Speculation: 2023-2024 Kraken Roster Discussion

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
That's right. We had their 2nd rounder this season and have their 3rd in the upcoming draft. Common sense would agree with what you are saying about Wennberg not returning a good prospect but a lot of GM's throw it out of the window during the TDL.

I am definitely glad we are sellers not buyers at this TDL. And while the draft is my favorite time of the season, I would rather get players/prospects who are ready to contribute soon than draft someone and wait atleast another 3+ years till they can help.

What kind of prospects do you think the buyers are willing to give up for someone like Wennberg?
I personally don't think it's more than B+ prospects and I'd probably rather have our scouting department doing there job and Francis making the pick.

Overall it's way more likely that the other team would give up picks instead of prospects(besides some throw in project) and then you can decide if you just want to draft those picks or use them in some kind of trade.

BTW: According to Friedman it's most likely the Rangers for Wennberg and the Avs are probably not that interested.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you're just trying to grow solely through prospects, more like 5-10 years.

Successful rebuilds usually involve getting high end players through several channels. Draft, trade, UFA.

Recently the clubs with the best under 24 talent have all continued to be terrible.*

So there isn't really a timetable we can use, Francis has to find great players in a variety of ways and it could go badly.

* - I just quickly went through the best top 10 picks of the last 7 years, and you have to go all the way back to at least Quinn Hughes in 2018 before you get to a year where most of those drafting clubs are now better than where the Kraken are currently. That or 2017, as Tkachuk and Dahlin haven't lifted those clubs out of the basement. Ottawa and Buffalo have gobbled up really good talents and haven't turned the corner yet. Same with Anaheim and Columbus. These are largely my favorite clubs, so seeing that problem unfold over the years, I'm hoping the Kraken don't follow that course.

Watching McCann lately, he's an elite goal scorer, and we have him on a steal of a deal for another 3 years. He wasn't just an expansion draft find, he was passed around among several teams for years, we can continue to find players like that. I think if we build a contender it would be largely through finding those late bloomers (kind of like how Florida does it), in addition to through the draft.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Given the chance, I would prefer that we go with prospects over picks. Example: If we retain 50% on Wennberg, add Toronto's 2nd and/or a B prospect to get a nice prospect back. We need a quicker turnaround time than what a newly drafted prospect would have.

Or just use our picks in the off-season to land someone in a trade.

They don't really have prospects in that range though. Wennberg + 2nd doesn't get us Gabriel Perreault, who they value very highly, or Cuylle, who is already on their roster. Sykora is not good enough.

Maybe Othmann. Othmann is kind of a Kraken type player - agitating sparkplug scorer who can move around the lineup.

If it's Wennberg for a pick and prospect, I could see it being for Adam Sykora + a 2nd or 3rd. I haven't seen Sykora since his draft year but I remember he had a high motor.

I don't think the Rangers would trade Othmann or any near ready prospect, they'd prefer to deal in picks. And that's fine for the Kraken I think, we've been really good drafting in the 2nd and 3rd round lately. I'd actually be really happy with a 2+3 return for Wennberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevinsane

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Kraken retool plan:

Get an extra 2nd and 3rd each year and try to draft as well as Dallas. Hintz and Robertson are 2nd or 3rd rounders, Wyatt Johnston has 5 points tonight and was a late 1st, Stankoven a 2nd rounder and has 3 points tonight. Edit: make it 4 points tonight for Stankoven.

Keep trying to find the next McCann or Verhaege or Forsling. There are going to be free players that become All Stars.

Don't try to bottom out in the standings. Lately tanking teams haven't been able to escape endless rebuilds.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
So the Avs(Mittelstadt for Byram) and Oilers(Henrique for stuff) got their centers and are out on Wennberg.

I hope that was just the hold up and not a sign that Francis is f*** around too long missing out on a good return.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What’s next? St. Louis Blues willing to get creative and retain salary on Pavel Buchnevich if there's any truth to this

1709764978081.png

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Those are very intersting news on Eberle.

If he wants that third year(he would be 36/37 by then) and the team doesn't want that then yeah, you need to trade him.

Maybe we actually do have a busy TDL as I also expect Francis being willing to move Schultz and Tatar.
If Eberle's on the block as well that might be a chance for a first round pick.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
With Wennberg scratched for the recent trade, it's interesting that Hak ran McCann as 2C between Schwartz and Bjorkstrand. I cant help but wonder if that's a bit of insight into what Hak and GMRF project next season's arrangement to look like running Beniers and McCann down the middle #1 and #2. Notable that McCann played quite well in both games, also.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
With Wennberg scratched for the recent trade, it's interesting that Hak ran McCann as 2C between Schwartz and Bjorkstrand. I cant help but wonder if that's a bit of insight into what Hak and GMRF project next season's arrangement to look like running Beniers and McCann down the middle #1 and #2. Notable that McCann played quite well in both games, also.

McCann isn't a full time center to me.

The team tried it in year one and it didn't work and even though it looked good those last two games, I wouldn't expect it to be a permanent thing.

I'm now curious if that talk from Seravalli about Eblere has any kind of truth to it and the Kraken actually move him.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

The team tried it in year one and it didn't work and even though it looked good those last two games, I wouldn't expect it to be a permanent thing.

I'm now curious if that talk from Seravalli about Eblere has any kind of truth to it and the Kraken actually move him.

who know this could be nothing more than wanting to be the first to get the scoop.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Those are very intersting news on Eberle.

If he wants that third year(he would be 36/37 by then) and the team doesn't want that then yeah, you need to trade him.

Maybe we actually do have a busy TDL as I also expect Francis being willing to move Schultz and Tatar.
If Eberle's on the block as well that might be a chance for a first round pick.
Yeah. I just don't know which other teams both have a 1st and are in the market for a winger. Eberle at 50% is definitely worth a 1st. However, if he does get moved, I won't be too surprised if its 2 x 2nds.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah. I just don't know which other teams both have a 1st and are in the market for a winger. Eberle at 50% is definitely worth a 1st. However, if he does get moved, I won't be too surprised if its 2 x 2nds.

That would be a bit dissaptointing but still more than losing him for nothing.

If those rumors are true and the extension hasn't happened because the Kraken don't want to give a third year to a 34 year old, then I doubt he'll be re-signed in the offseason,.

Though, you do have to take the source into consideration.

Seravalli leaked all those expansion draft picks but hasn't really been "in the loop" since then.
Last year he said the team was looking to move Geekie which didn't make much sense as we were on a playoff run and needed every center available.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004

That's fair, and you're right that it didnt work out so well in year 1. I dont exactly see this team as hypercompetitive in the tough market for 2Cs, though. I suspect they'll end up finding a wing that fits the bill, ie. Tatar, and attempt to lever McCann into that position more or less out of necessity. Whether Wright eventually gets to the point where he can assume that role and do well remains to be seen.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
That's fair, and you're right that it didnt work out so well in year 1. I dont exactly see this team as hypercompetitive in the tough market for 2Cs, though. I suspect they'll end up finding a wing that fits the bill, ie. Tatar, and attempt to lever McCann into that position more or less out of necessity. Whether Wright eventually gets to the point where he can assume that role and do well remains to be seen.

With Wennberg(and his cap hit) out of the picture(and the cap going up by at least $4M) you can always sign(even if the FA class isn't great) a better center than Bellmare to help out down the middle.

Still, I think you first have to try Wright down the middle and can always adjust later on.
Maybe even play Wright on the same line with McCann so he can take some faceoffs if needed or move to the middle for spurts.

BTW: Overall looking at this team, the free agent class and the fact that no real elite level talent seems to be available in a trade right now it seems like there's no real pathway to correct things/fix things in a quick way.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if the team took a natural step back next year trying to start filling roster spots with younger guys waiting for either an elite talent becoming available or drafting more guys within the top ten.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Still, I think you first have to try Wright down the middle and can always adjust later on.
Maybe even play Wright on the same line with McCann so he can take some faceoffs if needed or move to the middle for spurts.
Honestly, I'd be all about that. I feel like Wright gets more TOI, zone preferences, etc. on the 2nd line than the 3rd. Pair him with McCann and another winger and ease him in?

We've got months to jabber on about this stuff, but one thing I think the team absolutely needs is for Burakovsky to start playing to his contract. Him getting bottom 6 minutes on the 3rd line with Gourde and Tolvanen is just not good value for that cap hit.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to an Eberle trade.

Also, the Oilers have already traded their 1st round pick and only have their 2024 2nd round pick, 2025 1st round pick left.
Yeah. At this point, I expect us to be done with the TDL unless I hear atleast another source other than Seravalli reporting on Eberle.

Like you mentioned, Oilers don't have any picks of interest so if they were to trade for Eberle I would expect a real good prospect coming our way.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Honestly, I'd be all about that. I feel like Wright gets more TOI, zone preferences, etc. on the 2nd line than the 3rd. Pair him with McCann and another winger and ease him in?

We've got months to jabber on about this stuff, but one thing I think the team absolutely needs is for Burakovsky to start playing to his contract. Him getting bottom 6 minutes on the 3rd line with Gourde and Tolvanen is just not good value for that cap hit.
Agree about Burakovsky. I don't really know how to rate him though because he keeps getting injured. Same with Schwartz. Those two have shown they can be real good but they are injured way too often to be dependable.

Regarding Wright, I agree with @RainyCityHockey that you need to give him a shot in the middle. However, I want the team to be cautious with Wright. Put him in a position to succeed rather than force him to be in a position where he HAS TO produce.

I think 3C or 3W is a good place to start with him. Put him with good players like Tolvanen and Gourde/Kartye on that 3rd line and see how he does before moving him into the top-6. Yeah sure his minutes may be limited but he is getting better matchups on an above average 3rd line. Also, Tolvanen has average 15+ minutes TOI/G and I think that is not a bad TOI for Wright to begin with.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Woof…if Toronto offered GMRF a 3rd and a 5th for Schultz I would have bitten their hand off, I would have accepted so fast. I wish he was more active in these.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad