NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Yet you're outraged about Butker having the audacity to share religious beliefs with a religious community. There's nothing wrong with what he did and it would take an incredible amount of ignorance about your fellow human beings to pretend that Christian and Muslim players in the NFL don't share these beliefs

Gays are bad and women should stay in the kitchen is basically the cliff notes of what he said.

There is plenty wrong with what he said.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Great lesson here on the fallacy of submitting to a belief system on the account of “religion” as if there hasn’t been changes to that over the course of the history of life.
If your alternative is following the world instead of a religious doctrine, you're essentially saying that what Butker espoused would be acceptable to believe if it was the commonly held belief by society. No one has to agree with Butker but acting like there's anything objectionable or problematic about a religious person espousing religious beliefs to a religious community is pretty funny. Don't follow their system if it isn't for you, that's the wonderful thing about living in a nation of religious freedom.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
If that's what the stupid kicker believes. Well not much any of us can do about it. He has every right to talk about it. Most of us likely don't agree with him and it was not the best venue to express his beliefs. You either believe all/ some/ or none of what he said but I'll defend his right to express himself so long as it's not straight hate speach.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If that's what the stupid kicker believes. Well not much any of us can do about it. He has every right to talk about it. Most of us likely don't agree with him and it was not the best venue to express his beliefs. You either believe all/ some/ or none of what he said but I'll defend his right to express himself so long as it's not straight hate speach.
This is the reasonable take, yet some on here think he should be cut, just lol...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If your alternative is following the world instead of a religious doctrine, you're essentially saying that what Butker espoused would be acceptable to believe if it was the commonly held belief by society. No one has to agree with Butker but acting like there's anything objectionable or problematic about a religious person espousing religious beliefs to a religious community is pretty funny. Don't follow their system if it isn't for you, that's the wonderful thing about living in a nation of religious freedom.
Aren't you the one using blanket statements for Christians and Muslims and placing them at odds with places where 'religion is dying?'

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
This is the reasonable take, yet some on here think he should be cut, just lol...
Not often I get accused of being reasonable.
If he said/ did something going against league / team code of conduct then cut him.It wouldn't shock me going forward if this doesn't change contract wording.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Him speaking at a catholic school doesn’t give him a free ticket to say what he wants. It’s hilarious that you’re saying that, it just reveals the bullshit hate that he’s spewing. He knows his stature and that his voice would be heard far beyond that college. “ReLigouS FreEdom” “You don’t have to agree with him” Yawn. His wife’s life didn’t start until she had a kid with him lmfao, people are defending this guy :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

He has that right to say whatever he wants. The Chiefs also have the right to release him as he's representing their brand poorly. I'm sure Mahomes is pumped about having answer questions about Butker for the next 6 months. But freedom of speech/expression is NOT freedom from consequences.

And if this wasn't hate speech, it was very very close. It was quite frankly disgusting as hell. There was nothing "religious" about his speech, it was a speech designed to generate controversy and designed to "teach the women, queers, and minorities their place".

Particularly ironic considering the new story going around. And really not all that surprising. Since this has gone viral quite a few of his old college classmates have started speaking up. Apparently Butker did quite alot of "experimenting" with other men in college. Now I don't really care if Butker is gay or not (his wife might though!). But when his self-loathing turns into him trying to encourage harm to LGBTQ+ people and trying suppress women it becomes everyone's problem. At least everyone with a moral center shouldn't want to platform or listen to that nonsense.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Aren't you the one using blanket statements for Christians and Muslims and placing them at odds with places where 'religion is dying?'
I'm using a blanket statement for the beliefs espoused in scripture. Many self proclaimed and identifying Christians (really, this can be applied to many culture/religion/or whatever identifying body a person belongs to) have deviated heavily from the beliefs and way of life. I consider the source material that true traditionalists subscribe to be a much greater reflection than those who deviate, so my point is that he said nothing that isn't in line with the overarching beliefs of the biggest religious institution in America

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
He has that right to say whatever he wants. The Chiefs also have the right to release him as he's representing their brand poorly. I'm sure Mahomes is pumped about having answer questions about Butker for the next 6 months. But freedom of speech/expression is NOT freedom from consequences.

And if this wasn't hate speech, it was very very close. It was quite frankly disgusting as hell. There was nothing "religious" about his speech, it was a speech designed to generate controversy and designed to "teach the women, queers, and minorities their place".

Particularly ironic considering the new story going around. And really not all that surprising. Since this has gone viral quite a few of his old college classmates have started speaking up. Apparently Butker did quite alot of "experimenting" with other men in college. Now I don't really care if Butker is gay or not (his wife might though!). But when his self-loathing turns into him trying to encourage harm to LGBTQ+ people and trying suppress women it becomes everyone's problem. At least everyone with a moral center shouldn't want to platform or listen to that nonsense.
Agreed , I also think most hate of any sort comes deep from within, except for my healthy dislike for the Penguins.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Yet you're outraged about Butker having the audacity to share religious beliefs with a religious community. There's nothing wrong with what he did and it would take an incredible amount of ignorance about your fellow human beings to pretend that Christian and Muslim players in the NFL don't share these beliefs
Well, considering they posted it on the internet for everyone to see they were obviously going to get a reaction. Your last sentence is completely irrelevant to this argument. You can assume all you want though. The fact that you don't think what Butker said is highly offensive even to most religious people says a lot more about you than anything else.

So he has the right to say what he wants but we don't have the right to criticize him for it. Some real sound logic there.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Whole lot of projection in here.

Sure but they don't appear to share the belief that he is doing so.

His remarks are entirely in line with the beliefs of the religion, if you don't agree that's your prerogative but we don't need to pretend it's something that it isn't.

Particularly ironic considering the new story going around. And really not all that surprising. Since this has gone viral quite a few of his old college classmates have started speaking up. Apparently Butker did quite alot of "experimenting" with other men in college. Now I don't really care if Butker is gay or not (his wife might though!).
Interesting that this is the common accusation every time this sort of thing comes up.

it becomes everyone's problem. At least everyone with a moral center shouldn't want to platform or listen to that nonsense.
It is the problem of those with nothing better to do than feign outrage and no one else.

• Haha
Reactions: Bocephus86

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'm using a blanket statement for the beliefs espoused in scripture. Many self proclaimed and identifying Christians (really, this can be applied to many culture/religion/or whatever identifying body a person belongs to) have deviated heavily from the beliefs and way of life. I consider the source material that true traditionalists subscribe to be a much greater reflection than those who deviate, so my point is that he said nothing that isn't in line with the overarching beliefs of the biggest religious institution in America
I'm sorry but if you think most Catholics think that way than you're completely out of touch with reality. Btw, can you post the parts of the bible where it says women should be slaves to their husbands?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Well, considering they posted it on the internet for everyone to see they were obviously going to get a reaction. Your last sentence is completely irrelevant to this argument. You can assume all you want though. The fact that you don't think what Butker said is highly offensive even to most religious people says a lot more about you than anything else.

So he has the right to say what he wants but we don't have the right to criticize him for it. Some real sound logic there.
Criticizing him is fine. Acting like action should be taken against him is laughable.

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Even among Catholics, he's on the extreme end of these things, but yeah, a Catholic talking about his religious beliefs at a Catholic college isn't surprising.

What was surprising was him also throwing in nonsense like this:

“Congress just passed a bill where stating something as basic as the Biblical teaching of who killed Jesus could land you in jail.”

That's not true. It's not even close to true. It's conspiracy garbage.

Sep 19, 2008
he's free to say whatever he wants and people are free to disagree.

he's not losing his job over it but the chiefs probably told him not to say that shit again like Brady to Jeff Ross

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

I don't know how you read he can't be criticized In to what I posted.Fire away and I'll defend you as well , so long as it's not straight hate speach.
You can agree or disagree and I'm ok either way. I have my opinion as does everyone.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
he's free to say whatever he wants and people are free to disagree.

he's not losing his job over it but the chiefs probably told him not to say that shit again like Brady to Jeff Ross
I will say, it is nice to see the "stick to sports" crowd come out in defense of a player expressing his political beliefs. This would have made those Kaepernick threads a lot shorter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad