Patriots/NFL 2023 Off-Season II: Patriots cornerback Jack Jones arrested at Logan Airport with guns in carry-on luggage

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

“If you have 15 first-round grades, then the class sucks,” said one general manager Saturday. “And I got less than 15 this year.”​

I’d peg the league consensus as having eight non-quarterbacks in the top group, with three pass-rushers (Georgia DT Jalen Carter, Alabama OLB Will Anderson Jr., Texas Tech DE Tyree Wilson), two corners (Illinois’s Devon Witherspoon, Oregon’s Christian Gonzalez), two offensive linemen (Ohio State’s Paris Johnson Jr., Northwestern’s Peter Skoronski), and Texas tailback Bijan Robinson in that crew.​

If Gonzalez or Witherspoon were to slip down here (doubtful), the Patriots would probably just take whichever one did. If not, New England is sitting in the range just past the first-round cliff, where players with second-round grades in some draft rooms start to come off the board. That’s when teams lean a little more towards need, and tackle is the biggest one the Patriots have, with older vets Riley Reiff and Trent Brown, and journeyman Calvin Anderson their answers right now at the position. Jaxon Smith-Njigba would be an exceptional scheme fit, but I don’t know that the Patriots could afford to take him and ignore their other needs, particularly given that they’re at premium positions that aren’t easy to fill later in the draft.​

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

Let me tell you about a GM with a pick in the top 10 for the second straight year. “Last year, I was 90 percent sure of our pick before the draft,” he said. “This year, I’m 25 percent sure.”​
14. NEW ENGLAND: Peter Skoronski, tackle/guard, Northwestern.
Skoronski could be a plug-and-play guard wherever he goes. I considered him for the Eagles, replacing the departed Isaac Seumalo. Skoronski started 33 games at left tackle for Northwestern and was a unanimous first-team all-American. But his arm length is about three inches short for ideal NFL tackle size, so the Patriots could move him inside. If I’m New England, I’m thrilled Skoronski lasted this long, and I grab him to start a decade for the franchise somewhere on the line.​

Two things about Skoronski...

1. I heard The Athletic's Dane Brugler say that he knows the Jets have him on their board as an OT. My guess is that's probably his floor. He likely won't be available at #14.

2. Dante Scarnecchia once told the media that when the Patriots evaluate lineman, they value smarts, they value toughness, and they look for players who are "athletic enough". That pretty much describes Skoronski, except Skoronski has exceptional athleticism. He also went on to say that arm length in tackles is "way overrated".

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
For what it's worth, I'm thinking that the odds that there's going to be a premium player at a valuable position available at #14 seem pretty slim. The Patriots are probably going to be choosing from one of two groups of players:

1. Premium player at a less valuable position (Right Tackle, Slot Reciever, Tight End, etc.)
2. A slightly flawed talent at a premium position (Left Tackle, Cornerback, Boundary Receiver, etc.)

Not sure which way I'd lean at the moment.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
It's baffling to me that this is the busiest thread on Bruins HFboards during an historic season and playoff run.

Go B R U I N S

(I understand I am a hypocrite as I just bumped the thread by posting here)

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It's baffling to me that this is the busiest thread on Bruins HFboards during an historic season and playoff run.

Go B R U I N S

(I understand I am a hypocrite as I just bumped the thread by posting here)

You kidding me? Did you see the post game 2 threads?

Been relatively quiet in this one lately compared to when free agency started. Only picking back up because the draft is this week.

Reactions: GatorMike

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
You kidding me? Did you see the post game 2 threads?

Been relatively quiet in this one lately compared to when free agency started. Only picking back up because the draft is this week.
LOL. I came in hot this AM to talk game 2 and this was at the top of the boards.

I was mostly ribbing you football people. I understand this is an important draft...

As expected, my ribbing will probably keep this thread at the top of the boards for a little while longer...so, this is a self-inflicted injury.

Reactions: EverettMike

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
LOL. I came in hot this AM to talk game 2 and this was at the top of the boards.

I was mostly ribbing you football people. I understand this is an important draft...

As expected, my ribbing will probably keep this thread at the top of the boards for a little while longer...so, this is a self-inflicted injury.

Honestly, the OT threads on here are sometimes the best because the conversation is much more focused since less people/less casuals get involved.

Don't worry, though, everyone in here is still a "hockey person" first and foremost.

Except for @DKH. Hockey is his third sport. At best.

Ahahah. A true “where were you moment” lol

I HATE the Thursday night first round stuff. Draft used to be a fantastic all day Saturday event followed by a "sort of monitoring it on Sunday" background thing.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Honestly, the OT threads on here are sometimes the best because the conversation is much more focused since less people/less casuals get involved.

Don't worry, though, everyone in here is still a "hockey person" first and foremost.

Except for @DKH. Hockey is his third sport. At best.

I HATE the Thursday night first round stuff. Draft used to be a fantastic all day Saturday event followed by a "sort of monitoring it on Sunday" background thing.
Yeah Thursday night draft blows.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
That's... a lot to give up for a 39-year old quarterback.

Wonder if the Packers are eyeing Smith-Njigba, and were worried that the Patriots might take him at #14.

Reactions: EverettMike

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Wonder if the Packers are eyeing Smith-Njigba, and were worried that the Patriots might take him at #14.

Packers reportedly wanted to draft tight end with their first pick, that is, up until now. Packers also need a quarterback in case unproven Jordan Love fails. This paves the way for top OL to fall to Patriots at number 14 as Jets were after OL at 13.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
With last place being a certainty now at least we can talk about how exciting trading down is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad