Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would usually say tossing more money at the backend is pointless since multiple retools and money dumped into that area have largely yielded nothing except a 100 point dynamic defenseman being turned into like... a worse Paul Martin. But with Reirden gone the idea of a change in philosophy is at least MORE feasible, now.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
PLD is better than Stephenson.
More talented maybe. Everything else, no. I'm good on a 7 year, $8.5 million marriage to one of the worst attitudes in pro hockey. Let Montreal make that mistake.

We need a guy like Stephenson for every aspect of his game excluding pure talent.

Reactions: Turin

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas has to change the narrative and get actual physical wingers and can bring more balance to the mix. Stephenson brings that to the Pens. This is what I am looking for from Dubas and Spezza. Move smith and get a couple wingers who bring juice and bang to help Sid and third line RW to play with physical presence. Really improve the 4th line as well. Poulin, a LW with bang and Acciari who can bring some grit has to be the mix here.

Reactions: wizmet12

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Being a complete leech who has no hands and can't do much of anything without Mark Stone?
Not sure what Stephenson is doing with Mark Stone that he can't do with Geno or Sid? And again, you're bringing him in for his 2-way game, not to replace Jake's hands. Ship off Smith and Jarry and there's still room to bring in an offense-first guy as well.

He'd bring a spark and scoring touch to Line 3 if we play him there. Or you put him with Malkin and Bunting. Could potentially push Geno to wing at some point.

Looks like he was a dud against the Stars but so were many of his teammates especially in the final 5 games. It was only a year prior he was scoring humongous goals in the SCF.

Oh and.....Let's face it, Sully's not going anywhere. Stephenson's a fit in Pittsburgh. I'll take him at 5 mil over PLD at 8.5 any day of the week

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not sure what Stephenson is doing with Mark Stone that he can't do with Geno or Sid? And again, you're bringing him in for his 2-way game, not to replace Jake's hands. Ship off Smith and Jarry and there's still room to bring in an offense-first guy as well.

He'd bring a spark and scoring touch to Line 3 if we play him there. Or you put him with Malkin and Bunting. Could potentially push Geno to wing at some point.

Looks like he was a dud against the Stars but so were many of his teammates especially in the final 5 games. It was only a year prior he was scoring humongous goals in the SCF.

Oh and.....Let's face it, Sully's not going anywhere. Stephenson's a fit in Pittsburgh. I'll take him at 5 mil over PLD at 8.5 any day of the week

I don't think he gets under 6 million.

I dunno. I just don't see it with him anymore.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Speaking for myself I don't see the appeal in either player as both were able to muster a whopping 16 goals each last season and this team needs hands worse than anything up front right now. Although there is a LOT they could use up front to be honest.

I get the idea of needing to take a chance in order to swing a guy that can actually make a real impact or get kinda lucky a la Kessel/EK. But I dunno... both guys being discussed look to me like the type that would come here and fall directly on their faces.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
rumor has it Vegas offered something in the 4s like 4.5 for 6 years.

We would have to offer lime 6 mill for 5 or 6 years. I do not think we should go for that.

I am not a fan of PLD but removing Graves salary and Carter coming off is basically a PLD salary.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Speaking for myself I don't see the appeal in either player as both were able to muster a whopping 16 goals each last season and this team needs hands worse than anything up front right now. Although there is a LOT they could use up front to be honest.

I get the idea of needing to take a chance in order to swing a guy that can actually make a real impact or get kinda lucky a la Kessel/EK. But I dunno... both guys being discussed look to me like the type that would come here and fall directly on their faces.

The appeal with PLD is he's 26 and has historically been a 25+ goal scorer that is very skilled at playmaking. He'd probably be a perfect winger for Sid or Malkin as they age out if he can find some consistency.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The appeal with PLD is he's 26 and has historically been a 25+ goal scorer that is very skilled at playmaking. He'd probably be a perfect winger for Sid or Malkin as they age out if he can find some consistency.

He won't bounce back at all with Sullivan at the helm. So it's pointless unless he is gone. PLD is worth a risk if you actually have someone to help him. Sully will turn him into an 8.5 mil anchor by next summer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He won't bounce back at all with Sullivan at the helm. So it's pointless unless he is gone. PLD is worth a risk if you actually have someone to help him. Sully will turn him into an 8.5 mil anchor by next summer.

I guess. Based on Mike Sullivan's previous usage of big salary players he'd probably get 1000 chances in the top six versus what happened in LA.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
1715101332106.png

1715101348451.png

Something of a realistic outlook for this summer that I could deal with...

Gives you a lot of players that are on one year deals that you can move at the deadline while also putting together a roster that "could" be competitive while spending little assets.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
View attachment 866493

View attachment 866494

Gives you a lot of players that are on one year deals that you can move at the deadline while also putting together a roster that "could" be competitive while spending little assets.

While I kinda like it. Pitch off Noel Accari instead of Eller and keep Eller to play 3rd/4th line C. I also believe Reilly Smith has to be moved. I would rather have a 3rd/4th liner that plays a tough game and some cap space to make a move if they are in the playoff hunt.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
While I kinda like it. Pitch off Noel Accari instead of Eller and keep Eller to play 3rd/4th line C. I also believe Reilly Smith has to be moved. I would rather have a 3rd/4th liner that plays a tough game and some cap space to make a move if they are in the playoff hunt.

Acciari has trade protection. I don't see him moving either.

I also don't see us moving Reilly Smith without retention or paying to move him. I'd rather just keep him and hope he bounces back. He's kind of an off and on player every season. I also don't really see any issue having him in a 3rd line role to help carry the line.

Adding Trenin provides what you asked. One of the best forecheckers in the league and willing to fight anyone (took out Chara a few years ago).

Ideally, I agree and would love to get out of a ton of contracts. I just don't see it happening.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I guess. Based on Mike Sullivan's previous usage of big salary players he'd probably get 1000 chances in the top six versus what happened in LA.

meh its more vet than money. PLD isnt old enough for that respect.

sullivan has no problem playing guys who make money down the line up. Rakell has spent a ton of time on the third line.

If sullivan doesnt like you he wont play you.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't understand the appeal in Trenin that others here have said. He had 17 points in 71 games this year and is seemingly a 4th liner on Colorado. Why would he be making $3 million to be a 3C?

I don't mind adding him, but not at that price or that role. He's not productive enough for that role.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Acciari has trade protection. I don't see him moving either.

I also don't see us moving Reilly Smith without retention or paying to move him. I'd rather just keep him and hope he bounces back. He's kind of an off and on player every season. I also don't really see any issue having him in a 3rd line role to help carry the line.

Adding Trenin provides what you asked. One of the best forecheckers in the league and willing to fight anyone (took out Chara a few years ago).

Ideally, I agree and would love to get out of a ton of contracts. I just don't see it happening.
How the hell does Acciari have trade protection? We just hand those out to 4th line players? That’s awful.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t really think St. Ivany even has much upside to even be worth the trouble in the first place. Unlike Poulin or Ponomarev. I think his maximum upside is a steady #7. He’s already 25.
I mean, if he's asking for a long or expensive deal, then don't bother, but I don't expect him to play hardball when he's an RFA with minimal experience. He's got no leverage, and all the incentive to just take a short-term low-money deal with a team where he'll get a good chance to make the NHL roster out of camp.

I just really don't want to bring in UFA veterans for the third pairing on the idea that if there are injuries they'll be moved up. The real problem is that the Pens don't really have any other right-handed defense prospects at the moment. Hopefully they can acquire some, either as undrafted/unsigned-draft-choice free agents, or via trade.

The team will never do this (at least, not when they aren't admitting they're in a rebuild), but I'd like to see the bottom pairing and the fourth line be mostly, if not entirely, young players. If they perform, then give them more minutes. But at least they can bring some youthful energy during their shifts, if nothing else. They should have motivation, as they ought to be out to prove themselves, as well as cheap, as they haven't yet made the NHL full-time yet.

I'm tired of multi-million dollar players at the bottom of the roster making it all-but-impossible to make improvements elsewhere... or even make it possible to call up promising prospects. It's a lot easier to bump out St. Ivany out of the lineup if he's regressing and someone else is taking WB/S by storm, after all.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't understand the appeal in Trenin that others here have said. He had 17 points in 71 games this year and is seemingly a 4th liner on Colorado. Why would he be making $3 million to be a 3C?

I don't mind adding him, but not at that price or that role. He's not productive enough for that role.

Ideally you're hoping one of Poulin, DOC or Ponomarev makes the jump. Cap is going up.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
View attachment 866493

View attachment 866494

I do like you making a roster that includes Smith, Jarry, and Graves.

We've all done a lot of theory crafting about how great it would be if any or all of those would be gone this off season but the truth is unless Dubas performs some wizardry it's very likely we'll be stuck with most or all of them starting next season.

So your roster feels at least realistic in that sense.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Every year this place comes up with all these super inspired, super ambitious ways to fix things and then July rolls around and the truth is we're gonna get some lame f*** like Reilly Smith and a handful of "why? what's the need for this guy?" moves like Nieto, Acciari and the like. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Every year this place comes up with all these super inspired, super ambitious ways to fix things and then July rolls around and the truth is we're gonna get some lame f*** like Reilly Smith and a handful of "why? what's the need for this guy?" moves like Nieto, Acciari and the like. :laugh:

yeah that was my logic with my roster lol.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hey man the off season is a time of hope. We will have plenty of time for dread to set in during August when we see what the roster looks like.

Give us a chance to dreaaaaam man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad