Seravalli: Zadorov thinks he can get 6X6

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Habs have overpaid big for David Savard but you won't see many people complaining in Montreal. Most teams would want a guy like Zadorov as a leader on the back end.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
If he gets more than a 4x4 it's gonna be bad.

Whoever signs him is gonna overpay and regret it within a year. I just hope it's not the Leafs

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Has he raised his stock THAT much on the canucks?

Because you'd think if a team was willing to pay 6x6, they'd have been willing to pay a 3rd+5th

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People are thinking far too much that the cap bumps this summer and next are going to give clubs infinite flexibility and cap space without factoring in the salary inflation that is coming to offset that extra room.

Unless a team has most of its core and a good bit of its depth already signed to long-term contracts, teams are going to have to get used to middle-six forwards and second-pairing defense getting paid. It's going to eat up the supposed extra room to breathe for GMs fast.
This is like a direct shot at Bruins fans haha

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
The upcoming NHL free agencies seem quite similar to the NBA around 2016. The cap increased substantially that year and a lot of teams handed out contracts they would later regret but justified at the time because of the increasing salary cap. Nikita Zadorov getting 6X6 will probably end up like the Evan Turner deal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Basic economics. There aren't a lot of tall dmen like him on the target so yeah, he'll get paid.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He absolutely can. He’s been a 20 minute per night physical beast with offensive tools in the most important part of a season.

He just turned 29 a few weeks ago. He’s always been outrageously physically talented. It’s not unheard of for a blueliner to blossom later in his career. He’s needed consistency and to show he can play bigger minutes.

He’s passed with flying colors. He’s the exact type of defender who is going to get paid because he shows you the type of guy who you need on your blueline in the playoffs.

This also isn’t just about “being big”. Ben Chiarot is a big tough oaf who got paid substantially at a much older age after being a big wet 16 minute a night fart for the Panthers in the playoffs. Zadorov is a different dimension in terms of mobility and playability in different situations.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
He's absolutely not worth it, but I can't wait to laugh my ass off in his free agent thread when a GM signs that contract.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If Zadorov is willing to go to a non-playoff team, then I could see something close to that.

But I can't imagine cap teams willing to pay him that much. He just doesn't have the track record of playing top 4 D year in year out.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If he gets more than a 4x4 it's gonna be bad.

Whoever signs him is gonna overpay and regret it within a year. I just hope it's not the Leafs
4x4 is nothing for a #4Dman with physical edge. Zadorov will get more than that for sure.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Habs have overpaid big for David Savard but you won't see many people complaining in Montreal. Most teams would want a guy like Zadorov as a leader on the back end.
How the hell did the Habs overpay him at 3.5? Zadorov is asking for nearly double. Not to mention that Savard turned down more expensive contracts just to be with the Habs.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
4x4 is nothing for a #4Dman with physical edge. Zadorov will get more than that for sure.
If he's a number four defensemen why does he nearly exclusively play third pairing minutes across almost every team he's been on?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think I can get Anna Kendrick.

It's nice to have dreams.

Cool to have Anthony Beauvillier posting on this here site. :laugh:

Anyway...i don't think it's unreasonable to believe that Zadorov could get something at least in that $6M x 6 ballpark. His playoffs have been absolutely huge for his stock. He's done exactly what every team wants from their behemoth defenceman in elevating his game in the playoffs.

Look at what Ben Chiarot got for doing the same in the Habs run (even after failing to replicate that with Florida the next year)...under a lower cap. I also don't think that the $$$ value is that farfetched when you look at what say...Gavrikov got, albeit on a shorter deal...specifically to try to cash in on more money in the years to come. So $5.8M as a short-term "low offer" to bet on himself and the rising cap.

I hope he can be retained for less, but i think he'll have potential offers out there that could drive his price up to this range. Gonna make it real tough for Vancouver to figure out how to retain both Zadorov and Hronek though. Complicated by the fact that through the playoffs, Zadorov has really been the better defenceman for them.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad