Prospect Info: 17th Overall - Lukas Reichel

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He's been up and down plenty already, no?

Unless it was his idea to massively overhaul his game, I don't like it.
He's barely played a full season in the NHL. The other option you are suggesting is laughable, to be frank. He either finds his game again in the minors, or he finds it on a different team. He isn't finding his game sitting in the press box and playing the odd game here or there.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
i dont think bedard is a good fit at Center with Reichel. they get the top d and then you have 2 guys that struggle on the boards. if it was me if you wanted to get him going it would have been Dickinson. assuming AA was not a option which he was not.
True, he doesn't win the board battles, but that's where Foligno helps. A lot of finesse players don't win board battles.....I would like to see if he thinks the game like Bedard though. I would like to see him with AA and Hall next year.....that's not a bad line up with speed and skill.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Question for anybody,

Is there a comp that worked into a useful offensive top 9 type on this path. I'm not the ones that couldn't stick because of a deep roster(Nyquist), cap implications (many fringe firsts on elcs), or roster FA clock details (potential waiver exemptions losses like Crow)? Maybe Turris or El Nino are examples. Can't really think of good comps.

The only other ones I can think of took 4 or more years and that means he's probably a logjam contributor rather than potential asset?
If question is "have any players Reichel's age struggled to crack a roster and gone onto good things" then the answer is, well yes, of course.

Now if you reduce it even further to 1st round pick, high AHL production in prior seasons, on a tank team where there was no shortage of roster spots (but we should also consider the other end to that in that there are also aren't a lot in terms of supportive vets to lift you up and make you look better as a young player) and lots of opportunity, it starts to become a lot more nuanced and specific. No two individuals are ever alike.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He's barely played a full season in the NHL. The other option you are suggesting is laughable, to be frank. He either finds his game again in the minors, or he finds it on a different team. He isn't finding his game sitting in the press box and playing the odd game here or there.
Why not let him finish a full NHL season training and traveling with the team and learning off of the ice? Ride it out and be patient and focus on the summer. Hawks management misread him and his ability so I'm skeptical to trust them with a rehab plan in the AHL.

He's just a kid that has been gut punched by a combination of factors and himself. Now he has to go to Rockford with his tail between his legs. How long does that take to recover from? He's not finding anything anytime soon and Rockford kind of sucks too right now. They're not getting past Milwaukee.

Under normal circumstances they can handle this differently, but KD made his bed going all in on so many picks. I think let him do all the big team stuff and stick to the patient thing in this case.
If question is "have any players Reichel's age struggled to crack a roster and gone onto good things" then the answer is, well yes, of course.

Now if you reduce it even further to 1st round pick, high AHL production in prior seasons, on a tank team where there was no shortage of roster spots (but we should also consider the other end to that in that there are also aren't a lot in terms of supportive vets to lift you up and make you look better as a young player) and lots of opportunity, it starts to become a lot more nuanced and specific. No two individuals are ever alike.
I agree with this and I was looking past the circumstances today.

The roster situation isn't going to change a bunch except on paper going into next year, assuming KD doesn't add alot of big team help or change out the coaches. Rockford seems like a dead end in this individual case.

They aren't going to be able to slow roast a bunch of forwards the next few years without compounding mistakes.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Hypothetically if Reichel stays in the AHL for the remainder of the season, what type of deal does he get offered in the off season? I don't think he had earned a 1 way contract. Not after the season he has had. I'd offer him a 1 year, 2 way contract with the hope that he regains his form next year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hypothetically if Reichel stays in the AHL for the remainder of the season, what type of deal does he get offered in the off season? I don't think he had earned a 1 way contract. Not after the season he has had. I'd offer him a 1 year, 2 way contract with the hope that he regains his form next year.
1 year, $0.9 million, one way.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Why not let him finish a full NHL season training and traveling with the team and learning off of the ice? Ride it out and be patient and focus on the summer. Hawks management misread him and his ability so I'm skeptical to trust them with a rehab plan in the AHL.

He's just a kid that has been gut punched by a combination of factors and himself. Now he has to go to Rockford with his tail between his legs. How long does that take to recover from? He's not finding anything anytime soon and Rockford kind of sucks too right now. They're not getting past Milwaukee.

Under normal circumstances they can handle this differently, but KD made his bed going all in on so many picks. I think let him do all the big team stuff and stick to the patient thing in this case.

I agree with this and I was looking past the circumstances today.

The roster situation isn't going to change a bunch except on paper going into next year, assuming KD doesn't add alot of big team help or change out the coaches. Rockford seems like a dead end in this individual case.

They aren't going to be able to slow roast a bunch of forwards the next few years without compounding mistakes.

Hockey is a sport where you can't just have long breaks and expect to come out and just play like a beast. It takes weeks, and sometimes months to get back into the swing of things, get your legs back, get your timing back, get your hands back, etc. You can't have long breaks in between. There is literally no replacement for being on the ice with this sport. To think that a young player would develop better by sitting in the press box for half a season, watching, and jumping in once every handful of games... is asinine, to say the least.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Hockey is a sport where you can't just have long breaks and expect to come out and just play like a beast. It takes weeks, and sometimes months to get back into the swing of things, get your legs back, get your timing back, get your hands back, etc. You can't have long breaks in between. There is literally no replacement for being on the ice with this sport. To think that a young player would develop better by sitting in the press box for half a season, watching, and jumping in once every handful of games... is asinine, to say the least.
I'm not disagreeing with anything about the sport. It's only an asinine suggestion if we think he's going to be rehabilitated physically and mentally in the remaining 2 dozen games. He's had 6 1/2 months to get it together for a single week and it hasn't happened, he's gone for the year.

Besides the mental component slowing him down, I have no idea how hard he pushed going back to last summer to get ready for the year, he may have cooked himself, nobody falls off that hard without something having gone wrong.

I think his head is more important than his legs at this point in the season, pending an extension, and at this point in a rebuild. I think it's best he start next year in Rockford if management thinks that's the answer rather than send him there now.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm not disagreeing with anything about the sport. It's only an asinine suggestion if we think he's going to be rehabilitated physically and mentally in the remaining 2 dozen games. He's had 6 1/2 months to get it together for a single week and it hasn't happened, he's gone for the year.

Besides the mental component slowing him down, I have no idea how hard he pushed going back to last summer to get ready for the year, he may have cooked himself, nobody falls off that hard without something having gone wrong.

I think his head is more important than his legs at this point in the season, pending an extension, and at this point in a rebuild. I think it's best he start next year in Rockford if management thinks that's the answer rather than send him there now.
There is literally nothing that could hurt his development by finishing the season in Rockford, playing all the games, and getting into some playoff hockey, instead of playing once every few games, and constantly being healthy scratched up with the Hawks. How would the latter help his development?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
There is literally nothing that could hurt his development by finishing the season in Rockford, playing all the games, and getting into some playoff hockey, instead of playing once every few games, and constantly being healthy scratched up with the Hawks. How would the latter help his development?
It may help because he's not being sent packing with the tail between the legs and self doubt hanging over his head for the rest of the year. He can start planning on how he's going to rehab mentally or physically change his game rather than play a game of square-peg-round-hole on the ice.

He's going in there as a failed prospect after all the hype. It's not about the physical part in my opinion. There's nothing in Rockford he hasn't seen already.

If he has to change his game, start fresh in April/May with that rather than force it now. If he's not a top 6 it doesn't matter what he is in Rockford or the big team as well.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
It may help because he's not being sent packing with the tail between the legs and self doubt hanging over his head for the rest of the year. He can start planning on how he's going to rehab mentally or physically change his game rather than play a game of square-peg-round-hole on the ice.

He's going in there as a failed prospect after all the hype. It's not about the physical part in my opinion. There's nothing in Rockford he hasn't seen already.

If he has to change his game, start fresh in April/May with that rather than force it now. If he's not a top 6 it doesn't matter what he is in Rockford or the big team as well.

He’s a big boy now. If he can’t handle the adversity on a bottom dwelling team, he certainly wouldn’t be able to handle the pressure of a cup contender.

He’s his own worst enemy right now, and needs to regain his confidence and being on a team playing meaningful hockey would be the best for him.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

:facepalm:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He’s a big boy now. If he can’t handle the adversity on a bottom dwelling team, he certainly wouldn’t be able to handle the pressure of a cup contender.

He’s his own worst enemy right now, and needs to regain his confidence and being on a team playing meaningful hockey would be the best for him.
What's the point of regaining confidence in the AHL? He's been down a few times already, nothing he does there the next few weeks is going to translate up a level. If he needs a lobotomy, do that off of the ice.

It's top 6 or bust on the big team, KD is going to have to throttle some other kids' toi to rehab Reichel because of this draft pick or nothing rebuild.

If if this was 3 years ago or even 2, different story.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
right back at yeah.

I don't understand why people can't discuss things outside of the straight lines on a spreadsheet plan. Kid's done this year. Treat it like an injury or let him watch and rehab himself. Too many new parts coming in really fast to play games with him.

Why have that mess that could spill over anywhere else until the summer plays out?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I think a hockey player would rather play and try and rediscover his game in a lesser league than sit and watch from the press box every night. He isn't going to be happier watching in the NHL than playing with old friends in Rockford.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If he has a choice between sitting in the press box, playing every few games, and skating with guys that SHOULD be in Rockford....or playing every day in Rockford, it's a pretty damn easy decision. If I was Reichel, I'd be relieved to be sent down. At least in the AHL, he will be playing with guys that actually belong in that league. The Blackhawks' fourth line isn't anything more than a 4th line in the AHL. Absolute trash tier players. I can't wait until guys like Entwistle and Reese Johnson are out of this organization.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
What's the point of regaining confidence in the AHL? He's been down a few times already, nothing he does there the next few weeks is going to translate up a level. If he needs a lobotomy, do that off of the ice.

It's top 6 or bust on the big team, KD is going to have to throttle some other kids' toi to rehab Reichel because of this draft pick or nothing rebuild.

If if this was 3 years ago or even 2, different story.
He looked like a completely different player at the end of last year after going a ppg in the AHL. If he played this terribly after starting the season playing wing, I’d be much less tolerant.

This is an awful team, and will be for a couple years. There’s no need to rush some 21 year old kid.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He has looked much better the last two games in Rockford. Only one secondary assist to show for it, but much more confidence and showing off his speed and skill. Glad they play again tonight, hopeful he can get at least a point. The points will come down there unless he starts fretting that they aren’t coming quick enough and overthinking.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I was a sophomore on my varsity baseball team, would've much rather played more games in JV and killed it than be sat half of the games or batting 8th/9th when I did play.

Illinois high school baseball isn't the same thing as pro-hockey but makes logical sense that if a kid is struggling up here he should be sent back down to get better and find his game. He's probably not going to become a top 6 NHLer at this rate staying up with sporadic minutes and worrying about getting benched/scratched all the time. He's had his chance to prove himself up here and it seems like he needs to be sent down to refine his game and get some confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad