Prospect Info: 2023 1st Rd Selection - #28 OA (via BOS, WSH) - C, Easton Cowan [London Knights, OHL; [Height 5.11 -- Weight 185]

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I'll admit I was indifferent about him when he was picked and chuckled that Tre's first pick as GM was basically a Dubas type pick.

He has grossly exceeded my expectations and I hope he has a great career as a Maple Leaf. We need him down the centre badly.
That's likely because Tre had nothing to do with the pick. It was likely Clark's guy all along.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Would only be able to bring him up if his team is eliminated and London will likely be a strong team again next year.

Also its not always bad for a team to have a young guy finish their elc earlier imo. Sometimes that means you can get em on a better 1st contract because they havent had as much time to break out yet.

I'd argue it could be a benefit for him to play in junior instead of the NHL. Even Knies said this year he felt that the year was draining. Having a rookie play the most games they've ever played in addition to their production dropping takes a hit on a player's confidence.

If you send him down and he's lighting up the OHL for 2+PPG all season and then he's called up for the playoffs - he'll be fresher and have more confidence. He can ride his adrenaline into the playoffs like Montreal did with Caufield and we did with Knies last year with greater results.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For all the doom and gloom.. Knies, Robertson, Cowan is a hell of a next generation of forwards coming up behind Matthews and Nylander. Woll might be something too. Our window is still wide open with the right tweaks
For sure. Some great players to hopefully provide some depth at a discount.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'm a bit worried about his lack of speed for a smaller guy.

He was voted a top 3 skater in his conference by coaches

Screenshot (1429).png

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I'd argue it could be a benefit for him to play in junior instead of the NHL. Even Knies said this year he felt that the year was draining. Having a rookie play the most games they've ever played in addition to their production dropping takes a hit on a player's confidence.

If you send him down and he's lighting up the OHL for 2+PPG all season and then he's called up for the playoffs - he'll be fresher and have more confidence. He can ride his adrenaline into the playoffs like Montreal did with Caufield and we did with Knies last year with greater results.
London is still playing while we’re already dead. You can’t call up a CHL player until their season ends.

Reactions: Peasy

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Would only be able to bring him up if his team is eliminated and London will likely be a strong team again next year.

Also its not always bad for a team to have a young guy finish their elc earlier imo. Sometimes that means you can get em on a better 1st contract because they havent had as much time to break out yet.
Leafs made a big mistake with both nylander and marner by letting them stew until they were maturing into impact players .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Don't forget Knies played in a social league.

Cowan plays in a professional league.

Cowan played as much in one season as Knies did in 2.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
It's good to see a player get better as the series get more important.

In the first two series against Flint and Kitchener, he had 8pts in 8 games.

The final two series against Saginaw and Oshawa, he had 26pts in 10 games.
Yeah but what was his corsi expected goals stats?

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

Man, I’ve seen this type of comment a lot but his skating is what stood out to me the most watching him in the prospects tournament last summer and the pre-season with the leafs. Then watching him in the playoffs he would fly from one end of the ice to the other with ease.

What are people looking for? Him to skate like McDavid, Makar, and Mackinnon?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Man, I’ve seen this type of comment a lot but his skating is what stood out to me the most watching him in the prospects tournament last summer and the pre-season with the leafs. Then watching him in the playoffs he would fly from one end of the ice to the other with ease.

Perhaps just the speed of McDavid, the edgework of Makar, and the power of MacKinnon?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Let me throw a scouting report at you.

1715907343297.png

He can kill penalties with his speed. He can operate as the F1 on the forecheck and help establish zone time with his ability to secure possession and apply pressure. He can work the cycle, and his quickness opens up space for others on his line.

But, based on what I’ve seen this year, Cowan has drastically improved his odds of becoming a larger contributor than that. He has learned to harness his speed and improve his puck-handling ability in small areas; as the old adage goes, “the hands have caught up to his feet.” He’s become one of the OHL’s most dominant playmakers because he draws defensive attention and pressure with his attacking mentality, and he has the passing touch and precision to thread the needle to open teammates under pressure.

Not only that, but Cowan also has the awareness to know when to pass off, limiting turnovers when attacking north/south. He’ll chip and chase. He’ll alter his speed to keep defenses on their toes. He’s keen to work the cycle or win battles down low; he has confidence in his ability to keep plays alive with his feet and hands. As he continues to improve his strength and conditioning, Cowan will be a very difficult player to separate from the puck given his high work rate and quickness.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Perhaps just the speed of McDavid, the edgework of Makar, and the power of MacKinnon?
“It’s easy to let the numbers do the talking regarding Easton Cowan. Arguably one of the biggest surprises in the first round of the 2023 NHL Draft, Cowan’s D+1 year has seen one of the biggest offensive arcs this season, jumping from 53 points to 94 — and that’s in just 53 games this season. What the numbers won’t tell you is his value to this team in all other areas of the game. He already had a 200-foot game that rivals some of the best NHL prospects and he plays in all situations for the Knights — using his speed to exhibit dominance on the PK. He plays with a physical edge to his game reminiscent of a Darcy Tucker type and has the possession game of another former Knight — in Mitch Marner. Sure, there are areas of his game he can continue to improve on, including overall strength, but next season, if he remains in the OHL, I feel as though we’ll be having the debate of CHL/AHL and how there needs to be a change in eligibility. That said, it’s easy to see why he was considered an untouchable for the Maple Leafs at the trade deadline. And it’s tough to imagine that he won’t get an extended look with the Maple Leafs next season.”
– Andrew Forbes, The Hockey Writers

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

I watch him every game in London and his skating is fine

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Shane Wright got an exemption to play in the AHL this year and he achieved a hell of a lot less in the OHL. I’d imagine with the precedent being set, Cowan can do the same given he’s won all you can in the OHL.

Reactions: LDN and TMLAM34

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Nothing wrong with his skating from the time he was drafted and nothing wrong with it now. In fact it's one of his greatest assets. Trust me I know I've seen him live before.

He got paid.
That's what happens. It's very dangerous to give young players max contracts. Then they have nothing to work for.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He was voted a top 3 skater in his conference by coaches

View attachment 871778
Skating doesn't necessarily mean speed. Not dissimilar to Mitch, his edges and agility are very good. However, outright "speed," at the risk of the ire of some, seems just okay.

That's what stood out to me at the WJC. He had a bit of trouble beating and taking on the Dmen at that level.

Luckily, there's more to hockey than that.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
He's a Leaf this fall, just being around the Leafs facilities and staff will be better than the OHL for him.
It all depends on what kind of role he’s given Who the coach is will determine that. I don’t want Cowan playing 5 mins a night on the 4th line and scratched for 5 games and then in for another few mins and back to sitting

It really is a shame he can’t play in the AHL. I really don’t think another year in the OHL will benefit him

What’s better, playing in a league that he’s too good for and might get bored and develop bad habits bc it’s all to easy for him…OR….being in the NHL playing 4 mins a game and sitting out for long stretches at a time?

Ideally I’d love for him to get a legitimate chance to have a meaningful role with the Leafs next year but very skeptical he will get that chance. An old school coach like a Craig Berube isn’t going to play a rookie in the top 9 and on special teams.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Skating doesn't necessarily mean speed. Not dissimilar to Mitch, his edges and agility are very good. However, outright "speed," at the risk of the ire of some, seems just okay.

That's what stood out to me a the WJC. He had a bit of trouble beating and taking on the Dmen at that level.

Saying "lack of speed" is pretty much insinuating someone is slow.

I mean everyone see's the game differently and rates players skillsets differently, so lots of opinions is good.

Heres a tweet from Brock Otten who's one of the better OHL scouts on this site.

Screenshot (1432).png

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Shane Wright got an exemption to play in the AHL this year and he achieved a hell of a lot less in the OHL. I’d imagine with the precedent being set, Cowan can do the same given he’s won all you can in the OHL.
Isn't he 20 ?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

That's what stood out to me at the WJC. He had a bit of trouble beating and taking on the Dmen at that level.

Yes, I don't see yhe criteria, but I'd guess "Best Skater" <> "Fastest Skater".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad