Proposal: Penguins-Leafs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Smith at 50% ($2.5 million for 1 year) and their 2024 2nd (pick #46)
Leafs trade Robertson's RFA rights

From the Penguins side, this aligns with Dubas' claim that the Guentzel trade in the off-season gives them ammo to add young NHLers to build for the future. Robertson was a Dubas pick when he was GM in Toronto and there is some speculation out there that he may be moved this off-season due to being unhappy with his usage.

The Leafs get Smith on a cheap 1 year deal, and I figure he'd be very enticing to them with his playoff track record (79 points in 106 playoff games) and a low AAV for 1 year. They also get a mid 2nd in the deal as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Leafs would take this pretty easily assuming they have a prospect at 46 they like.

I think you are both overvaluing Robertson and undervaluing Smith.

I may be overvaluing Robertson, but I don't see why. The dude has produced really well in limited minutes so far. I'd jump at the opportunity to get him for just a mid 2nd, he seems like he has progressed as well as any guy you'd realistically take in that spot.

I figure Smith at 50% probably has the value of a 2nd or 3rd, which would put Robertson's value at a 2nd and a 2nd/3rd. I wouldn't have any issues with paying that for Robertson, but maybe I'm missing some sort of issue he has.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I may be overvaluing Robertson, but I don't see why. The dude has produced really well in limited minutes so far. I'd jump at the opportunity to get him for just a mid 2nd, he seems like he has progressed as well as any guy you'd realistically take in that spot.

I figure Smith at 50% probably has the value of a 2nd or 3rd, which would put Robertson's value at a 2nd and a 2nd/3rd. I wouldn't have any issues with paying that for Robertson, but maybe I'm missing some sort of issue he has.
Fair enough. He's a natural goal scorer who gets lost in the defensive end and makes dumb decisions in the neutral zone with the puck.

Leafs never really gave him a real shot at a top 6 role, and he's too small to be effective in a checking role.

Reactions: wetcoast

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Robertson’s pace is not much worse than Smith’s despite playing approx. 5 less minutes per night. As a Leafs fan, I’d take the cost controlled, young player and bet that we can get a bit more production out of him next season.

The second round pick is nice but doesn’t do much for the team right now.

Reactions: MisterT

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I wouldn't do this is a Penguins fan.
Understandable.
I have a hard time stomaching a straight up 2nd for Nick Robertson.
Again understandable.
Also, I can't see Dubas and current Toronto management ever making a trade.
This aprt I don't get as the Leafs have Cowan and Minten coming up and the reality is that Robertson isn't really in their plans and probably not in any teams plans.

He is sort of caught in no mans land or like they say in baseball a AAAA type of player.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I feel like this is the kind of deal that "finishes off" an offseason, not starts it.

While yes, he's small, he did seemingly find his stride in the NHL this year. Obviously a lot is in flux on the Leafs right side, but if Marner goes, and let's say the Leafs acquire a #2C in the Marner deal, then there would probably be a really solid fit for a guy like Robertson, perhaps with JT and McMann or something like that.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I could see this being the basis of a deal but I think It's potentially bigger.

I could see either Jarnkork or Kampf involved too, because Kyle brought them both to Toronto.

Dubas is not a rebuild GM, so I think It's possible It's a bigger trade.

I think It's possible Dubas does something like

To Pittsburgh Calle Jarnkork

To Toronto Reilly Smith + a pick the pick is due to the fact he's dumping almost 3 million.

Or to Toronto Reilly Smith +?+?

To Pittsburgh Jarnkork and Kampf

Or to Toronto Reilly Smith + +

To Pittsburgh Jarnkork, Kampf and Robertson.

It might just be Robertson for Reilly Smith and a 2nd.

But I think if anything happens It's a bigger trade.

He doesn't really do small deals.

Although Reilly Smith isn't a small deal either

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Ledge And Dairy

Seems like a good deal for both sides. Robertson adds much needed youth to a Penguins roster and Smith adds cup winning experience (something they have none of) as well as a solid 2-way game. If Bert walks getting Smith at 2.5M would be an excellent replacement for the Matthews line. He's also a good PKer

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Seems like a good deal for both sides. Robertson adds much needed youth to a Penguins roster and Smith adds cup winning experience (something they have none of) as well as a solid 2-way game. If Bert walks getting Smith at 2.5M would be an excellent replacement for the Matthews line. He's also a good PKer
I'll retract my previous post, and suggest that this might actually be a quite well reasoned trade.

Assuming Marner goes, the Leafs would have the cap space to spend more on Smith at 50% than Robertson is likely to cost; and Smith probably a better fit to be a guy that bounces between a 2nd line and a 3rd line; along with bringing the experience; although I think the Leafs would probably prefer a future 2nd rounder to one in this year's draft class, just to maintain the currency.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Smith will bring more than this. A one-year vet with his pedigree is attractive to many teams who like adding a vet and not a contractually expensive commitment. Plus, I am not sure Dubas moves him anyway. If he does at say draft day, it will part of a bigger deal.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I don't know, Smith (with retention) plus a second feels like an overpay really.

Discounting his one year in pitt smith paced or put up 50 plus points in 5 of the six previous seasons, plus he's money in the playoffs.

I feel pretty positive you can unload smith at 50 percent for a second this offseason, given his track record, to some playoff aspiring team that looking to add production for pennies on the dollar.

plus you are giving up a 2nd on top of that for a player I just don't see Sullivan giving any more of a chance to than Robertson is getting in tor.

For a team like Toronto, who should absolutely be all in again next season and will spend every penny, getting a mid six winger that typically paces 50ish points, who can also pk, for cheap at around 2.5 mil holds value, I mean if you subtract the cost to re-sign Robertson you are basically upgrading to smith for like an extra 1.5-1.75 mil.

I think smith at 50 percent for Robertson straight up or smith retained plus a pick for Robinson and a lower pick is pretty fair.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Fair enough. He's a natural goal scorer who gets lost in the defensive end and makes dumb decisions in the neutral zone with the puck.

So what I hear is, he will screw up once and Sullivan will be bench him for six months to play some guy like Jansen effin Harkins instead.

Do not want to give up smith, a retention spot, and a second for him then.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I could see this being the basis of a deal but I think It's potentially bigger.

I could see either Jarnkork or Kampf involved too, because Kyle brought them both to Toronto.

Dubas is not a rebuild GM, so I think It's possible It's a bigger trade.

I think It's possible Dubas does something like

To Pittsburgh Calle Jarnkork

To Toronto Reilly Smith + a pick the pick is due to the fact he's dumping almost 3 million.

Or to Toronto Reilly Smith +?+?

To Pittsburgh Jarnkork and Kampf

Or to Toronto Reilly Smith + +

To Pittsburgh Jarnkork, Kampf and Robertson.

It might just be Robertson for Reilly Smith and a 2nd.

But I think if anything happens It's a bigger trade.

He doesn't really do small deals.

Although Reilly Smith isn't a small deal either
The +'s there in most won't be of anything of significant value. Janrkrok and Kampf are not impact values that garner much value.

But if you wanted to do something like Smith+Acciari for Robertson+Jarnkrok/Kampf, I would listen.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The +'s there in most won't be of anything of significant value. Janrkrok and Kampf are not impact values that garner much value.

But if you wanted to do something like Smith+Acciari for Robertson+Jarnkrok/Kampf, I would listen.

I'd take Accari back in a second

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I'd take this as a Leafs fan 100%

Robertson is a good pickup for the Pens though, he scored at a 20-goal pace with 3rd line usage

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll retract my previous post, and suggest that this might actually be a quite well reasoned trade.

Assuming Marner goes, the Leafs would have the cap space to spend more on Smith at 50% than Robertson is likely to cost; and Smith probably a better fit to be a guy that bounces between a 2nd line and a 3rd line; along with bringing the experience; although I think the Leafs would probably prefer a future 2nd rounder to one in this year's draft class, just to maintain the currency.

I'd have no issues with giving up a future 2nd either. I'm surprised at how lowly some seem to be valuing Robertson in here though, so maybe a mid 2nd plus Smith at 50% is a bit much.

At the same point, I feel like Robertson has progressed as well as any mid-2nd round guy you'd realistically take in that spot. Considering Crosby has a track record of succeeding with Robertson type of players (Guentzel and Sheary mainly), I don't see why the Penguins wouldn't be enticed with acquiring him to play with Crosby. I don't know that Robertson would be the next Guentzel, but I feel like he absolutely would have 25-30 goal potential on L1. And for a 2nd rounder and Smith at 50%, what's the issue there?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd have no issues with giving up a future 2nd either. I'm surprised at how lowly some seem to be valuing Robertson in here though, so maybe a mid 2nd plus Smith at 50% is a bit much.

At the same point, I feel like Robertson has progressed as well as any mid-2nd round guy you'd realistically take in that spot. Considering Crosby has a track record of succeeding with Robertson type of players (Guentzel and Sheary mainly), I don't see why the Penguins wouldn't be enticed with acquiring him to play with Crosby. I don't know that Robertson would be the next Guentzel, but I feel like he absolutely would have 25-30 goal potential on L1. And for a 2nd rounder and Smith at 50%, what's the issue there?
Robertson still commits a LOT of basic errors in the defensive zone, whether it be losing his man, not picking up the trailers, or being too fancy instead of a safe clear. I know people think I talk about it too much, but in this case you have to factor in the Sullivan factor. I simply can't see him giving Robertson prime minutes until he cuts out those "junior hockey" miscues away from the puck.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad