Post-Game Talk: 2-1 loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
this game felt awfully reminiscent of game 4 up 3-0 vs toronto, team didnt show up to close it out. Eventually closed it in the next game but just seems for w/e status quo to drag it out.
Hope this team isnt sick again with the ekblad flu again

I hope so. Just watched the highlights and it looked like we basically allowed Boston to play their game as opposed to ours, particularly in the first period. And all kudos to them, they did. We got better but were not able to solve the problem that is Swayman. Grrrr - hate Swayman. Bob was good though and I'm trying to tell myself that it's a good thing that he was tested more this game: he's had a light workload the last few games and could be getting rusty...

Anyway, it's a huge shame we weren't able to close out this game but then I initially predicted us winning in 6 so hopefully that still stands. We still have more talent and we definitely play better with more intensity - so let's hope we bring that on Friday. Perhaps the boo-ing by Boston will wake us up! Glad though to get through a game without scrums and fights: I was seriously worried about injuries.

Note: I knew we weren't getting that goal called back after all the noise the last few days. I'm hoping that that shuts up the commentators that both teams have now had critical goals stands. At least it feels that we're taking it with a lot more grace and not using that to make excuses.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
at least monty has 3 goals, but he just makes some weird decisions that over shadows that. Shoots at weird times and we then lose possession, and then just weird passing.
Or OEL. I can't stand watching another blocked Montour slapper.
OEL does well on the 2nd PP but wouldnt mind that, i think they must use the PP as rest for forsling/ekblad cause theyre not on either unit.
But it is odd cause Forsling has a nice shot plus seems to get the deflected shots more.
Ekblad has a nice wrister but really never gets the chance to use it.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
at least monty has 3 goals, but he just makes some weird decisions that over shadows that. Shoots at weird times and we then lose possession, and then just weird passing.

OEL does well on the 2nd PP but wouldnt mind that, i think they must use the PP as rest for forsling/ekblad cause theyre not on either unit.
But it is odd cause Forsling has a nice shot plus seems to get the deflected shots more.
OEL got his shot blocked on the DeBrusk breakaway... same bad decisions as Montour. Forsling should be the guy, Ek is too slow

Reactions: Chaos2k7

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah I love Monty's passion and skating, but his decision making with the puck is really weird sometimes. Tries to force things that aren't there, almost feels like he doesn't want to hold onto the puck to open up some options, feels rushed. The guy has a monster slapshot, but actually gets to the net like 3% of the time, the other 97% ends up injuring someone or goes the other way.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The optimistic take is that it’s better for us to keep playing because we don’t want rust before the next series.

The pessimistic take is that not closing a series gives new belief and motivation to your opponent and sometimes results in a series upset.

I’m optimistic but not because we’re gonna be so good but because Bruins will find a way to lose, for example by adding Marchand who then supplies a letdown effect rather than an inspiration.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
We were at the game. Team looked completely out of sync. 2nd line, especially Verhaeghe, looked lost. Ekblad looks worse live than on TV, slow and lumbering

It almost looked like they didn't give a sh*t about this game. No fight in them and Boston dominated them physically. It seemed all they wanted to do was high flip the puck out of their zone and not carry it out. Played scared.

Frustrating to watch.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Good moment to change something after a loss. Fourth line needs a jump, they don't have any excuses not going 100 mph every game. Okposo while he's been good didn't look very effective. I didn't think Lorenz was anything special either. I could see both Lomberg and Cousins in the next game.

Not worried although the way they came out yesterday, the first half of the game, seems totally inexcusable in the playoffs. But if they lay an egg again tomorrow then by all means, ring all the alarm bells.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
What a shame, the Panthers beat themselves, at any point the Bruins were not playing better than us, we were just playing like the underdogs, stressed, tired, slow, low IQ passes, from our top guys all the way down to the 4th line. The Bruins were not the ones who beat us, it was us. A grand missed opportunity to end ot here.

I believe, we still win this and probably at Boston, we play better away. But sometimes a moral victory can elevate teams to accomplish the unexpected, so the Panthers, have to go to Boston to win it as if they were the ones pending elimination.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
This play reminds me of that March downturn when they played like lazy bums, but I think that was because a bunch of guys were sick. Not making an excuse. We'll never know, but makes me wonder, especially with Maurice's post-game comment “I wasn’t mad, I understood what they were going through."

Time to put the Lomberghini in for some energy.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Like others said, this one felt similar to the Game 4 loss against Tampa.

Truthfully though, I’m not terribly concerned. I think they all know that it wasn’t their best performance. And Boston isn’t gonna just lay down.

Our second line will bounce back. That was possibly the worst game I’ve seen Verhaeghe play. And Tkachuk wasn’t much better. That’s uncharacteristic of them.

My main concern is the special teams. Powerplay in particular. We still could’ve won yesterday if our powerplay wasn’t god awful. They need to figure that out.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Last year Tkachuk was kinda absent the 2nd round too, but was prominent in Round 1 and 3

Kind of the same thing happening this go round. He hasnt been that good this series.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Good moment to change something after a loss. Fourth line needs a jump, they don't have any excuses not going 100 mph every game. Okposo while he's been good didn't look very effective. I didn't think Lorenz was anything special either. I could see both Lomberg and Cousins in the next game.

Not worried although the way they came out yesterday, the first half of the game, seems totally inexcusable in the playoffs. But if they lay an egg again tomorrow then by all means, ring all the alarm bells.
Second line needs some Cousins. First line needs way less Tarasenko.

Reactions: 5 Hole

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Last year Tkachuk was kinda absent the 2nd round too, but was prominent in Round 1 and 3

Kind of the same thing happening this go round. He hasnt been that good this series.
funny his one goal this series is the game 1 blowout

Kinda surprised how suppressed reino has been these playoffs

5 goals and 4 assists is pretty good not really complaining, but seems like everyones keying in on him and compared to his crazy regular season hes been "quiet". At least for the most part everyone else has been stepping up.
Second line needs some Cousins. First line needs way less Tarasenko.
i think its cause they insist on playing him on the left side, hes invisible. He only shines on the right wing.
1st should be swaggy-barkov-tank and see how that plays out.
Guy has the talent but i feel like were misusing him

Reactions: pantherbot

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
It wasn’t really an effort thing as much as it’s ok if you think that’s what it looked like. Paul just got out coached he had to have known the Bruins were going to shut off any chance we had at the net. And the Bruins built an offensive presence closer to the net guala more for more attempts at the net.

Our lack of being able to adjust to this essentially shut down our shooters like Tarasenko, Rodriguez etc etc.
Paul had to know if this started to happen which it would as a series moves on you have to be able to have a plan B. Paul had no plan B and in a few days better come up with one.

Idiot Stick

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
It wasn’t really an effort thing as much as it’s ok if you think that’s what it looked like. Paul just got out coached he had to have known the Bruins were going to shut off any chance we had at the net. And the Bruins built an offensive presence closer to the net guala more for more attempts at the net.

Our lack of being able to adjust to this essentially shut down our shooters like Tarasenko, Rodriguez etc etc.
Paul had to know if this started to happen which it would as a series moves on you have to be able to have a plan B. Paul had no plan B and in a few days better come up with one.
Erod has been a pleasant surprise but i wouldnt say those are our shooters, those two can shut themselves down well enough

It was 100% an effort thing but i think there can be some tweaks to the lines/style too.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
Erod has been a pleasant surprise but i wouldnt say those are our shooters, those two can shut themselves down well enough

It was 100% an effort thing but i think there can be some tweaks to the lines/style too.
You can think that but it was stymied effort frustrated effort but that’s what happens if you get bottled up it looks like a effort thing.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
If I try to climb a mountain full of marbles I won’t get very far but if I can move those marbles I will be king of the mountain. We never had a plan that said what if the Bruins essentially use our game plan how should we react to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad