Prospect Info: 156th overall: Vancouver selects Arturs Silovs (Goalie, Latvia ---> Barrie Colts)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It looks like Barrie hasn't had a goalie of note since Mackenzie Blackwood. Their director of goaltending is HHOFer Billy Smith.
Wow! That 'Battlin' Billy Smith' tutoring the goaltenders in Barrie. Well, at least Silovs will learn how to take a two-hander to any forwards lurking around the crease!

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I look forward to your reports!
My reports won't be much better than reading the stat lines. I really have no idea how to evaluation a goalie other than "did he stop the puck???". I only went to one game last year. Was impressed with the playmaking and vision of Ryan Suzuki. Was not really impressed with Thomas Harley (Mississauga Steelheads - 18th overall to Dallas) but he may have just had a poor game that night.

Reactions: xtra

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My reports won't be much better than reading the stat lines. I really have no idea how to evaluation a goalie other than "did he stop the puck???". I only went to one game last year. Was impressed with the playmaking and vision of Ryan Suzuki. Was not really impressed with Thomas Harley (Mississauga Steelheads - 18th overall to Dallas) but he may have just had a poor game that night.

Well, no need to claim expertise in order to let us know your impressions. What sort of chances did he face? Did he play the puck a lot? Etc. I'd be grateful and I bet lots of others would be as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to admit that I'm also surprised Silovs was the first guy from the 2019 draft to be signed by the Canucks....didn't really see that coming. But maybe the Canucks aren't 100 percent sold on their prospect goalies in the pipeline--Keilly, Thiessen and even DiPietro. Time will tell I guess.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Have to admit that I'm also surprised Silovs was the first guy from the 2019 draft to be signed by the Canucks....didn't really see that coming. But maybe the Canucks aren't 100 percent sold on their prospect goalies in the pipeline--Keilly, Thiessen and even DiPietro. Time will tell I guess.

I don't think the bolded has anything to do with it. Dipietro begins his pro career this season. Kielly is turning 23 and has a one year contract. Thiessen is a real long shot at this point and likely years away from turning pro and may not be signed. Silovs is 18 and will likely play at least two years in the OHL or one year in the OHL and Europe the next season. I think it's a matter of adding another goalie prospect to the system.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think the bolded has anything to do with it. Dipietro begins his pro career this season. Kielly is turning 23 and has a one year contract. Thiessen is a real long shot at this point and likely years away from turning pro and may not be signed. Silovs is 18 and will likely play at least two years in the OHL or one year in the OHL and Europe the next season. I think it's a matter of adding another goalie prospect to the system.
The issue is, they could have accomplished all of the things you've listed above without actually 'signing' Silovs. Even if he comes to play in the OHL for two years, because he was drafted out of Europe, the Canucks would retain his rights indefinitely no matter where he plays. So I agree with other posters. The decision to sign him in his draft year is still a little surprising.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The issue is, they could have accomplished all of the things you've listed above without actually 'signing' Silovs. Even if he comes to play in the OHL for two years, because he was drafted out of Europe, the Canucks would retain his rights indefinitely no matter where he plays. So I agree with other posters. The decision to sign him in his draft year is still a little surprising.

Sure what you say is true but signing him also gives him confidence and shows that the team is serious in him as a prospect.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I was ahead of you there. I did say I was surprised at the timing of the signing and that they could of waited and see how Silovs did another year. So we are definitely on the same page here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Canucks seem to pick a goalie in every draft....you'd have to think one of DiPietro, Keilly, Thiessen, Silovs or even Demko will end up being an impact goalie at the NHL-level.

One thing for sure---Canucks have one of the best prospect goalie depth charts in the entire league.

I don't know that i'd say our goaltending pipeline is really anything to especially write home about. Demko is set to graduate the system this year, and DiPietro is the only other real "bluechip" goaltending prospect (kind of an oxymoron, but nonetheless). After that...most teams have Silovs and Thiessens and/or flyers out on college guys. The pipeline just looks a lot better than it did a couple years ago when we essentially had Demko...and literally nothing else of the prospect variety.

Managing the goaltending prospect pipeline is always a fine line to walk. You always want to have guys going through because you never know how they're going to turn out, and their development curve means you need to be drafting and developing them many years before you need a guy at the NHL level. So you keep pumping picks into the system, because you don't really want big gaps and know a lot of them simply won't make it.

But on the flip side...it's a position where you have very limited viable "development slots". The nature of the position means the guy is either playing...or not. It's not like a forward that you can let work their way up from any of the 12 spots on the depth chart where at least they're getting into every game. So you have to to be careful not to overcrowd the situation too. You want to keep the prospects spaced well enough that the "good ones" will have a nice AHL landing spot where they can get some meaningful playing time at that level...when they get there. It's tricky to project, but the more steady you can keep the flow of prospects through the system, the better.

College/Euro guys can really complicate the timeline because when you draft them, you never quite know how long they'll stay...but NCAA/Euro FA signings can also be a useful backfill if you do end up with gap in your pipeline due to drafted guys failing.

Yeah, signing bonuses are still paid even if the contract slides.

The best reasoning for the contract that I've seen is to encourage him to play for Barrie and discourage him from signing a KHL contract with Riga.

Yeah. I'd figure this is probably the case. The organization obviously wants him over here in North America where they can work with him and keep tabs on him better. They're not flying goaltending coaches out to Latvia regularly. Barrie is a little more accessible for them. :laugh: Silovs probably wanted that money to help get everything settled and comfortable with the situation moving across the pond, and to entice him away from just signing a deal over in the KHL or Europe somewhere. Doesn't hurt to have a little bit of cash kicking around to fly his family out now and then or whatever, maybe help stave off a bit of that "homesickness" that sent Tryamkin back to Russia for example.

Otherwise, the timing is pretty peculiar. So that's gotta be it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't know that i'd say our goaltending pipeline is really anything to especially write home about. Demko is set to graduate the system this year, and DiPietro is the only other real "bluechip" goaltending prospect (kind of an oxymoron, but nonetheless). After that...most teams have Silovs and Thiessens and/or flyers out on college guys. The pipeline just looks a lot better than it did a couple years ago when we essentially had Demko...and literally nothing else of the prospect variety.

Managing the goaltending prospect pipeline is always a fine line to walk. You always want to have guys going through because you never know how they're going to turn out, and their development curve means you need to be drafting and developing them many years before you need a guy at the NHL level. So you keep pumping picks into the system, because you don't really want big gaps and know a lot of them simply won't make it.

But on the flip side...it's a position where you have very limited viable "development slots". The nature of the position means the guy is either playing...or not. It's not like a forward that you can let work their way up from any of the 12 spots on the depth chart where at least they're getting into every game. So you have to to be careful not to overcrowd the situation too. You want to keep the prospects spaced well enough that the "good ones" will have a nice AHL landing spot where they can get some meaningful playing time at that level...when they get there. It's tricky to project, but the more steady you can keep the flow of prospects through the system, the better.

College/Euro guys can really complicate the timeline because when you draft them, you never quite know how long they'll stay...but NCAA/Euro FA signings can also be a useful backfill if you do end up with gap in your pipeline due to drafted guys failing.

Good points. I suppose that it also depends on your definition of "pipeline." But relatively speaking the Canucks are comparatively well off in the goaltending department.

Markstrom looks to be a legitimate #1 goalie and potential top 15 or even top 10 goalie while Demko represents a potential #1 goalie in the NHL who is ready to play in the NHL now. Dipietro is the "blue chip" prospect in goal. He's not a late 1st or early 2nd round pick but he is an early 3rd. Kielly should at least be a capable ECHL goaltender with potential.

Benning has used high picks on goalies while having an eye on the future. In 2018 he wasn't picking a goalie with the 3rd round pick because of Demko and Dipietro. With Silovs signed, you wonder if the Canucks would pick a goalie with a highish pick in the next draft. My guess is no.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Gives me a reason to go watch a game when colts are in town!
Word of warning: the last couple times I’ve gone to a 67s game to see a Canucks prospect (Gadjovich and DiPietro, respectively) they haven’t played. :laugh:

I was kind of hoping the rumors were true of Silovs going to the Q, because Olympique games are really fun too, and I’ve never had a prospect to look for at one (well, other than, like, Alexis Lafrenière).

Reactions: lindgren

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Well, Barrie has just lost it's head coach for the whole season on the eve of training camp. I hope Silovs isn't entering a bad situation there, this certainly isn't ideal.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! Concerning news about Hawerchuck. I hope nothing serious, but leaving a team during training camp and missing the entire season is a big concern.

I have no idea where Barrie projects as a team in the OHL season.But if Silovs is in a situation where he faces a ton of shots, this would be nothing new for him. He's used to being blitzed with 40-50 shots a night playing for Latvia. And facing lots of shots and scoring chances in the OHL might actually help his development.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just a gut feeling, but there's something about Silovs that gives me optimism that he might end up being the Canucks top goaltending prospect now that Demko has graduated. ...better than DiPietro even.

You can't teach size and mobility, and there might be more to work with there for Ian Clark. One year in the OHL and then on to Utica possibly.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Just a gut feeling, but there's something about Silovs that gives me optimism that he might end up being the Canucks top goaltending prospect now that Demko has graduated. ...better than DiPietro even.

You can't teach size and mobility, and there might be more to work with there for Ian Clark. One year in the OHL and then on to Utica possibly.

I too am cautiously optimistic. Unlike most people here I don't think Marky is any sort of top 15 goalie nor do I think Demko will be any kind of top flight goalie. DiPietro looks promising but is pretty small. The others I don't know much about I'll admit. Since I have a soft spot for Latvian goalies I would be delighted if this guy turns out to be the real deal just in time for Elias, Brock et al to hit their peak. Irbe v 2.0!!!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Developing goalies seem to have generally always been a strength for the club in recent history. He has that going for him.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

No Utica for 2 more years. Let's get that out of the thought waves right now.

He's now bound by the NHL/Canadian Jrs pact. He is only 18. Next year he will be 19 and still can't play in the AHL. It will be '21-22 until he is 20 and AHL eligible. By then DiPietro will be entering his 3rd season as a pro and we will have a pretty good idea if he is progressing well or not. Then they will decide on the next step for what will still be a kid.

Arturs has 2 years to ply his trade and develop into a real prospect. If he was signed this season he would have been able to play in the ECHL because the Europeans and Americans are not bound by that rule unless they play in the Canadian Jrs. The Nylanders and others have played in the AHL as 18 -yr-olds, but I don't think I would have rushed Arturs that way.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
No Utica for 2 more years. Let's get that out of the thought waves right now.

He's now bound by the NHL/Canadian Jrs pact. He is only 18. Next year he will be 19 and still can't play in the AHL. It will be '21-22 until he is 20 and AHL eligible. By then DiPietro will be entering his 3rd season as a pro and we will have a pretty good idea if he is progressing well or not. Then they will decide on the next step for what will still be a kid.

Arturs has 2 years to ply his trade and develop into a real prospect. If he was signed this season he would have been able to play in the ECHL because the Europeans and Americans are not bound by that rule unless they play in the Canadian Jrs. The Nylanders and others have played in the AHL as 18 -yr-olds, but I don't think I would have rushed Arturs that way.

That's untrue. He was drafted out of Europe, so Sikovs is not bound to the CHL-AHL-NHL deal. He can go at the end of this year if the Canucks so choose.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Its a good start for him too since we drafted him. Will be watching him VERY closely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad