Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If not for Kreider scoring the hattrick we'd be talking more about Panarin.

He was everywhere in that 3rd period. Every time he was on the ice we were getting grade A chances
yeah, I saw some effort, but he looked ineffective b'c he seemed gassed

hopefully even if close we can win next series quick -> fewest games
and
hopefully they will play Rempe/4th line mo mins-> top 3 lines = mo effective

I'd rather have optimum bread 2-3 mins less playing time and he has mo energy

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Honestly this is not far off from everyday lawyer negotiations. If both sides start in the same range, it’s just a matter of making a couple moves to the middle so each side feels the other gave up something.
In a sense. But legal negotiations are usually a lot longer and more involved, dependent on the size of the deal.

I can say that some of my worst memories from my banking career consisted of sitting in conference rooms with a bunch of traders and Wall Street attorneys fighting over blacklines in the tax section of trade docs. I still have nightmares. All those IRC section references.....gah!

Having said all that the process is necessary because one side is always, always trying to hide something from the other, some weird obscure conditional trigger that when it hits and the phone rings you're like 'What, no we didn't agree to that.'

This is a hell of a lot simpler and cleaner. You have:

Player-one guy
Pick conditions-you're managing at most two future drafts with only 7 picks available per team
Team performance conditions within a window of a few months
Playing time conditions within a window of a few months

Pffft. Easy peasy, all easily definable with many fewer variables. A five year old could do this stuff (or at least an IB intern). The hardest part IMO is telling the guy he's been traded although in this case Rossy probably lit up like a Christmas tree when he got the news.

I was a bit disappointed that Drury didn't get a bit more creative and instead of offering the pick put 15-20 pizzas on the table. The notion of a good pie is utterly foreign in Ohio so I'd think they'd jump at the opportunity to enjoy even a mediocre non-chain restaurant product.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Honestly, I think Necas will be a part of a larger Ehlers deal, but Drury should 100% be involved with getting Necas or Ehlers on the roster.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Necas could be nasty af

Are the Canes finally going to relinquish that KHL defenseman they've been hyping up to be a Bourque/Lidstrom hybrid?

I get it, Necas is a good starting point but it should take way more than that. Pathetic playoff numbers aside, Ehlers is a fantastic player.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
If not for Kreider scoring the hattrick we'd be talking more about Panarin.

He was everywhere in that 3rd period. Every time he was on the ice we were getting grade A chances
Funny cause I was rick'd at him on the play when Trouba pinched and they came in transition. Not gonna get it done like that.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Are the Canes finally going to relinquish that KHL defenseman they've been hyping up to be a Bourque/Lidstrom hybrid?

I get it, Necas is a good starting point but it should take way more than that. Pathetic playoff numbers aside, Ehlers is a fantastic player.
What am I missing here? Necas is basically as good as Ehlers and he’s three years younger. Way more?

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Forget everything else, 2 of his 9 years he's been > 17 mins a night speaks volumes. Heavily, heavily sheltered ozone starts every year of his career too.

He'll get traded for a Gritty McGrit, the Jets will get panned for it, and they'll end up better off.
Considering the rate at which he scores, not playing a lot is the opposite of a knock against him.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Considering the rate at which he scores, not playing a lot is the opposite of a knock against him.
“Hmm this guy who scores at an insanely high rate and is good at everything isn’t playing as much as other top players. Surely he must have a secret fatal flaw and it’s not just that his old goon coach is in over his head throwing shit at the wall”

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Necas would thrive with this core. Kakko or Othmann for a RW/C in the right age range. Not really going deep on offseason moves yet but it’s fun to think about taking advantage of Carolina’s thriftiness again
Good player. He should def shoot the puck more, but he’s solid and productive.
My main problem is he’s a winger that’s gonna get aid like a center imo.
I do think he’s the odd man out in Car. They just need the cap elsewhere and think they can replace him easier than some others.
Thought he was dangerous against us for sure….
However, I don’t know how much of that is system related/opposed to talent related.
If you believe reports from his father, he’s looking for top 6 min/ 1PP time. While he would certainly likely be a RW for kreids and zibby, he’s not unseating anyone on the PP. if fact he needs to get in line, we already have our 1 OA who shoots that needs 1 PP Time.
Not really a big proponent of paying necas 6.8-7.5 per( somewhere in there)
All zibby and kreds need is a good complementary wing. A guy that does the dirty work and can provide 20 or so goals and 40-50 pts. For the amount we’d have to trade, we can find someone cheaper and not pay the in division tax.
Go get a guy like zetterlund, cheaper to acquire and is a great young Swiss Army knife that’s still cheap contractually.

Then bring up Berard and have him kakko zetterlund see who finds the magic with the twins. Hell, I’d even try cuylle there tbh.
Roslovics speed has been the 1 glaring change from wheeler and even Kakko.
It gives that line a new dimension.
Necas isn’t slow, but he’s not a burner either.
With miller/schneider/laf/shesty all due raises soon, rangers should be a bit cautious in allocating cap space on another wing long term.
I think whatever substantial cap is left over, they use it on the backend.

If they move Trouba and or Goodrow, things def get a bit easier.

I’m still confused what’s going to happen with Kakko. He might feel the same as necas and wants a bigger opportunity elsewhere, even if it means a rebuilding team…..
The ducks should be all over necas imo….
With Zergas and Mctavish in the middle,, they should start surrounding them with more talent on the wings then just terry

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, I think Necas will be a part of a larger Ehlers deal, but Drury should 100% be involved with getting Necas or Ehlers on the roster.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Necas could be nasty af
No, he really shouldn't. The last thing we need to do is spend big money on another winger.

Necas wants PP1 time. He isn't getting that here over the next 2 seasons, and he'll have to wait in line behind Laffy.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Good player. He should def shoot the puck more, but he’s solid and productive.
My main problem is he’s a winger that’s gonna get aid like a center imo.
I do think he’s the odd man out in Car. They just need the cap elsewhere and think they can replace him easier than some others.
Thought he was dangerous against us for sure….
However, I don’t know how much of that is system related/opposed to talent related.
If you believe reports from his father, he’s looking for top 6 min/ 1PP time. While he would certainly likely be a RW for kreids and zibby, he’s not unseating anyone on the PP. if fact he needs to get in line, we already have our 1 OA who shoots that needs 1 PP Time.
Not really a big proponent of paying necas 6.8-7.5 per( somewhere in there)
All zibby and kreds need is a good complementary wing. A guy that does the dirty work and can provide 20 or so goals and 40-50 pts. For the amount we’d have to trade, we can find someone cheaper and not pay the in division tax.
Go get a guy like zetterlund, cheaper to acquire and is a great young Swiss Army knife that’s still cheap contractually.

Then bring up Berard and have him kakko zetterlund see who finds the magic with the twins. Hell, I’d even try cuylle there tbh.
Roslovics speed has been the 1 glaring change from wheeler and even Kakko.
It gives that line a new dimension.
Necas isn’t slow, but he’s not a burner either.
With miller/schneider/laf/shesty all due raises soon, rangers should be a bit cautious in allocating cap space on another wing long term.
I think whatever substantial cap is left over, they use it on the backend.

If they move Trouba and or Goodrow, things def get a bit easier.

I’m still confused what’s going to happen with Kakko. He might feel the same as necas and wants a bigger opportunity elsewhere, even if it means a rebuilding team…..
The ducks should be all over necas imo….
With Zergas and Mctavish in the middle,, they should start surrounding them with more talent on the wings then just terry

Necas is one of the fastest skaters in the entire league

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
This is so dumb. It’s cool to hear but these guys are just making shit up.
Not really. This is a good negotiation.

Drury calls about the player he is interested in and let's JD know what he is willing to give up. JD discusses with his team and is willing to push the pick out to 2026 if the Rangers will go up a round to the 4th and add a condition for the ECF. Drury, liking that CBus will go out to 2026, is willing to do the 4th, but wants the SCF appearance. JD discusses and is down cause the he knows the Rangers have a shot.

That's not throwing shit at the wall, that how good trade negotiations work in pro sports. This was good for both teams.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Necas needs to go somewhere and be “the guy”. Carolina gave him PLENTY of chances to show that he could be that and could never consistently stick. He’s not going to come here on a discount, be happy on PP2 and to bounce around center and wing. He’ll be in the same trap Lafreniere/Kakko/Chytil etc got stuck in here and there will not be ROI on that deal. I could Necas going to a lottery team with first line guaranteed minutes and cooking from there/ will probably be happier that way

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
How about instead of settling for cup this yr, we speak the truth and admit failure to commit to/develop youth has been costly, excusing that just b'c we MIGHT be both good and lucky enuf to win this yr, was not correct play, b'c it has compromised our chances for max cup wins/max sized window

we can't expect Kreider to go superman every game when rest of the squad is falling a bit short

also, where is bread?
Looks gassed half the shifts the last 2 games

clubs' chances are best when they can win series asap = max recovery time

Just be happy man !

You can’t see the future aswell . Hartford is doing well too. They have kids on the way

Reactions: Kendo and Nickmo82

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

I'd look at Zuccarello.

Still a 60pt player.
Only $4.2 for 2x left.
RW
Defensively responsible
Wins board battles and feeds from down low.
Money player open net, assist dominant.
Older, but is far from cooked.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I'd look at Zuccarello.

Still a 60pt player.
Only $4.2 for 2x left.
RW
Defensively responsible
Wins board battles and feeds from down low.
Money player open net, assist dominant.
Older, but is far from cooked.
And also a person who absolutely was furious about being moved.
Also why do we continue to push re-treads. Over and over again, it’s ex rangers.
Let’s get Buch back, let’s get zucc back.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
It's more the Jets have had him for a decade and they still don't view him as a top guy on their team despite the rates. Somethings off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad