Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 46 31.1%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 4.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm not sure where the certainty that Ehlers is gone comes from. Murat? It's not like Ehlers is the only player who hasn't worked out a new contract. There is plenty of time.

Why are we so sure he's crying about ice time? Isn't this the same guy who passed on PP1 because he felt he could contribute more on PP2?

Can his body handle the 19 minutes+ a game it requires to play on the 1st line. He sure gets hurt a lot. Even this year at 82 games he was rumored to have a nagging injury. And last year a sports hernia, which the same injury pretty much ended Ladd's career.

Hear me out....maybe .....just maybe they all agree 16 minutes a game for 82 (or as close to) games against lesser competition is far better than 60 games at 19+ minutes.

There is a possibility that Ehlers isn't asking anyone to be offended for him.
I have a feeling that Murat hangs out in the same stats-based echo chamber on Twitter that a few posters on here do. Once they decide something is true, in their eyes it's true

One poster (I think I forget who) claimed that their little community is actually influencing TNSE decisions through their interactions with the media lol

Now that I think about it, based on Murat's takes and how they line up with some posters on here, it wouldn't surprise me if he was actually one of them

Reactions: Dale53130

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
The TEAM finished +60. 4th in the league.

This board-- But but but Ehlers.....but but but Perfetti......but but but Heinola but but but old school .It's about TEAM.
....and this team, coached the way it was in the playoffs, lost handily. The TEAM is the most important thing and optimizing the lineup to give the TEAM the best chance to win is imperative.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I have a feeling that Murat hangs out in the same stats-based echo chamber on Twitter that a few posters on here do. Once they decide something is true, in their eyes it's true

One poster (I think I forget who) claimed that their little community is actually influencing TNSE decisions through their interactions with the media lol

Now that I think about it, based on Murat's takes and how they line up with some posters on here, it wouldn't surprise me if he was actually one of them

Murat seems the most plugged in with the team of the reporters here. He interacts with the "stats-based echo chamber" more because they all work for the same publication.

I don't think you need advanced stats to think that the Ehlers contract situation is coming to a head soon. He can either extend July 1 or goes into the year with deal - or the Jets can use him to get some value.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Colorado's counterttack is really where their bread and butter is. Their D has the ability to gain possession quickly and move the puck quickly. They force you to dump it in and then beat you to pucks and counter. Don't need to spend much time clearing the crease when you can do that.

I think Helle would like a lot more guys that can beat forecheckers to the puck and win battles and transition the puck out of the zone quick and never have to look around players after the opposition is set up in the zone.
The team needs guys who can turn the puck over and move guys from the front of the net. There is a Ying and yang to everything. We have too many of the same at this point. Other than Dillon we had NO ONE who could handle Nichushkin other than Dillon. We had no one other than Dillon clearing the net on the PK or any other time. No one knocking guys down on the rebound.

I agree another problem the Jets had was no one would get in front of McKinnon and Makar. They would skate from their end to our end untouched. Just Jets running away the whole time. As pointed out by Helle and Lowry it was a simple stop up at the blue line and no one covering the trailer. Pass across and prime shot. Then be late to the puck every time. No one to slow them down. No one to play physical. No one to make it hard. No one turning the puck over. No one helping our elite goaltender see. A Damn save and whistle also stops the cycle. None of our many 6ft 190lbs defensemen were doing it. Trying to compare those guys to Makar is a non starter. We don't have a Makar. It's not all about size. But it helps. There is no advantage to being small. It's something you need to overcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orrrules and DRW204

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
There have been numerous discussions on this team not being big or physical enough on these boards.
I'll turn your point into a reply of "being small isn't the be all end all". Or did I miss the point as bad as your reply?

All things being equal give me a big strong smooth skater over a tiny weak smooth skater. Being small is something to overcome.

I don't want an entire team of Dillons. But I want a better balance.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Murat seems the most plugged in with the team of the reporters here. He interacts with the "stats-based echo chamber" more because they all work for the same publication.

I don't think you need advanced stats to think that the Ehlers contract situation is coming to a head soon. He can either extend July 1 or goes into the year with deal - or the Jets can use him to get some value.
Wasn't it Murat that was also saying that Schief and/or Helle were done with the team early last off season?

I wasn't referring to the "journalists" in the echo chamber, I'm talking about the random fans/posters on here who think they're a part of the "movement"

It's almost a nerdy, sports fan version of Q Anon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The team needs guys who can turn the puck over and move guys from the front of the net. There is a Ying and yang to everything. We have too many of the same at this point. Other than Dillon we had NO ONE who could handle Nichushkin other than Dillon. We had no one other than Dillon clearing the net on the PK or any other time. No one knocking guys down on the rebound.

I agree another problem the Jets had was no one would get in front of McKinnon and Makar. They would skate from their end to our end untouched. Just Jets running away the whole time. As pointed out by Helle and Lowry it was a simple stop up at the blue line and no one covering the trailer. Pass across and prime shot. Then be late to the puck every time. No one to slow them down. No one to play physical. No one to make it hard. No one turning the puck over. No one helping our elite goaltender see. A Damn save and whistle also stops the cycle. None of our many 6ft 190lbs defensemen were doing it. Trying to compare those guys to Makar is a non starter. We don't have a Makar. It's not all about size. But it helps. There is no advantage to being small. It's something you need to overcome.

Our dmen need our forwards to back track hard in the nz in order to hard gap. They backed in because they had next to no forward support.

The entire team was well off its game plan. Our system only works when we can count on everyone to do their job properly.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
....and this team, coached the way it was in the playoffs, lost handily. The TEAM is the most important thing and optimizing the lineup to give the TEAM the best chance to win is imperative.
How do other good coaches do in their second year of turning around a shit show? How did Cooper do? How did Bednar do? Who are you making a comparison to? Is this list long? If we both start making list of coaches it took more or less than 2.5 years who will have the longer list?

Lowry came out and said they were shown what was wrong. He straight said what was wrong. He said the players didn't execute. The coach can't do it for them.

Our dmen need our forwards to back track hard in the nz in order to hard gap. They backed in because they had next to no forward support.

The entire team was well off its game plan. Our system only works when we can count on everyone to do their job properly.
We agree on that part of the game but there is more than just that.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How do other good coaches do in their second year of turning around a shit show? How did Cooper do? How did Bednar do? Who are you making a comparison to? Is this list long?

Lowry came out and said they were shown what was wrong. He straight said what was wrong. He said the players didn't execute. The coach can't do it for them.

Of course. I share your view that outside of JoMo our dcore is very flawed. I juat view the flaws differently. Or should I say I think every dmen outside of JoMo be it big or small has small to severe flaws in their game play.

Dillion is good at what he does, he's mean and physical and plays a sound game in his end. On the negative he is poor with the puck on his stick and doesn't have a transition game so is forced to chip it up the boards more often the not. You can definitely make room for players of his ilk as they are valuable.

Snerg is like Dillion without the nasty, but he is much better then Dillion and likely league average in regards to puck control and transition ability. Once again you need players like him.

DeMelo much Snerg but not as big.

We have three similar type defensive dmen and imo we really only need two of them the way the league is trending.

On the flip side our puck moving dmen are juat not very good.

Pionk tries hard but is a mess in his end and is among the worst on the team at actually doing what he's supposed to do and move the puck. He's the biggest issue with our dcore imo. He needs to be replaced by a dmen that can actually do his job. That is where I see a Heinola helping this team. He can't be much worse and his transition ability offers a chance at a clear upgrade in time.

Schmidt has just aged out as a good third pairing puck mover. He's still adequate imo but we could use a Walker to take that spot.

Stanley is big and has found his mean streak but he's not mobile and can be victimized by speed.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't think anyone is suggesting blowing it up and if they are they have no idea how much this team will never do that.

There is no shame in taking a step back though to inject some more youth. Get a new coach. Maybe make some trades for the future/change of faces. We need to be thinking about the season after next and the season after that just as much as we are about next season.

I think you know.
Actually
I don't.

KC?
Scheif was a beast that year so it couldn't be him?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wasn't it Murat that was also saying that Schief and/or Helle were done with the team early last off season?

I wasn't referring to the "journalists" in the echo chamber, I'm talking about the random fans/posters on here who think they're a part of the "movement"

It's almost a nerdy, sports fan version of Q Anon

I don't believe he reported that they were done, just he believed they would be. Same as with the Ehlers discussion now.

I don't know who he interacts with on Twitter. Given that the league is trending that direction I wouldn't be surprised if it's more people with a stats based approach.

I don't think the posters here can be easily dismissed as just parroting statistics. They require some degree of interpretation so to dismiss them out of hand seems wrong. Though I'd agree that no one on HF or Twitter is influencing anyone in the NHL.

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't believe he reported that they were done, just he believed they would be. Same as with the Ehlers discussion now.

I don't know who he interacts with on Twitter. Given that the league is trending that direction I wouldn't be surprised if it's more people with a stats based approach.

I don't think the posters here can be easily dismissed as just parroting statistics. They require some degree of interpretation so to dismiss them out of hand seems wrong. Though I'd agree that no one on HF or Twitter is influencing anyone in the NHL.
Posters on here don't "parrot" statistics. They draw concrete conclusions from a very superficial understanding of some very basic, yet also flawed, publicly available jumbers

Reactions: WolfHouse

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

When the Avs got set up though, there was never any pressure on the points. The Jets wouldn't come out much past the top of the circles a lot of the time. Just give Makar 25-30 feet and all the time he wants and see what happens (spoiler: a shitload of goals against).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
When the Avs got set up though, there was never any pressure on the points. The Jets wouldn't come out much past the top of the circles a lot of the time. Just give Makar 25-30 feet and all the time he wants and see what happens (spoiler: a shitload of goals against).

Yup, that was another issue. We collapsed to quickly and weren't aggressive. Seems like the whole series the underlying theme was we were afraid of getting burnt, and as a result were far too passive.

I hope the org learned to that you need to stay true to your identity. I am fine if we play to our identity and lose then being afraid to make errors and lose.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
That's part of the game plan for most teams. Keep it to the outside and from distance. Let your elite goaltender (in the Jets case) see the puck. Get a whistle and then it's a 50/50 chance on the faceoff for possession. Except the Jets didn't let Hellebuyck see the puck.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yup, that was another issue. We collapsed to quickly and weren't aggressive. Seems like the whole series the underlying theme was we were afraid of getting burnt, and as a result were far too passive.

I hope the org learned to that you need to stay true to your identity. I am fine if we play to our identity and lose then being afraid to make errors and lose.
Yeah, we collapsed in a hurry - usually because we couldn't keep up with their cycle and the Aves liked to hang around net front.
What drives me crazy is that we collapsed but didn't take care of the guys that were taking the middle ice and allowing Makar those little wristers with a screen. The assumption is, if you are going to fall back on pressure, at least take care of the net front - we didn't (or couldn't) do that.
So our D are not good in transition, or outlets, or net front - what exactly are they good at?

On top of that, our wingers struggled keeping an eye on Makar - he was allowed a lot of room out there.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, we collapsed in a hurry - usually because we couldn't keep up with their cycle and the Aves liked to hang around net front.
What drives me crazy is that we collapsed but didn't take care of the guys that were taking the middle ice and allowing Makar those little wristers with a screen. The assumption is, if you are going to fall back on pressure, at least take care of the net front - we didn't (or couldn't) do that.
So our D are not good in transition, or outlets, or net front - what exactly are they good at?

On top of that, our wingers struggled keeping an eye on Makar - he was allowed a lot of room out there.

We really aren't quick enough to keep up with Colorado's cycle. If your not going to collapse you better be damn sure you can move up and down the zone quickly. We cannot and the Avs' can both move themselves and the puck faster than pretty much all of our players can react.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We really aren't quick enough to keep up with Colorado's cycle. If your not going to collapse you better be damn sure you can move up and down the zone quickly. We cannot and the Avs' can both move themselves and the puck faster than pretty much all of our players can react.

One of the reasons I've been harping on a more robust puck moving cycle for our team. We don't have the skating speed but we should have more then enough hockey iq to pull off switches/rotations with high speed puck movement to accomplish similar.

Reactions: Daximus

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
No surprise on them struggling to keep up - and that's why you might go with collapsing to protect the center ice.
But if you can't move stationary players out, or at least give Helle a peak at what's going on from the blueline, what's the point?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No surprise on them struggling to keep up - and that's why you might go with collapsing to protect the center ice.
But if you can't move stationary players out, or at least give Helle a peak at what's going on from the blueline, what's the point?

Well I think the goal is to keep the net front clear which we had largely done a good job of most of the season. We just had no answer for the Avs especially guys like Nichushkin. He battled with every D we had with relative ease.

One of the reasons I've been harping on a more robust puck moving cycle for our team. We don't have the skating speed but we should have more then enough hockey iq to pull off switches/rotations with high speed puck movement to accomplish similar.

That's why I think every pair needs a puck mover and someone who can play sound defence and handle the physicality.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well I think the goal is to keep the net front clear which we had largely done a good job of most of the season. We just had no answer for the Avs especially guys like Nichushkin. He battled with every D we had with relative ease.

That's why I think every pair needs a puck mover and someone who can play sound defence and handle the physicality.

Agreed. Our second line was hamstrung at times last year by not having the offensive support by the dcore. Another reason why Pionk needs to be upgraded. That or create a specific shut down pair to play with Lowry and have the other two pairings be more balanced.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
How do other good coaches do in their second year of turning around a shit show? How did Cooper do? How did Bednar do? Who are you making a comparison to? Is this list long? If we both start making list of coaches it took more or less than 2.5 years who will have the longer list?

Listen, you can advocate all you want for Bowness. IMHO he was not a great coach. He has a career .395 win percentage and has never won anything. Older vet players like him but his history with young players and integrating them is not good. I think he was by far a better assistant coach than a head coach. As an assistant he could implement structure and be a nice guy to the players. As a HC who has to make final decisions on rosters, playing time, lines situational decisions etc., he was not good at all. This was long before he came to Winnipeg aas well.

Other coaches like Brindamour and Deboer integrate young skill and aren't afraid if they make a mistake or god forbid, out play a vet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad