Prospect Info: #110 LD Daniil Orlov, Sakhalinskiye MHL

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'd actually describe Orlov as an elite skater. Unlike last year's LD pick in Topias Vilen (who is a solid defender in his own right), Orlov actually has a chance to shoot up through the Devils LD prospect rankings. As it stands, I'd probably rank our (absolutely stacked!) LD prospects like so:

1 Luke Hughes
2 Shakir Mukhamadullin
3 Nikita Okhotyuk
4 Kevin Bahl
5 Daniil Misyul
6 Michael Vukojevic
7 Daniil Orlov
8 Ethan Edwards
9 Yegor Zaitsev
10 Topias Vilen

It gets ridiculous when we consider Orlov or Edwards would probably be #3 or even #2 for many NHL teams. But again, Orlov's defensive acumen and skating gives him the greatest ability to move up among any player from #4 down on this list.

lol see ya never kid

This is about the correct timeline for Orlov. Clearly, the Devils are not in the market for a LD in the next three seasons, anyway. It's their deepest organizational position, and again we're talking about a 4th round pick.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
1657409799397.png

First thing first, by far the most offensive defensmen on a very low scoring team. Second, while I hate +- he is the only positive player out of the regulars so the team sucked and he excelled. Third, Spartak just gave him a 4 year two way contract that guarantees him to play in a mens league, they obviously like him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
View attachment 566783
First thing first, by far the most offensive defensmen on a very low scoring team. Second, while I hate +- he is the only positive player out of the regulars so the team sucked and he excelled. Third, Spartak just gave him a 4 year two way contract that guarantees him to play in a mens league, they obviously like him.
Agreed on all counts.

Obviously, based on drafting about 100 RD, the Devils were fully aware of positional need in the organization in this draft. In order for them to take another LD, I'm guessing the Devils had him high atop their draft board when the Orlov pick was made.

Judging on how good the Devils MHL and Russian scouting has been -- this could turn into an outstanding steal in the 4th round.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Agreed on all counts.

Obviously, based on drafting about 100 RD, the Devils were fully aware of positional need in the organization in this draft. In order for them to take another LD, I'm guessing the Devils had him high atop their draft board when the Orlov pick was made.

Judging on how good the Devils MHL and Russian scouting has been -- this could turn into an outstanding steal in the 4th round.
No U18 for Russia may have dropped this kid in their lap.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If you watched what were your impressions?
I only watched a period against Belarus U20 and I can see the hot potato effect with the puck. Probably his first game action in quite some time so that was to be expected. His skating was on display one shift where he almost got the edge on the defender leading the rush then made it back to break up a play. He looks a little slight however seemed strong enough in the corner. I will watch the Russia White vs Red tomorrow when I'm less tired.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I only watched a period against Belarus U20 and I can see the hot potato effect with the puck. Probably his first game action in quite some time so that was to be expected. His skating was on display one shift where he almost got the edge on the defender leading the rush then made it back to break up a play. He looks a little slight however seemed strong enough in the corner. I will watch the Russia White vs Red tomorrow when I'm less tired.
Mischief appreciate the observations. He’s got years to round out his game so maybe he turns into the next generation of LHD for NJ .

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Because now he signed better deal in KHL than he could have in AHL. For his development is much better to play 19 min against CSKA in western conference finals. And if he build some fundament in KHL, after he can go try himself in USA, and if he isnt succesfull, he can come back and get good money. It`s a safier way and it`s often much better for their development. Ice hockey life is short, they should think twice what kind of opportunity is better for them. Even top talents prefer to build their career through the KHL systems. And yeah, Life in Russia is much cheaper.
It’s not like our AHL team has an endless number of openings, we just drafted a bunch of defensemen and no AHL has only prospects at any position.

Having guys develop on someone else’s dime in Europe or the NCAA isn’t a bad thing.

I’m not completely optimistic about the overall situation, KHL teams and the Russian government are being pretty aggressive about keeping players, but you typically wait years for a 4th round defenseman.

If he develops well and we sign him after this contract that’s rousing success.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It’s not like our AHL team has an endless number of openings, we just drafted a bunch of defensemen and no AHL has only prospects at any position.

Having guys develop on someone else’s dime in Europe or the NCAA isn’t a bad thing.

I’m not completely optimistic about the overall situation, KHL teams and the Russian government are being pretty aggressive about keeping players, but you typically wait years for a 4th round defenseman.

If he develops well and we sign him after this contract that’s rousing success.
Khl and Russian government spend money for their development, ofcourse they are trying to keeping players. Some stupid personalities try harder than they understand what will going on after.
Political/diplomatic situation is bad and we don't know how it will turn, but if things will gonna badly, I don't think Orlovs 4 year deal will be a real problem we should think about. Optimism is good thing, but not a working thing, but if there are no place for optimism,, I believe for most part of hockey citizens from Russia is better to be where they wanna be.

I believe we should stay in the previous orders and talk about where development system better and where players can make more money before starting nhl career, because when we are tribg to analyze situation from political side, we lost a lot of little things because the political climate isn't stable and there are to many questions we don't know answers for and even don't know about exisistance of that questions.

Hope after 4 years world will return for dialog in political, economical, sports spheres etc

My3Sons

Sponsor
Khl and Russian government spend money for their development, ofcourse they are trying to keeping players. Some stupid personalities try harder than they understand what will going on after.
Political/diplomatic situation is bad and we don't know how it will turn, but if things will gonna badly, I don't think Orlovs 4 year deal will be a real problem we should think about. Optimism is good thing, but not a working thing, but if there are no place for optimism,, I believe for most part of hockey citizens from Russia is better to be where they wanna be.

I believe we should stay in the previous orders and talk about where development system better and where players can make more money before starting nhl career, because when we are tribg to analyze situation from political side, we lost a lot of little things because the political climate isn't stable and there are to many questions we don't know answers for and even don't know about exisistance of that questions.

Hope after 4 years world will return for dialog in political, economical, sports spheres etc
I think you are saying you hope for a return to normalcy by the end of Orlov’s KHL deal? That makes sense and is likely. I won’t comment on the conflict since this is a hockey board. As for Orlov, if he was an NCAA defender we’d expect him to play for three years in college. One more year won’t be a big deal. Frankly, NJ needs to work out its glut of left handed defenders before they can even know what sort of spot might be available for Orlov. I will say I am surprised that NJ went back to the well of KHL left handed prospect defenders when both Zaitsev and Misyul seem to show little to no interest in coming to North America. At least Mukhamadullin seems like he will make the effort at the end of this season.

Reactions: Guadana

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
View attachment 566783
He played on a very bad team.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think you are saying you hope for a return to normalcy by the end of Orlov’s KHL deal? That makes sense and is likely. I won’t comment on the conflict since this is a hockey board. As for Orlov, if he was an NCAA defender we’d expect him to play for three years in college. One more year won’t be a big deal. Frankly, NJ needs to work out its glut of left handed defenders before they can even know what sort of spot might be available for Orlov. I will say I am surprised that NJ went back to the well of KHL left handed prospect defenders when both Zaitsev and Misyul seem to show little to no interest in coming to North America. At least Mukhamadullin seems like he will make the effort at the end of this season.
Zaitsev is a very good pick for late rounder. Misyul story didn’t end. Guys don’t want to spend time in ahl, because money, safe experience etc. and if he will be good enough and Jersey wants him to give good value deal, I believe they can find a way to make agreement. Or trade him. Both are much better defensemen than most of what you get in 3-7 rounds. after all it’s a question of needs and salary.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
Zaitsev is a very good pick for late rounder. Misyul story didn’t end. Guys don’t want to spend time in ahl, because money, safe experience etc. and if he will be good enough and Jersey wants him to give good value deal, I believe they can find a way to make agreement. Or trade him. Both are much better defensemen than most of what you get in 3-7 rounds. after all it’s a question of needs and salary.
I agree that Zaitsev and Misyul both have a path to the NHL. For Zaitsev it's just a function of deciding he wants to sign a deal to play here for a year and see what happens. For Misyul maybe he needs to attend a prospect camp or two and skate with North American prospects and see how the game works over here. Presumably NJ brass can see how he looks relative to other prospects and if he fits, but, you figure the existing prospects (L. Hughes, Bahl, Okhotiyuk, Mukhamadullin) are ahead of him? I guess it's hard to trade a KHL player as a prospect? You'd expect Zaitsev and Misyul to both be worthwhile trade targets for a mid round pick.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I agree that Zaitsev and Misyul both have a path to the NHL. For Zaitsev it's just a function of deciding he wants to sign a deal to play here for a year and see what happens. For Misyul maybe he needs to attend a prospect camp or two and skate with North American prospects and see how the game works over here. Presumably NJ brass can see how he looks relative to other prospects and if he fits, but, you figure the existing prospects (L. Hughes, Bahl, Okhotiyuk, Mukhamadullin) are ahead of him? I guess it's hard to trade a KHL player as a prospect? You'd expect Zaitsev and Misyul to both be worthwhile trade targets for a mid round pick.
I don't think Zaitsev will. But at least our scouts found top 4 khl level defenseman. Its a good result for player who was drafted in latest rounds.
With Misyul will see. He is better player than Smith now. He us better than Walsh. I think he could be better than Bahl and he is better than Vukojevic too. He us very mobile and good positionaly. I would say he is trying to play as safe as he can and sometimes I want to see more active aggressive game. Anyway potential is there. As a playmaker on the blueline he isn't as great, but he can do good long and fast passes.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
About trades... if someone of them will decide to travel, and, for example some contender will try to find bottom paring option, who can play solid defensive role and cost not so much, it is an option for them.
If I want to trade them, I want hockey trades. Picks isn't a thing for me. May be second round, but I don't think it is their price. I prefer to have them as a back up plan for a day when this team will be closer to maximum cap hit and targets will be max.

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
He will be like 23/24 and a much better player in 4 years when the extension ends , it just sucks that he signed it right after being drafted. Makes it feel like the ship has sailed with him playing here already somehow...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He will be like 23/24 and a much better player in 4 years when the extension ends , it just sucks that he signed it right after being drafted. Makes it feel like the ship has sailed with him playing here already somehow...
Not at all, if anything it shows me NJ made the right choice. It would worry me more if a team like Spartak wasn't offering a 4 year contract. Lets just hope he plays VHL the next two years so he gets the most icetime and can develop some offense to his game.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
About trades... if someone of them will decide to travel, and, for example some contender will try to find bottom paring option, who can play solid defensive role and cost not so much, it is an option for them.
If I want to trade them, I want hockey trades. Picks isn't a thing for me. May be second round, but I don't think it is their price. I prefer to have them as a back up plan for a day when this team will be closer to maximum cap hit and targets will be max.
sometimes there is no other fit.

you trade a player for picks and invest the picks in a player in a separate transaction. the picks are used like money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad