GDT: 2023 XFL/USFL Thread

Sep 19, 2008
I mean I'm not entirely opposed to hubs but if the Philadelphia Stars want to play in a Mid-atlantic hub you know damn well I'm not seeing them. I'm only watching the Defenders lol

That said it would be curious to see Philly fans take over a stadium 2 hours south to see the Stars play. Originally in the USFL S2 they played in Detroit. Washington is a much more doable drive.

Sep 19, 2008
The more I think of it the more I would welcome our Philly brethren to Audi Field, assuming this merger takes place and Audi is selected as a hub. It would logically make sense as the Stars are 2 years in without playing in a nearby stadium. I may have to go just to see how many Philly and Eagles fans take over Audi for a game. :popcorn:

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The XFL basically wanted to lurch off the CFL’s revenues. The CFL was/is still the stronger league, it made no sense for them, as evidenced by the fact that Dwayne was trying to merge before even playing a down.
This might be true but the quality of players in the CFL is not very good anymore. This merger won't help that. If salaries are equal why would any American choose to come north if they can avoid the taxes?

The exposure the CFL could have had in the states would have went a long way in recruiting better players.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This might be true but the quality of players in the CFL is not very good anymore. This merger won't help that. If salaries are equal why would any American choose to come north if they can avoid the taxes?

The exposure the CFL could have had in the states would have went a long way in recruiting better players.
The issue isn’t exposure, everyone knows it’s there, agents can and I guess do know to direct their players there as an option, but it’s that it’s seen as a materially different version of the game. Similarly to European hockey, players who go to Canada from the NFL do so more often because they’re continuing their careers by leaving the NFL behind, whereas the spring leagues are trying to get players in.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

The quality of players in the CFL is not really affected by the XFL.

What would help is further increasing minimum salaries in the CFL to convince more players released from NFL practice rosters to make the jump. Right now, the minimum salary is a bit of an impediment.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The quality of players in the CFL is not really affected by the XFL.

What would help is further increasing minimum salaries in the CFL to convince more players released from NFL practice rosters to make the jump. Right now, the minimum salary is a bit of an impediment.
Over the past few years, the NFL PS sizes have increased from like 8 to 16. And players on the PS make like $12K (2 years and less) and like $14K per week for those more experienced.

What were the XFL paying? Was it like $8-$10K USD a game or something over their 10 week season of games? I saw that the CFL salary cap is like $4.5 million CAD.

Given the choice between $80-$100K USD which is $105K to $130K CAD and in only around half the games (I think this is a big deal as well), not a surprise players would opt for a US spring league, even taking the chance that it folds life the AAFL did halfway through their season.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Over the past few years, the NFL PS sizes have increased from like 8 to 16. And players on the PS make like $12K (2 years and less) and like $14K per week for those more experienced.

What were the XFL paying? Was it like $8-$10K USD a game or something over their 10 week season of games? I saw that the CFL salary cap is like $4.5 million CAD.

Given the choice between $80-$100K USD which is $105K to $130K CAD and in only around half the games (I think this is a big deal as well), not a surprise players would opt for a US spring league, even taking the chance that it folds life the AAFL did halfway through their season.

Xfl minimum salary

• Base Salary: $59,000
  • Per-Game Salary: $5,000
  • Bonus: $1,000 per win
from How Much Do XFL Players Make? Breaking Down Salaries After the Season's End

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

The CFL salary cap is 5.45 million CDN.

The better players in the CFL can make a couple hundred thousand or more per season plus playoff money. I'm referring to players released from NFL practice rosters that can't find a home on any other practice rosters. I have heard it can be a really problem for the CFL to draw some of these players up north given current minimum salaries for players on the starting 45 man roster. Something close to $100,000 would probably attract more players to training camps. However, that would require a bump in salary cap.. say something close to another million per team per season. I don't think that is in the cards any time soon.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
XFL was 10 games long. So, $59 plus $50 (assuming you played all the games), and say you went 5-5, that is $114K USD. Solid $11K USD per game. How many CFLers get $11K per game since it's 18 games? Probably only the QBs.

I am taking that as 59K, not 59K + 5K per game

So if you are on the team for 3 games you will make 15K but if you last the entire season it will be 59K

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
XFL was 10 games long. So, $59 plus $50 (assuming you played all the games), and say you went 5-5, that is $114K USD. Solid $11K USD per game. How many CFLers get $11K per game since it's 18 games? Probably only the QBs.
114k works out to about $150,000 Canadian.

Here are a series of articles detailing the top paid players at each position:

There are probably around 100 players that make 150000 or more (and they don't have to play all the games to achieve this) in the CFL. You can probably add a few dozen more players when you factor in playoff money.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
114k works out to about $150,000 Canadian.

Here are a series of articles detailing the top paid players at each position:

There are probably around 100 players that make 150000 or more (and they don't have to play all the games to achieve this) in the CFL. You can probably add a few dozen more players when you factor in playoff money.
I see. But it still a way longer season in the cfl. Even if you end up not playing all 18 games. Big difference between 10 vs 18 games. A lot more wear and tear on the body.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I see. But it still a way longer season in the cfl. Even if you end up not playing all 18 games. Big difference between 10 vs 18 games. A lot more wear and tear on the body.
The CFL field is bigger and the players tend to be smaller. I'm not so sure the players in the CFL experience more more and tear given those factors.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It won't take the XFL long before they can start paying players really good salaries that will make the CLf look like a charity case. 2nd tier American players will choose playing in the states over Canada 9 times out of 10. This will leave the CFL with less talent to build around. Currently The CFL has a quarterback issue and NFL third stringers would light it up here. Like seriously, who is the best CFL player right now and how long has he been it? CFL has zero star power and it's because they can't pay 2nd tier players enough.

Gone are the days where we get a Jeff Garcia who lights up the CFL and has a solid NFL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad