2024 NHL Draft

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So, in the case that we do have a 1st round pick this year then what should we be leaning towards?

I think our pick is in the low 20's if it isn't #32.

After re-stocking the system with LHD's and Bolduc as our most ready to earn a regular spot next season, I think we're set there. Romanov's development has made me much more comfortable about the position too. I think adding a quality RHD prospect either with the 1st or 2nd rounder (we do have a 2nd, right?) is a big need. History has shown that you need to invest serious draft capital in RHD's to get a good one - Dobson and Pulock were 1sts and Mayfield an early 2nd rounder. This draft class looks like a strong defensive class too so it would be wise to grab one this year. I do love them rangy 6'3 types that you can never have enough of.

Otherwise a high upside C would be nice, I am encouraged about Danny Nelson after seeing him in action at the WJC. 6'3 center in the mold of Brock would be really nice. I'm glad to see the organization gravitating towards plus skating so I hope that trend continues as I think it's a prerequisite.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So, in the case that we do have a 1st round pick this year then what should we be leaning towards?

I think our pick is in the low 20's if it isn't #32.

After re-stocking the system with LHD's and Bolduc as our most ready to earn a regular spot next season, I think we're set there. Romanov's development has made me much more comfortable about the position too. I think adding a quality RHD prospect either with the 1st or 2nd rounder (we do have a 2nd, right?) is a big need. History has shown that you need to invest serious draft capital in RHD's to get a good one - Dobson and Pulock were 1sts and Mayfield an early 2nd rounder. This draft class looks like a strong defensive class too so it would be wise to grab one this year. I do love them rangy 6'3 types that you can never have enough of.

Otherwise a high upside C would be nice, I am encouraged about Danny Nelson after seeing him in action at the WJC. 6'3 center in the mold of Brock would be really nice. I'm glad to see the organization gravitating towards plus skating so I hope that trend continues as I think it's a prerequisite.

In the current Tankathon, we are picking Sacha Boisvert

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Forward in the first, don’t care the position. RHD in the second. After, whatever.

Really want to hold on to the picks

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
This was right after the Sharks meltdown game I believe hah, what a difference a month makes

I guess I’m a little torn on what to do with this years first. I know we have to start adding to the farm but with how well we’ve (seemingly) done with our later picks, I am leaning towards using it to acquire a player for playoff push. Even better if it’s someone we can keep for longer

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Isles:
Currently have 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks.

Draft 2024:
The first round is shaping up to be real nice with lots of controversy after 1st overall likelihood Macklin Celebrini.

What jumps out at me:
There are a TON of overagers having very good years. Some just miss the age cut last summer, meaning they were very young for last summer's draft, but eligible. Others are European kids who are spending this season in North America for the first time and doing very well. A few others have been on their U18 and U20 teams every step of the way, but are just now making music as pros this season. In addition, two USNTDP forwards and a stay-at-home D who got lost in the numbers game as part of the gold medal winning US under 18 team last season are now in the USHL and doing pretty well. They play for Madison (Finley) and Youngstown (Machu) respectively.

Team to watch:
Baie Comeau, where Justin Gill plays. There's a double overager in Niks Fenenko on the blueline who has been playing for Latvia's U20 team for like 7 years now, and there's a 19-year old righty shot Czech making a lot of noise, Matyas Melovsky. Also, mini-mite Justin Poirier plays with Gill and has 31 goals in 38 games. He's just 17 now and most agencies have him outside of the first round for the draft, likely because he's currently 5'8". Also of note are the Boilard brothers (one 17, one 19, both at roughly a PPG pace) and 17-year old Dman Alexis Bernier. Ironically, none of these three really seem to be ranked at the moment.

Gotta think they're on the radar as the Isles continue to watch Gill. Baie Comeau is also expected to make a run for the championship this season.

Last edited:

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Forward in the first, don’t care the position. RHD in the second. After, whatever.

Really want to hold on to the picks
Unfortunately I don’t see that happening, if there’s a player available that Lou thinks puts us over the top kiss the first and second goodbye. After all this is Lou’s MO.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Unfortunately I don’t see that happening, if there’s a player available that Lou thinks puts us over the top kiss the first and second goodbye. After all this is Lou’s MO.
I don’t mind the other trades he’s made but none were rentals and were tight on cap this year and next. So I’m not seeing the scenario unless Pulock is out till playoffs

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is the time when Lou needs to hold onto the draft picks OR acquire long term pieces like Horvat/Romanov with them and not Palmieri/Pageau.

There really isn't a glaring hole on the roster and the cap situation is pretty restrictive. It's time the organization gets an infusion of young talent.

Draft a RHD with the 1st and BPA center with the 2nd. Hope Danny Nelson is a legit #2C upside talent and he has a strong developmental season. We're set at LHD. Draft a goalie with the 4th rounder.

Reactions: The Real JT

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’m skeptical that Nelson has top six upside so I think they need to draft a high upside center. Nelson/Pageau/Cizikas aren’t that old but Nelson is going to need a new contract at 33/34 and there aren’t many 3C/4Cs that are not expendable.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Isles:
Currently have 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks.

Draft 2024:
The first round is shaping up to be real nice with lots of controversy after 1st overall likelihood Macklin Celebrini.

What jumps out at me:
There are a TON of overagers having very good years. Some just miss the age cut last summer, meaning they were very young for last summer's draft, but eligible. Others are European kids who are spending this season in North America for the first time and doing very well. A few others have been on their U18 and U20 teams every step of the way, but are just now making music as pros this season. In addition, two USNTDP forwards and a stay-at-home D who got lost in the numbers game as part of the gold medal winning US under 18 team last season are now in the USHL and doing pretty well. They play for Madison (Finley) and Youngstown (Machu) respectively.

Team to watch:
Baie Comeau, where Justin Gill plays. There's a double overager in Niks Fenenko on the blueline who has been playing for Latvia's U20 team for like 7 years now, and there's a 19-year old righty shot Czech making a lot of noise, Matyas Melovsky. Also, mini-mite Justin Poirier plays with Gill and has 31 goals in 38 games. He's just 17 now and most agencies have him outside of the first round for the draft, likely because he's currently 5'8". Also of note are the Boilard brothers (one 17, one 19, both at roughly a PPG pace) and 17-year old Dman Alexis Bernier. Ironically, none of these three really seem to be ranked at the moment.

Gotta think they're on the radar as the Isles continue to watch Gill. Baie Comeau is also expected to make a run for the championship this season.
My 'Like' button came back today!!!

You get the first one!

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I don't care about teenage mistakes, this team needs to pick Trevor Connelly in the draft. He's the most skilled player, period. Skates like Barzal, shoots like no one we've had in decades, dynamic in every way, great hockey sense, good defensively, good size, etc. I'm convinced he will be a superstar player in the NHL.

What's his weakness, you may ask? Well... when he was 16 his teammate made a swastika and he took a photo of it and posted it to social media. In this day and age, that's basically career suicide. But he was just a kid and has gone above and beyond to atone for it and realizes it was a dumb, insensitive thing to do.

Lou has always been about 2nd chances when they're earned. Roy is a perfect example of that. Connelly is the Isles chance at a top level talent outside of the top 10 of the draft because other teams will shy away from his past mistakes, but I think Lou would see it for what it is and give this potential superstar another chance. That is, if he doesn't trade the pick.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want Connelly at the draft. Kid's a sure thing, in my mind.

Reactions: NYI365

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't care about teenage mistakes, this team needs to pick Trevor Connelly in the draft. He's the most skilled player, period. Skates like Barzal, shoots like no one we've had in decades, dynamic in every way, great hockey sense, good defensively, good size, etc. I'm convinced he will be a superstar player in the NHL.

What's his weakness, you may ask? Well... when he was 16 his teammate made a swastika and he took a photo of it and posted it to social media. In this day and age, that's basically career suicide. But he was just a kid and has gone above and beyond to atone for it and realizes it was a dumb, insensitive thing to do.

Lou has always been about 2nd chances when they're earned. Roy is a perfect example of that. Connelly is the Isles chance at a top level talent outside of the top 10 of the draft because other teams will shy away from his past mistakes, but I think Lou would see it for what it is and give this potential superstar another chance. That is, if he doesn't trade the pick.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want Connelly at the draft. Kid's a sure thing, in my mind.

Looks like you might get your wish . . .

Today we are taking Connelly

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Looks like you might get your wish . . .

Today we are taking Connelly

Ha!

That site is fun to play with approaching the draft, but I would take the rankings with a grain of salt.

That said, Connelly is ranked 11th by MacKenzie, but I've seen some quotes where people are already scared off by his past. That could drop him to the middle-first right into Lou's lap.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Ha!

That site is fun to play with approaching the draft, but I would take the rankings with a grain of salt.

That said, Connelly is ranked 11th by MacKenzie, but I've seen some quotes where people are already scared off by his past. That could drop him to the middle-first right into Lou's lap.
6'1, 161? Get the boy a steak...jeez.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Connelly committed to Providence. The Providence coach was the coach of TOR's ECHL affiliate when Lou was TOR's GM. A couple of connections, FWIW.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
6'1, 161? Get the boy a steak...jeez.
He needs to fill out for sure, but I think like Pettersson, he will always be relatively thin. I don't think he needs to bulk up too much, that's not his game. Maybe 10-15 lbs of muscle.

Connelly committed to Providence. The Providence coach was the coach of TOR's ECHL affiliate when Lou was TOR's GM. A couple of connections, FWIW.

I did not know that.... things are looking good already!

Here are some highlights of his that showcase some of his skillset:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
He needs to fill out for sure, but I think like Pettersson, he will always be relatively thin. I don't think he needs to bulk up too much, that's not his game. Maybe 10-15 lbs of muscle.

I did not know that.... things are looking good already!

Here are some highlights of his that showcase some of his skillset:

The islanders certainly need more speed and skill up front. Im all for giving a kid a second chance especially after making a dumb social media mistake. My concern would be his attitude. I’m not drafting any me guys first like Ho Sang anymore. Those kinds of talents rarely work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $950.00