just walk up and buy playoff tickets now due to their pricing strategy.

On that note - does anyone know what happens to the 20% deposit if you don't renew? I know it's "refundable," but I don't know if that means refundable in money or refundable in Ticketmaster credits.
I'm in the exact same boat. I love the Oilers, I love going to games, but the main reason I got my season seats was for guaranteed playoff tickets at non-resale / non-scalper prices.

It was a good proposition last year as I felt the playoff ticket prices were fair enough that there was still value to me, and there certainly wasn't resale tickets being sold for $100+ cheaper than my season seat holder price.

But if they keep this pricing strategy moving forward, and I don't know why they'd reverse it as this point, it feels like what's the point because I can just walk up and buy tickets now, and depending on the game you might even be able to buy a comparatively "cheap" ticket, like what's happening for tonight.

Of course the big one is the Cup Finals, and knock on wood I'm going to get to see that this year, and I think no matter what those resale tickets are going to be super marked up and will sell because it's been 18 years since the Oilers were last in the Finals; but it still may be cheaper to just not do the season tickets and then pay those marked up prices for Cup Finals tickets if they make it there, which again is insane.

Is it "refundable"? If so that's good to know, because I thought the Oilers would just take the deposit if you backed out. My guess is it would be Ticketmaster credits as that's that less consumer friendly option, but maybe they do give you your money back.

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
They're definitely asking a ton from the market. Like my two upper bowl tickets are $370 each for this round, which is a lot of money and that's the "cheap" price we get as season ticket holders. In my same section the Oilers were selling "face value" tickets from the Oilers for this round at $500 a ticket, that's a massive ask to ask your consumer to spend $1000 for two people to go to a single game, in the upper bowl. The tickets at those prices definitely weren't selling though as the Oilers have marked them down to $439 now.

They saw the scalper prices, wanted to make sure they got as much of the pie as they could (and it does counteract scalping), but they've gone too far.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
They're definitely asking a ton from the market. Like my two upper bowl tickets are $370 each for this round, which is a lot of money and that's the "cheap" price we get as season ticket holders. In my same section the Oilers were selling "face value" tickets from the Oilers for this round at $500 a ticket, that's a massive ask to ask your consumer to spend $1000 for two people to go to a single game, in the upper bowl. The tickets at those prices definitely weren't selling though as the Oilers have marked them down to $439 now.

They saw the scalper prices, wanted to make sure they got as much of the pie as they could (and it does counteract scalping), but they've gone too far.

Yep. What is the draw of actually owning seasons seats outside of the discount you get on items/food/beer etc. And even then, for the price the Oilers soaked me with to get my uppers for this round, I could have bought the equivalent tickets on resale right now and got myself a jersey with the savings.

They have completely botched this, and I cannot imagine they don't lose a boatload of season seat holders as a result.

When it starts costing you money to support the team over someone who doesn't..... Why do it.

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
Yep. What is the draw of actually owning seasons seats outside of the discount you get on items/food/beer etc. And even then, for the price the Oilers soaked me with to get my uppers for this round, I could have bought the equivalent tickets on resale right now and got myself a jersey with the savings.

They have completely botched this, and I cannot imagine they don't lose a boatload of season seat holders as a result.

When it starts costing you money to support the team over someone who doesn't..... Why do it.
Yeah I think that's the biggest thing right now, is what is the actual draw or incentive to being a season ticket holder? Guaranteed playoff tickets used to mean something because the only tickets available were re-sale tickets at extreme mark ups. But every single game these playoffs there's been tickets from the Oilers available to purchase, and re-sale tickets for the same price or even cheaper than what I pay as a season seat holder.

Ultimately it just feels like there's zero incentive to have them anymore, and I can't see it getting any better next year with the significant price increase they did for the regular season.

Reactions: McBigYak

Simby

Oct 11, 2016

Curious where your seats are and what your STH cost is?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Curious where your seats are and what your STH cost is?

We are row 2 section 214. I believe for this round it was $375ish.

Can grab a set in Section 215 row 3 for $289 on ticketmaster right now.

Can go in section 212 row 9 and grab them for $245. They're worse seats yes, but they're also $260 cheaper for slightly worse seats. I buy these all day over paying $375 for mine if I had the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad