GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
That’s an interesting one too.
My preference is SEA’s 1st as the premium asset. Get one of the high upside D in the draft.
We loose the best player in the trade and potentially gain salary if we decided to lock Beniers long term but we would address the second line center position and add a big specimen 2nd pairing dman who can play either side.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
At no point have I said in here we shouldn't trade Marner, what I have a problem with is people diminishing his abilities and this opinion he's the reason we can't win anything

He's an extremely good player, he's got value so instead of getting all emotional and wanting to run him out of town for nothing let's talk about the good things we think he could return instead

You should understand that we’re not in a situation to extract full value in a Marner trade. There are way too many factors involved that can reduce the return.

NMC
1 Year Left
Huge cap hit
Everyone knows we want to move him

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You should understand that we’re not in a situation to extract full value in a Marner trade. There are way too many factors involved that can reduce the return.

NMC
1 Year Left
Huge cap hit
This. Finding a team that wants him that he would sign an extension with is the only way we get anything close to fair value for him.

I do think a Seattle or Utah might fit the bill here. They are new markets that lack star power and he would be great on and (potentially) off the ice for franchises trying to sell the game to new audiences.

The value we should HOPE to get is:

1. A couple of useful roster pieces. Say a top 4 dman and a young, inexpensive forward (or goalie) who can contribute.

2. Prospect of pick capital. A couple of lottery tickets. Maybe one of them with real value. (High pick or top prospect).

3. Cap space that we can allocate immediately to fill gaps...say another top 4
Dman, a 2LC, or a goalie.

4. A change in culture from not having Marner here, from not having a core four, from not having the weight of an upcoming contract negotiation with MM, and showing the rest of the roster we mean business.

This is why Marner for Wright, Oleksiak and a pick/prospect world me. We could add Roy or Tanev with the space on this deal. Who doesn't think that Oleksiak, Tanev, Wright and a prospect is fair value? Or at least good value and something we should consider?

I also think our off-season should see us extend JT and $8m or $9m over three years and he should give the C to Matthews.

Off season of new coach, new captain, three important pieces for Marner, and cap space next year with JT savings and another cap increase...sounds good to me.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
People reacting like if Marner is the only reason why lost. If Toronto lost, its because overal everyone was not enough good.

People reacting like something has to change. Marner makes the most sense.

Matthews get offensively 1 game where he producing

Nylander scored 3 goal... okay it's great of stats sheet...
-1 of his goal was mcaviy who scored on his own goal trying for no reason to block his shot.
-1 was in a breakaway when boston had no choice to force the play late in 3
-1 was result of carlo felt on the ice with the puck going right on matthews stick to get an easy 2v1 in front of the net.

Scoring 2 lucky bounce goal it is really the difference having a great series and get the target on your back?

Tavares outside of his goal and ot drive, did you saw him for anything in the series? i dont know how many time leafs lost puck possession after jt touching the puck.

He's not the only player on that pp who created absolutly nothing

How many goal leafs bottom 6 scored? 1 goal and dont tell me its because they didn't cap space to spend on it, Boston didn't had more more on their bottom 6.

Dubas' roster concept didn't work. It needs to change. Again, Marner makes the most sense.

so personally i dont bite on it... absolutly need to trade marner and that will change everything. unstead he absolutly want to be out of toronto or asking an phenomenal $$$, if they trading marner for me, it's not to get free money or whatever, it should be to bring in a great D and nothing else.

We absolutely need to make a change to the team's roster construction. It doesn't have to be Marner, but it makes the most sense.

Sometime when you thinking youre doing the best thing, its not always the case... # Tavares, huberdeau/ Weagar... Everyone thinking is was great move when they did it and now like one of worst move in NHL.

It was a great move when they did it. Tkachuk wanted out, and made it clear he would only sign a 1 year contract so he could become a UFA. They traded 1 year of Tkachuk for 1 year of Huberdeau and 8 years of MacKenzie Weegar.

It was the contract extension to Huberdeau that was the mistake.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Beniers is a pipe dream, nobody is giving up their top asset for Marner because we have no leverage. Management needs to be shrewd and identify undervalued players/prospects with upside like they did with Cowan. Most likely end up with a three quarters for a dollar trade, young roster player+prospect+pick.

Some examples.

Carter for Voracek, 8th, 68th.
Richards for B. Schenn, Simmonds, 61st.
Eichel for Tuch, Krebs, 16th.
Kessel for Kapanen, Harrington, 30th.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
This. Finding a team that wants him that he would sign an extension with is the only way we get anything close to fair value for him.

I do think a Seattle or Utah might fit the bill here. They are new markets that lack star power and he would be great on and (potentially) off the ice for franchises trying to sell the game to new audiences.

The value we should HOPE to get is:

1. A couple of useful roster pieces. Say a top 4 dman and a young, inexpensive forward (or goalie) who can contribute.

2. Prospect of pick capital. A couple of lottery tickets. Maybe one of them with real value. (High pick or top prospect).

3. Cap space that we can allocate immediately to fill gaps...say another top 4
Dman, a 2LC, or a goalie.

4. A change in culture from not having Marner here, from not having a core four, from not having the weight of an upcoming contract negotiation with MM, and showing the rest of the roster we mean business.

This is why Marner for Wright, Oleksiak and a pick/prospect world me. We could add Roy or Tanev with the space on this deal. Who doesn't think that Oleksiak, Tanev, Wright and a prospect is fair value? Or at least good value and something we should consider?

I also think our off-season should see us extend JT and $8m or $9m over three years and he should give the C to Matthews.

Off season of new coach, new captain, three important pieces for Marner, and cap space next year with JT savings and another cap increase...sounds good to me.

I'd be happy to add a top-4 d, but we also need a #2 center to play with Nylander. That should drop Tavares to the 3rd line where he can play with Cowen.

Even with Chandler Stephenson walking out of Vegas, they have a glut of centers - Eichel, Hertl, Karlsson, Roy, Howden. Would they be willing to dish William Karlsson along with Kaeden Korzcak for a 50% retained Marner?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd be happy to add a top-4 d, but we also need a #2 center to play with Nylander. That should drop Tavares to the 3rd line where he can play with Cowen.

Even with Chandler Stephenson walking out of Vegas, they have a glut of centers - Eichel, Hertl, Karlsson, Roy, Howden. Would they be willing to dish William Karlsson along with Kaeden Korzcak for a 50% retained Marner?
That's the sort of trade i could get behind, but I'd want a 1st or 2nd too.

Reactions: aingefan

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
You're trading 1 year of Marner for 3 years of Karlsson and multiple years of Korczak. I don't think you're also getting significant picks.
Any team trading for Marner is trading for him with the intentions of re-signing him.

Any team Marner is willing to waive his NMC is a team he’s willing to re-sign with.

Any deal with Vegas, with Marner going there better involve Theodore coming to Toronto.

Reactions: Pinto and aingefan

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
People reacting like if Marner is the only reason why lost. If Toronto lost, its because overal everyone was not enough good.

Matthews get offensively 1 game where he producing

Nylander scored 3 goal... okay it's great of stats sheet...
-1 of his goal was mcaviy who scored on his own goal trying for no reason to block his shot.
-1 was in a breakaway when boston had no choice to force the play late in 3
-1 was result of carlo felt on the ice with the puck going right on matthews stick to get an easy 2v1 in front of the net.

Scoring 2 lucky bounce goal it is really the difference having a great series and get the target on your back?

Tavares outside of his goal and ot drive, did you saw him for anything in the series? i dont know how many time leafs lost puck possession after jt touching the puck.

He's not the only player on that pp who created absolutly nothing

How many goal leafs bottom 6 scored? 1 goal and dont tell me its because they didn't cap space to spend on it, Boston didn't had more more on their bottom 6.

so personally i dont bite on it... absolutly need to trade marner and that will change everything. unstead he absolutly want to be out of toronto or asking an phenomenal $$$, if they trading marner for me, it's not to get free money or whatever, it should be to bring in a great D and nothing else.

Sometime when you thinking youre doing the best thing, its not always the case... # Tavares, huberdeau/ Weagar... Everyone thinking is was great move when they did it and now like one of worst move in NHL.
You're nitpicking goals now? What a ridiculous post. Well Marner had no choice to force play several times but did he f***ing score thrice? No? So wtf are you talking about?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Florida needs to shed cap space, Woll for Knight straight up? Who says no?

Sign Driedger in free agency.

Knight - Driedger - Hildeby. I could roll with that.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

NMC
1 Year Left
Huge cap hit
True, but this is balanced out some by:
Paying his signing bonus; teams are getting a free year basically
Chance to extend - team is getting nine years for the price of 8
It only takes two teams to create a bidding war. More than two will be interested. The unknown is what Mitch will consent to.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

We do absolutely need a 2LC and maybe even a 1B goalie in addition to D. In a cap world, it is always about prioritization. I would prioritize our D for a few reasons.

The first being, we have holes there. Brodie is gone, Giordano is gone, Lyubushkin is gone, Edmundson is gone...or all are UFAs anyway. That leaves a few Rielly, McCabe, Benoit, Liljegren, and Timmins. Our prospects have low ceilings and aren't ready yet with Niemela, Webber and Chadwick. We need two top fours at least.

The next being we have lots of forwards and our prospects are closer to contributing. Centre is a weakness but we do have Matthews, Tavares, Domi (UFA, but we sign him), Holmberg, Dewar, Kampf, and Minten all options for next year. It's not perfect, but I think stronger than our D. We also have very strong wingers that can help carry lines too in Nylander, Bertuzzi (UFA, be we sign him), maybe Domi if not at C, Knies, McMann, Jarnkrok, and Cowan.

Our Goalie situation relies on Woll being good and healthy. I like Jones and Murray as third and fourth for depth and Hildeby as the unknown slotting in anywhere from 2nd to 5th. I am ok with a Stolarz or Broissant as our backup for a year or two.

Long way of saying, that I agree we need center help but we should prioritize elsewhere. The Oleksiak and Wright return for Marner is my ideal framework.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
We loose the best player in the trade and potentially gain salary if we decided to lock Beniers long term but we would address the second line center position and add a big specimen 2nd pairing dman who can play either side.
Not a bad concept. I wouldn’t be violently opposed.
Seattle also has Burakovsky coming off a down year who’s got a history with coach.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Florida needs to shed cap space, Woll for Knight straight up? Who says no?

Sign Driedger in free agency.

Knight - Driedger - Hildeby. I could roll with that.
Florida might be amenable to this just because they'd still have Bobrovsky. Best case scenario for Toronto here is that Knight replaces Woll as its top option in goal. The problem then potentially extends to these other options because Driedger (injuries) and Hildeby (no NHL experience) are IMO a bit too much to gamble on right now for even the backup and tertiary role respectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLAM34

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Florida might be amenable to this just because they'd still have Bobrovsky. Best case scenario for Toronto here is that Knight replaces Woll as its best option in goal. The problem then potentially extends to these other options because Driedger (injuries) and Hildeby (no NHL experience) are IMO a bit too much to gamble on for even the backup and tertiary role respectively.
Why would the Panthers help the Leafs and for a goalie with a history of injuries. I'd go after Stolarz and run a tandem of Stolarz and Woll with a cheap vet as #3.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why would the Panthers help the Leafs and for a goalie with a history of injuries. I'd go after Stolarz and run a tandem of Stolarz and Woll with a cheap vet as #3.

Not really a fan of Stolarz as an option
The UFA market for goalies looks downright bad this offseason. Not seeing any solutions there.

Also not convinced Woll can stay healthy. That tandem could get us into similar trouble to this year pretty quickly. Except next time we may not have a Martin Jones waiting in the AHL to save our season

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not really a fan of Stolarz as an option
The UFA market for goalies looks downright bad this offseason. Also not convinced Woll can stay healthy. That tandem could get us into similar trouble to this year pretty quickly. Except next time we may not have Jones waiting in the AHL to save our season
Agreed it is a risk and they have to decide if it is worth the risk over spending assets on a more expensive option like Saros or Markstrom.

I also expect Tre to beef up the D so you might get away with a cheaper option in goal.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
People reacting like something has to change. Marner makes the most sense.

Dubas' roster concept didn't work. It needs to change. Again, Marner makes the most sense.

We absolutely need to make a change to the team's roster construction. It doesn't have to be Marner, but it makes the most sense.

It was a great move when they did it. Tkachuk wanted out, and made it clear he would only sign a 1 year contract so he could become a UFA. They traded 1 year of Tkachuk for 1 year of Huberdeau and 8 years of MacKenzie Weegar.

It was the contract extension to Huberdeau that was the mistake.

1-the guy in my mind who make the most sense, its tavares. Personally i would like to see ath least 1 season with marner in the line up but with jt 11 M spend to upgrade the d group.

For me Marner become the Keaael 2.p where all the blame going on for all leafs miscue like it was the case with Kessel when he left.

2-if marner accept to be trade, he will choose where he want to go, so contrairly to what people hoping for... it will be hard for treliving to get a bidding war if marner only have 2 or 3 team hes open to be trade ( if hes open to leave the team...)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The only reason I can see for Florida to do this is to save cap on a reasonable position within its roster (Bobrovsky has been their guy in goal). Although Stolarz might be fine here, I'd ideally prefer someone who has a history of taking the reins (in the event that Woll's ability to remain healthy permits him from doing so).

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad