Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Oh please let him leave thank you

I really don't like JBB's response here when talking about the state of the team. He mentioned we had the third best record in the league after the half way point of the season as proof that "we can have sustained success with this group", or something of that nature.

Nonsense. If he truly believes this then I hope he's replaced in the very near future. This group, as currently constructed, is winning zero Cups. If he doesn't realize this then it's time for him to go. I'm really hoping this was just a fluff GM answer just to get through the interview.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If Blashill leaves for one of the open head coaching positions (Seattle, New Jersey, San Jose, Toronto, Winnipeg, Los Angeles-still has an interim head coach), who would you want as a replacement?

Here are some available former head coaches:

Jay Woodcroft
Dean Evason
Bruce Boudreau
Craig Berube
Gerard Gallant
Dallas Eakins
Don Granato
Sheldon Keefe
Dave Hakstol
Todd McLellan

Coop was on a staff with McLellan, Gallant, and Dave Tippett for the 2016 World Cup
Gallant and Hakstol were both assistants for Coop at the 2017 World Championships
Halpern is getting attention as well.

Ryan Warsofsky had some 'future NHL head coach' buzz a few years ago. Buffalo might be a good spot for him, if he doesn't stay in SJ. Ruff is one of the older coaches in the league, so adding some younger assistants makes sense.

The only coaches on this list that I could really see as an NHL assistant next season would be Eakins, and maybe Granato.

Dan Girardi may become available.

edit: Scott Walker, Derek Laxdal

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I really don't like JBB's response here when talking about the state of the team. He mentioned we had the third best record in the league after the half way point of the season as proof that "we can have sustained success with this group", or something of that nature.

Nonsense. If he truly believes this then I hope he's replaced in the very near future. This group, as currently constructed, is winning zero Cups. If he doesn't realize this then it's time for him to go. I'm really hoping this was just a fluff GM answer just to get through the interview.
Yep this team is no where close to a cup right now they would need a top 4 defenseman and two top 6 forwards and we don’t have cap space for all of that

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yep this team is no where close to a cup right now they would need a top 4 defenseman and two top 6 forwards and we don’t have cap space for all of that
They need 1 top 4 dman and 1 top 6 forward maybe, or maybe 2 better depth forwards. The cap can be made to work for the top 4 dman and probably a solid middle 6 F, or a better top 6 F and more lower end 2nd pairing/higher end 3rd pairing dman. Of course, until.Stamkos is signed we won't know exactly, but regardless, if Sheary and Jeannot aren't moved (maybe Perbix as well), then yeah, they won't have the slave for more than Stamkos and one maybe 2.5-3 million F or D.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Blashill leaves for one of the open head coaching positions (Seattle, New Jersey, San Jose, Toronto, Winnipeg, Los Angeles-still has an interim head coach), who would you want as a replacement?

Here are some available former head coaches:

Jay Woodcroft
Dean Evason
Bruce Boudreau
Craig Berube
Gerard Gallant
Dallas Eakins
Don Granato
Sheldon Keefe
Dave Hakstol
Todd McLellan

Coop was on a staff with McLellan, Gallant, and Dave Tippett for the 2016 World Cup
Gallant and Hakstol were both assistants for Coop at the 2017 World Championships
The only ones I can see biting are maybe Evason and Woodcroft. The rest are taking head coaching jobs. Eakins probably goes back to the AHL. Gonna laugh my ass off if Blash ends up with the NJD

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Please take him!

Best offseason news so far. Almost makes up for jbb basically saying we are bringing back jeannot and sheary and expecting more from them.
Yep JBB if he wants to be a great GM if he makes mistakes that’s fine but you have to move on from your mistakes in Sheary and Jeannot the sooner the better for cap space and find replacements for them

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The only ones I can see biting are maybe Evason and Woodcroft. The rest are taking head coaching jobs. Eakins probably goes back to the AHL. Gonna laugh my ass off if Blash ends up with the NJD
Evason has apparently interviewed for the Jets job. Woodcroft didn't have goaltending (which still falls on him and Holland).

Eakins is coaching in Germany.

It's too early to tell who will land where. NCAA jobs may also become more valuable if they believe a NCAA/CHL agreement is coming.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Evason has apparently interviewed for the Jets job. Woodcroft didn't have goaltending (which still falls on him and Holland).

Eakins is coaching in Germany.

It's too early to tell who will land where. NCAA jobs may also become more valuable if they believe a NCAA/CHL agreement is coming.
Not surprised on Evason, he got some mileage out of a Wild team that really wasn't all that great. The Jets are kind of the same thing. As for Woody, he just lost the room and never was able to implement a zone defense that worked. Knoblauch took over and the switch flipped. Whatever way he was teaching worked. That or it was Paul Coffey. In any sense I'm really hoping Woody doesn't come here for that reason. I'm not sold on him. NCAA or some OHL hot shot may be our best route. You're not gonna convince T Mac, Bruce Boudreau or Craig Berube to be Jon Cooper's assistant.

Best case scenario is Sheldon Keefe. I don't think he's above an assistant job but it's not like he's not getting paid his extension

Last edited:
Reactions: Renopucker

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think it's silly that we are blaming so many problems on Blashill without really knowing the ins and outs of his role/influence.
Blashill is like the neutral zone guy. Good luck figuring out how to replace that.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Not surprised on Evason, he got some mileage out of a Wild team that really wasn't all that great. The Jets are kind of the same thing. As for Woody, he just lost the room and never was able to implement a zone defense that worked. Knoblauch took over and the switch flipped. Whatever way he was teaching worked. That or it was Paul Coffey. In any sense I'm really hoping Woody doesn't come here for that reason. I'm not sold on him. NCAA or some OHL hot shot may be our best route. You're not gonna convince T Mac, Bruce Boudreau or Craig Berube to be Jon Cooper's assistant.

Best case scenario is Sheldon Keefe. I don't think he's above an assistant job but it's not like he's not getting paid his extension
Marc Savard would be great, as an assistant or future head coach

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think it's silly that we are blaming so many problems on Blashill without really knowing the ins and outs of his role/influence.
I was under the impression he was responsible for our zone defense scheme. I actually don’t know just like a lemming I read it here and assumed accuracy

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was under the impression he was responsible for our zone defense scheme. I actually don’t know just like a lemming I read it here and assumed accuracy
I think we have a vague idea, but it's "vague" at best. I think he's just the latest scapegoat. We cant full on blame Cooper anymore because, you know, 2 cups, but we still want to blame the coaching, so let's blame the assistant(s).

Realistically, you look at our roster on paper and it did about what it should have. We made the playoffs and might have made the second round if we didnt run into a juggernaut Panthers team. But we aren't close to contending right now.

Reactions: Sky04 and Rschmitz

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think we have a vague idea, but it's "vague" at best. I think he's just the latest scapegoat. We cant full on blame Cooper anymore because, you know, 2 cups, but we still want to blame the coaching, so let's blame the assistant(s).

Realistically, you look at our roster on paper and it did about what it should have. We made the playoffs and might have made the second round if we didnt run into a juggernaut Panthers team. But we aren't close to contending right now.

JBB and Cooper don't get enough blame, it was clear entering the season which types of defenseman/transition game they had in mind, hence why players like Bogo were pushed out. We signed very mobile guys in the summer who are good skaters but extremely soft with the hope that we could just move the puck out the defensive end before we get hemmed in, that backfired bad. Which is why Lilleberg, a physical defenseman was such a breath of fresh air when he came up.

Also makes dumping Bogo and buying Dumba even dumber in hindsight.

Reactions: Hoek

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
was hoping he would come over to NA, think he is one of the more NHL ready guys in our system and would just need a season to adjust to the NA ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad