NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I will say, it is nice to see the "stick to sports" crowd come out in defense of a player expressing his political beliefs. This would have made those Kaepernick threads a lot shorter.
I don't think it political or religious because I don't think either accurately fulfill this stupid kickers beliefs.
Also no one invited Keap to express his beliefs while on the clock.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don't think it political or religious because I don't think either accurately fulfill this stupid kickers beliefs.
Also no one invited Keap to express his beliefs while on the clock.
Kaepernick never did on the clock either. He never said anything about his beliefs during games. He only did when reporters repeatedly asked him in interviews.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Criticizing him is fine. Acting like action should be taken against him is laughable.
I personally don't care if he's released (other than being a Raiders fan) but The Chiefs would certainly be within their rights to do so if they actually wanted to.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I personally don't care if he's released (other than being a Raiders fan) but The Chiefs would certainly be within their rights to do so if they actually wanted to.
Just purely on the contractual part of the discussion, Butker is in the final year of his contract. So, no more guaranteed money. So, could be cut at any time up to Wed. before the season kickoff game vs Baltimore with just his $730K restructure charge remaining to take.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm using a blanket statement for the beliefs espoused in scripture. Many self proclaimed and identifying Christians (really, this can be applied to many culture/religion/or whatever identifying body a person belongs to) have deviated heavily from the beliefs and way of life. I consider the source material that true traditionalists subscribe to be a much greater reflection than those who deviate, so my point is that he said nothing that isn't in line with the overarching beliefs of the biggest religious institution in America

Got news for ya, these traditionalists you’re propping up as the greatest reflection of Christians based on the same picking and choosing of what actually matters in scripture for its literal entire existence. Just more people today figuring that out sooner and deciding basing belief system (and even laws) on a subjective infallibility that’s evolved so many times to the point that may even be arbitrary is kind of bullshit and they not afraid to say it.

He’s just in a crowd who is not, despite his platform having created from a life and line of work directly at odds with one of the rules they didn’t feel like using in modern society.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yet you're outraged about Butker having the audacity to share religious beliefs with a religious community. There's nothing wrong with what he did and it would take an incredible amount of ignorance about your fellow human beings to pretend that Christian and Muslim players in the NFL don't share these beliefs
You think him attacking a fellow teammate's girlfriend is ok? LOLOLOLOL

The swifts are gonna chew him up and spit him out.

I can't wait till he's unemployed and his wife has to work.

That would be awesome.

He has that right to say whatever he wants. The Chiefs also have the right to release him as he's representing their brand poorly. I'm sure Mahomes is pumped about having answer questions about Butker for the next 6 months. But freedom of speech/expression is NOT freedom from consequences.

And if this wasn't hate speech, it was very very close. It was quite frankly disgusting as hell. There was nothing "religious" about his speech, it was a speech designed to generate controversy and designed to "teach the women, queers, and minorities their place".

Particularly ironic considering the new story going around. And really not all that surprising. Since this has gone viral quite a few of his old college classmates have started speaking up. Apparently Butker did quite alot of "experimenting" with other men in college. Now I don't really care if Butker is gay or not (his wife might though!). But when his self-loathing turns into him trying to encourage harm to LGBTQ+ people and trying suppress women it becomes everyone's problem. At least everyone with a moral center shouldn't want to platform or listen to that nonsense.
I would not be surprised he is over-compensating for suppressed "feelings"

Totally comes off that way

Reactions: PanthersPens62

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Mahomes already distancing himself from that psycho

No kicker is worth the bad press and drama.

Yep, Peyton Manning had the same shit with Mike Vanderjagt. The last straw was the 2005 divisional game where he shanked that shit far to the right.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't see anything wrong what he said. I do think it's funny we've developed this mass psychosis over the last 40 years that has led to a dominant cultural belief that having kids is the worst thing you can do and that being a homemaker is somehow the worst thing you can be when it's perfectly legitimate and often necessary to raise a family. He does nothing but praise his wife and give her all the credit for his success and still people are not satisfied. It's sad really. Especially coming from a league that condones domestic violence.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see anything wrong what he said. I do think it's funny we've developed this mass psychosis over the last 40 years that has led to a dominant cultural belief that having kids is the worst thing you can do and that being a homemaker is somehow the worst thing you can be when it's perfectly legitimate and often necessary to raise a family. He does nothing but praise his wife and give her all the credit for his success and still people are not satisfied. It's sad really. Especially coming from a league that condones domestic violence.
Only thing left to do then is pair off every woman with a husband making enough money to live on one income stream. Don’t even need a degree or 4 years of college to do that. Maybe we’d be living in a generation that’s not refusing to have kids.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Only thing left to do then is pair off every woman with a husband making enough money to live on one income stream. Don’t even need a degree or 4 years of college to do that. Maybe we’d be living in a generation that’s not refusing to have kids.
Just get an OnlyFans account.

The whole point of the feminist movement was to expand options for women. Then it got flipped into denigrating mothers and homemakers that didn't choose to go to the office or stepped away from careers to raise families. I just can't get behind that kind of vicious thought.

Reactions: Voight

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
You can’t make a public speech, with a platform only given to him because of who he is (which draws more attention to it) and not expect people to clap back. Not how it works.
And I can respond to the clap back. What are you even on about?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no one is saying that

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And I can respond to the clap back. What are you even on about?
No one stopping you, apart from the looming threat of someone deciding we’re took far off topic (best I can tell everyone is cool about it so we’re good with it). Or are the folks who took this beyond a news item to ‘dominant cultural beliefs’ and ‘places where religion is dying’ start with the insinuations and playing the victim complex card start with the attack on expressing beliefs?

The man made public speech with what is being seen by a not insignificant number of people see as strong and archaic religions beliefs and responded. Others respond back, mostly crying about persecution of religion and his courage of standing up for them. No one got arrested. At least not yet.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Things like abortion, IVF, surrogacy, euthanasia, as well as a growing support for degenerate cultural values in media, all stem from the pervasiveness of disorder.
You want to know how I know that Butker is just repeating talking points he has heard elsewhere and can't actually think for himself?

f*** people who can't physically have children, I guess.

Jesus Christ, what a f***ing moron. Do you think he needs an exemption for wearing velcro shoes, or does someone help him tie his shoelaces?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad