WC: Team Canada 2024

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If we didn't care about winning, we could put together one heck of a YOUNG team...

Bedard
Fantilli
Cozens
Benson
Quinn
Neighbours
Zary
Celebrini
Dylan Holloway - I don't think he'll plays in the playoffs for Edmonton
Wright
Greig
Bolduc
Newhook
Akil Thomas
McTavish

Power
Byram
Zellweger
Korchinski
Guhle
Drysdale

Levi
^^ What I posted a month ago... ^^

Right but the people running the team do care. There are still plenty of good young talent on this team anyways.
That's true and I agree. Still, I'm allowed to be disappointed.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
my interest has gone way down lol fantilli celebrini and bedard was my main reasons for being more excited then usual for this tournament.. wont be upset if work makes me miss any games now atleast lol

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't like the decision. The TSN story says that the players knew in advance that this was a possibility, which helps, and I even think that this clearly makes the team more competitive. My interest has gone down but I still plan to watch most of Canada's games. If Fantilli was reasonably healthy he could have been a legitimate contributor and I hoped to see what Celebrini could do against professionals, plus give him the benefit of getting some reps at this level.

Not a fan of the move but Hagel is a good player for this level and Paul has a clear useful role.

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Thank God for small favours. Finally some GOOD news...

1715098475364.png

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think you guys are really overstating how poor Dubois' season was. I posted the below in another thread comparing his contract to Huberdeau's. TLDR his 5v5 productivity was arguably the best we've seen from him since the pandemic, he was just given a significantly reduced role, especially on the PP.

At first glance, it looks like Dubois' production fell off a cliff this year after a career high 63 points last year (71 point pace). But digging a bit deeper, that's not really an honest appraisal.

Compared to last year, his role was significantly reduced, especially with being dropped to PP2. His PP TOI was cut nearly in half, and his ES TOI dropped by more than a minute. But surprisingly, his 5v5 production was arguably the best we've seen from since before the pandemic. Here's his 5v5 scoring rates over the last 4 years:

2021: 1.21 P/60 0.91 P1/60 6.6% oish%
2022: 1.66 P/60 1.16 P1/60 8.0% oish%
2023: 1.78 P/60 1.19 P1/60 9.9% oish%
2024: 1.75 P/60 1.30 P1/60 7.7% oish%

His P1/60 has climbed for 4 straight seasons, despite a 22% drop in his oish% this year. His 5v5 scoring was effectively identical to Kopitar. Oddly enough, the King's 3 top centers all had nearly identical 5v5 point totals:

Danault
33p 1.87 p/60 8.0 oish%
Kopitar
32p 1.75 p/60 9.2 oish%
Dubois
31p 1.75 p/60 7.7 oish%

Looking at it from that perspective, Dubois didn't appear to have that bad of a year, even with a lower oish%. I think he'd quite easily bounce back to a 60-70 point player if given a larger PP role and a bit more ES ice time.

He's a great add for a team that was looking for top 6 center depth.
That's all fair. My criticisms of his play are based more on what I saw from him in some regular season games and each playoff game, and in those games he generally ranged from awful to unnoticeable. I do think that he is a solid add for the team because on talent he's the number one centre of the team and players can use this tournament to build on something going forward. By rights Dubois should be motivated to play well and shut people up with all the buyout talk... but I'm not sure.

I do think it is a risk worth taking at this level.

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
I don't like the decision. The TSN story says that the players knew in advance that this was a possibility, which helps, and I even think that this clearly makes the team more competitive. My interest has gone down but I still plan to watch most of Canada's games. If Fantilli was reasonably healthy he could have been a legitimate contributor and I hoped to see what Celebrini could do against professionals, plus give him the benefit of getting some reps at this level.

Not a fan of the move but Hagel is a good player for this level and Paul has a clear useful role.
Hagel is a great player. His progress is hard to miss, he spent two great seasons for Tampa, and in the playoffs he was the most useful in the team. I was delighted to see him on the list of players for the tournament.

Reactions: jj cale

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hagel is a great player. His progress is hard to miss, he spent two great seasons for Tampa, and in the playoffs he was the most useful in the team. I was delighted to see him on the list of players for the tournament.
Yes I know that Hagel is good, as I said he is a good player for this level. Paul has a clear role too and should contribute well. The team is more competitive with them most likely.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Not mad, just disappointed. As for winning this tournament : Again, I don't care. I would have loved to see an all KID team...
This is World Hockey Championship, not some exhibition tournament. All nations want to have as good team as possible, if you have opportunity to strengthen the team, you do it. Canada adding ~70 pts player and they will get criticized for that... :D Team Canada is significantly improved after todays moves (Dubois, Hagel, Paul).

They still got Bedard, Zellweger, Power, Guenther, Cozens etc, that's not enough young upcoming stars? Looking forward to watch this team, especially when they will play against Czechs, lol.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Hard to argue that but I prefer rewarding players who are already there in most cases. It seems they were told of this possibility so that takes a little sting out of it.
If I'm Celebrini's parents, I'm relieved. Their kid is months away from changing his life for the better (the Draft and ELC) and the last thing they want is an injury. Maybe he wasn't worried but I guarantee his parents were.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If I'm Celebrini's parents, I'm relieved. Their kid is months away from changing his life for the better (the draft) and the last thing you want is an injury.
I suppose.

And my man Slaf with the major league play to get a goal back against the U.S. I've got big plans for him in Montreal!!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I always felt that Hockey Canada moved in a positive direction when they stopped parachuting guys in as the playoffs proceeded because it upset the team chemistry and was unfair to guys who agreed to go from the start.

Obviously this is a bit different given the ages of the guys but I still don’t really like it.

Just doesn’t seem like a classy thing to do.

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
Dear Canada fans, would anyone mind sharing the PP units from the game that was played against Austria two days ago or even better, from todays game against Hungary?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I always felt that Hockey Canada moved in a positive direction when they stopped parachuting guys in as the playoffs proceeded because it upset the team chemistry and was unfair to guys who agreed to go from the start.

Obviously this is a bit different given the ages of the guys but I still don’t really like it.

Just doesn’t seem like a classy thing to do.
Totally agree. If you don't intend to keep the guys you invite, don't invite them until you are sure you're gonna want them.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad