Speculation: 2023-2024 Kraken Roster Discussion

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Care to explain?
prospects that finish their CHL season for the year and assigned to the AHL temporary don't get a lot of ice time. Wright's been mostly the 4C for what time hes gotten since re-joining CV. He wasn't just going to get thrown right into being 2C after finishing the OHL just like that. Looking at our other prospects that was assigned there after their CHL season was over not much of them gotten ice time if any at all.

Even 2 of the CHL players that are pernamently joining CV full time isn't getting any.

Our finnish Dman for example had like only 2 games when he joined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
prospects that finish their CHL season for the year and assigned to the AHL temporary don't get a lot of ice time. Wright's been mostly the 4C for what time hes gotten since re-joining CV. He wasn't just going to get thrown right into being 2C after finishing the OHL just like that. Looking at our other prospects that was assigned there after their CHL season was over not much of them gotten ice time if any at all.

Even 2 of the CHL players that are pernamently joining CV full time isn't getting any.

Our finnish Dman for example had like only 2 games when he joined.
Right. And I agree. The Firebirds are here to win and set that standard for the kids. Froden, Poturalski, and Kartye have done a lot better this year and are more likely to help the team win than Wright currently will. The same is true for Goyette, Melanson, Firkus, etc.

I hope that Wright is AHL-eligible for next season. I have heard mixed opinions on that though many knowledgeable folks on the main boards think he will be eligible. The kid really needs consistent playing time at the AHL with the same teammates. As we could see between the Kraken 1st and 2nd seasons, chemistry counts for something.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am not sure how useful it really is sending Wright back to juniors. But that is where he needs to be from an NHL readiness standpoint.

He still has so much to learn. He's never dominated at juniors. You just have to make sure he is with a coach that will push him and not just praise him for what he is already good at.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
He was second in points/game during the regular season in the stretch he spent in the OHL. Really unfortunate that he got hurt and didn't even get the full half season after he was sent down.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Bura suffered a groin tear first game after the All Star break, had a setback in his recovery, and was shut down for surgery.
He’s expected to be ready for training camp.

I’m a goalie who in 1998 during a roller hockey game caught my right front wheel in the net while pushing right to left. Tore my groin off the pubic bone. I suspect that’s the injury Bura sustained. Surgery takes a looooong time to come back from, so no surprise Burakovsky has been out this long.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Bura suffered a groin tear first game after the All Star break, had a setback in his recovery, and was shut down for surgery.
He’s expected to be ready for training camp.

I’m a goalie who in 1998 during a roller hockey game caught my right front wheel in the net while pushing right to left. Tore my groin off the pubic bone. I suspect that’s the injury Bura sustained. Surgery takes a looooong time to come back from, so no surprise Burakovsky has been out this long.

This sounds worse than death.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I've got one question for you guys.

How much(AAV and term) are you willing to give Dunn?
To me, anything that goes beyond 7 or maybe 7.5 AAV is too much especially since Dunn certainly wants six years as well.

Reactions: brewski420

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

To me, anything that goes beyond 7 or maybe 7.5 AAV is too much especially since Dunn certainly wants six years as well.
I would definitely like to see an AAV of no more than $7M, preferably a little less like $6.5M (probably not realistic).

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

7.5 max, but I won’t like it. He’s good and probably worth close to 6.5 without the Lars pairing. The thing is, you put a less defensively minded d man with him and they are going to leak like a sieve. Again, he’s good. If you can get Dunn at the tax free state discount down from 7m, (so like 6.5-6.89) you lock him up long term. If not, you do 1 year and make him prove that it wasn’t a one off. He’s going to be a difficult one. He’s fought for every one of his contracts and I don’t think this will be an exception.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
7.5 max, but I won’t like it. He’s good and probably worth close to 6.5 without the Lars pairing. The thing is, you put a less defensively minded d man with him and they are going to leak like a sieve. Again, he’s good. If you can get Dunn at the tax free state discount down from 7m, (so like 6.5-6.89) you lock him up long term. If not, you do 1 year and make him prove that it wasn’t a one off. He’s going to be a difficult one. He’s fought for every one of his contracts and I don’t think this will be an exception.
I am thinking he gets something similar. 7.5 x 6 or 7 x 7 or something in between I guess for AAV. The biggest risk is obviously if this is his breakout season or just an outlier.

Not sure how realistic it is for this to be a 1-year deal. He is arbitration-eligible and things can get ugly there.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am thinking he gets something similar. 7.5 x 6 or 7 x 7 or something in between I guess for AAV. The biggest risk is obviously if this is his breakout season or just an outlier.

Not sure how realistic it is for this to be a 1-year deal. He is arbitration-eligible and things can get ugly there.

You don't let a RFA with 1 year to UFA basically walk his way to UFA and he signs elsewhere.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I understand. That is my point about going to arbitration and souring relations as not a realistic thing we do.

its extremely rare for a rfa arbitration case to actually go before an arbitrator for good reasons. It can be very ugly. And I read a story where a player actually cried after going before one.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Wonder if some sort of bridge deal could work for 2-3 years prior to cashing in with the big one.

Dunn will be 27 at the start of the season and just had a career year.

Now is the time for him to cash in and that's what makes it tough to see anything than a longterm deal.
Though, that should help reduce the AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad