Pre-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Miro and Yurov aren't lotto pick prospects, not even in a weak-ass year at the top like this. Miro was maybe top 5 before he got cancer, which has eaten development time and nobody knows quite where they are. Yurov is top 10. The difference between picks 6-10 and picks 20-25 isn't nothing, but it's not unfathomable either. The reward doesn't feel worth the risk - particularly before considering that this draft feels weak at the top but quite deep.
there are some that had miro up with wright before he got sick. some think it wasn't because of his sickness that he dropped. others like me think it was because of his illness and they didn't know he was sick. who's right :dunno: but i'm willing to take that chance.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ideally, honestly, we'd be moving some spare parts for extra picks. I wonder, for example, if we could get some 2nd/3rd rounders for, say, Zucker retained? In that case, where I'd put the Russians in my ideal draft would change.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
No russian with the first round pick please. Do whatever you want with the later ones, they're lotto tickets either way.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I watched some footage of Liam Ohgran and, holy f***, the goalies he was facing looked atrocious.

Anyway, a few mock drafts were posted today:

USA Today - Pens select Isaac Howard
Bleacher Report - Brad Lambert
Chicago Sun Times - Ryan Chesley
The Hockey Writers - Seamus Casey

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Lian Bicshel 6'5 225 D 18 from Switzerland. Anyone like this prospect?
Watched him once and thought he looked kinda raw but good. Gangly but mobile and willing to play physical. Like a lefty, not as good, Seider. Wasn’t really even looking for him but he stood out, plus I saw he had the full cage so figured he was under 18 and looked him up and saw he was draft-eligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Shift

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd draft Lambert if he was there and hope to God he reaches the potential that people thought he had preseason.

Reactions: Jacob

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Someone fell prey to the small sample size trap, and the problems with comparing percentages over same.

33% of 5'7" draft picks (-5) outperformed their draft position! But only 8% of the 6'5" draft picks (+5)did!
Of course, if you look at the raw numbers, that's 33% of... 3. Which means 1 draft pick at that size outperformed their position. Meanwhile, that 8% is of 48. Which translates to 4 players.

Seriously, when you're comparing 1 to 4, even as percentages, your data is not statistically significant.

The only range in which you're really comparing similar numbers is 5'11" through maybe 6'3", and the percentage differences look like they're all within a single standard deviation, which means you have absolutely no signal coming out of that analysis whatsoever.

Binning the columns to 1" of height each is really rather silly, and seems designed to inflate the percentages on the lower numbered columns. For instance, that third column at -4 has 18 total draft picks. The percentage on that is about 17%, which translates to: 3 players. If we total up the first three columns, you get 1+1+3 out of 3+3+18, or 5/24, which translates to ~21%. Which isn't nearly so impressive as having two columns at 33% each.

Even the tremendous 40+% of the -3 column starts falling apart when you look at the top of the column and see that's out of 52 total. You can add the bottom four columns (-6, -5, -4, -3) together (total is 76) and you end up with fewer than the +4 column on its own (103).

If that guy really has a Masters of Business Economics like his Twitter profile says, well, I'd say it terrifies me about what they teach in economics degrees these days, but really, it would explain a lot about.

The funny thing is, I don't even necessarily think his hypothesis is necessarily incorrect (that smaller prospects are undervalued), but his methodology is such utter garbage, it drives me nuts.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Miro's agent said he will be present at the draft. We should draft him, pull out a UNO reverse card, and tie him to a radiator until he signs a contract to stay in North America.

Reactions: The Old Master

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I believe Miro tried playing for a USHL team but there were visa/immigration issues.

Yeah, found it:

"But earlier in 2020 he signed an agreement to play for the United States Hockey League’s (USHL) Muskegon Lumberjacks, but was denied entry to the US. He was also denied entry to Canada at one point, and neither of these denials have been addressed or explained."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad