2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Goal's to win hockey games, not have human of the year types. Seems like he was basically persona non-grata in the hockey world a few years ago, but he's been fine during his time in Tri-City. If they want to take him off the board so be it, I don't see him as a Top 4 prospect. I'm sure he weon't be there at pick 20, as someone will gamble that bullying stuff from when he was 10/11 and a swastika post two years ago, and an alleged racial slur said on the ice (which he denied, there was a hearing and his suspension was removed/the allegation was removed from his record) three years ago won't get in the way of the hockey stuff. The swastika picture cost him a spot at the NTDP Evaluation Camp, but two years later USA called him up out of the USHL to play in the U18 World Championship.

Whether he's "actually sorry" or just doing the things to get by... actually doesn't matter to me. I don't know how he or anyone else feels in their heart. That's why the only thing to look towards is a person's behavior. If he's an evil person but knows how to make nice and stay out of trouble these days, then from my perspective, he's just a person that's learned how to make nice and stay out of trouble. Frankly if it weren't for the swastika thing, none of the Atlantic article stuff would have ever been deep dived into in the first place. That doesn't necessarily make it better or more ok, but I imagine there's a lot of behind the scenes ugliness with a lot of the "future captain" materials from their youth that just never really comes to light.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Kinda funny, Hawks fans wanting TB to lose for the last two seasons but now next season want them to win because the Preds got Tampas first round pick and the Hawks have the Leafs first round pick.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Goal's to win hockey games, not have human of the year types. Seems like he was basically persona non-grata in the hockey world a few years ago, but he's been fine during his time in Tri-City. If they want to take him off the board so be it, I don't see him as a Top 4 prospect. I'm sure he weon't be there at pick 20, as someone will gamble that bullying stuff from when he was 10/11 and a swastika post two years ago, and an alleged racial slur said on the ice (which he denied, there was a hearing and his suspension was removed/the allegation was removed from his record) three years ago won't get in the way of the hockey stuff. The swastika picture cost him a spot at the NTDP Evaluation Camp, but two years later USA called him up out of the USHL to play in the U18 World Championship.

Whether he's "actually sorry" or just doing the things to get by... actually doesn't matter to me. I don't know how he or anyone else feels in their heart. That's why the only thing to look towards is a person's behavior. If he's an evil person but knows how to make nice and stay out of trouble these days, then from my perspective, he's just a person that's learned how to make nice and stay out of trouble. Frankly if it weren't for the swastika thing, none of the Atlantic article stuff would have ever been deep dived into in the first place. That doesn't necessarily make it better or more ok, but I imagine there's a lot of behind the scenes ugliness with a lot of the "future captain" materials from their youth that just never really comes to light.
The goal isn't only to "win hockey games". I'm actually fairly comfortable giving people second chances. There is way too much smoke and incidents and reporting around the player for it to all be bull shit. There were reports he urinated on other people's things.

Its not just normal kid shit lol. I also doubt he will be there at 20 and I'm not taking him at 4, so its moot, but I'm not a fan of giving people passes for that behavior. Racial slur and Swastika stuff I can pass as being immature and someone moving past. Urinating on people's things is something else entirely.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019

It's not even about whether he's changed or even if he intends to, it's going to be a Wirtz/Faulkner level call based on the optics. Fair to the kid or not.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Picks still gotta hit. Two nineteenth overall picks and a couple spare parts for a seventy point winger on a 1.5 million cap hit for two and a half years it's arguable we still didn't get enough.
I'd also buy that arguement. We're a good prospect or a 2nd short. Hagels are hard to come by. He's a dog. Still do that trade again though.

They chased it again with Jeannot. Oooof.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Picks still gotta hit. Two nineteenth overall picks and a couple spare parts for a seventy point winger on a 1.5 million cap hit for two and a half years it's arguable we still didn't get enough.
True, though at the time there's really no way KD could've got more than he did.

And if he didn't trade him, then we're getting into weird butterfly effect stuff where we don't end up with Bedard.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Unless he posts a 2022-23 season with the Hawks that he did with the Lightning, you're not getting better value than what you got. If you wait too long, he's an expiring contract and doesn't have that multi-year value Tampa paid for. "Gotta hit the picks" is just a rebuild mantra in general.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Trading Hagel also helped get us Bedard and he'll be into his late 20s by the time this team is competing again; which would be even further away if not for getting Bedard.

Deal worked well enough for Tampa. He became a top line winger for them and will be able to be moved for assets in a few years when they finally decide to sell.

But for us, it's worked out great. Just need Moore and this year's pick to hit.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't think anyone is re-doing the trade, but it isn't the massive overpay it was thought to possibly be at the time. If anything, Tampa made out really well.
Some some were saying it was a massive overpay but some were saying it was nothing because those picks were so gonna be 28-32 which was obviously silly with the inevitability of depth loss being 2/3 drafts out.

I just remember, idk who, I know it wasn't KBS, who prior called Hagel grinder mcgrinderson, but someone else was adamant it was great because they saw Hagel as a fluke only wanted for his high s%.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Think both teams got what they wanted. If Hagel sucked but the picks were in Conference Finalist land territory, that's no better for the Hawks.

Reactions: ClydeLee

giza

Jul 19, 2011
The first year, the deal favored the Hawks. Unfortunately, Raddyish in the second year made it tougher. I don't particular like this slot for 1st rounds but it worked out last year with Moore so hoping for the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad