News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Re: Power Play - when it was most successful, the guys at the half-wall and the guys on both the right side and left side of the umbrella (usually Aho and/or Svech and/or Necas (or whomever), those guys would move toward the net as soon as they saw any sort of daylight. The defenders would either move forward to engage (in which case it usually opened a lane for another shooter) or they would have a lane to put a shot on net. We did that over and over again, from both sides.

As I watched during the playoffs we slowed down, were more deliberate, and quit moving toward the net....we always stayed outside unless we got it down low or sometimes to the half wall. In either case, it appeared we were trying to be too exacting and ended up missing out. Plus, we rarely had guys crashing the net.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm glad KK feels that way because quite honestly it's the truth. I'm still willing to give him an opportunity to bounce back but he really needs to work with someone this summer to help him try to develop a scoring touch, or something while he's still young.

Svech too for that matter. No reason he can't be a 90+ point scorer.

It'd be really nice if we could have a season where no one develops serious bugaboos when it comes to scoring goals. Team would be on fire.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

I don’t understand this mindset, take the time heal up and be ready for when the games actually matter. It’s like Burns and his Iron Man streak, take a rest old man you looked like dog shit in the playoffs.

Give me the 100%, well rested, healthy team going into the playoffs 10 times out of 10. I don’t give two shits about warrior mentality, how tough a guy is, or any of that nonsense. This isn’t the 80’s or even 90’s, playing through injuries in the regular season likely hurts your team more than it helps in the long run.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Trade this bum. Padding his personal regular season stats for salary and glory while the guys on the real championship teams know better to wait their miracle healing until the day one of the playoffs.
That recovery method only works when they're not on ELC contracts so that their team can abuse LTIR space. I thought that bit of medical science was common knowledge.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So Necas, Kotchetkov, Raanta and Martin didn’t have player exit interviews. The two latter goalies probably didn’t have much to be interviewed about, and I imagine neither are returning next year. Necas went straight to Worlds, so that explains some of it, though with rumors of his departure from the organization, it may have just been to avoid messy questions.

PK not doing an exit interview might just be because of his poor English. I hope that’s the reason, because it’d be real bad if he feels slighted or holds a grudge about his lack of playtime in the playoffs.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
While the twitter antics is not my cup of tea, I really DGAF. If some fans in NY don't like us because of the Canes Twitter is being obnoxious, it has zero impact on me and my fandom. If Fans in NY think negatively on our fanbase because of it, it has zero impact on me as most of them think negatively about us anyhow.
Yeah I mean out fanbase should probably grow up and sucker punch people in the parking lot instead of internet trolling

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So Necas, Kotchetkov, Raanta and Martin didn’t have player exit interviews. The two latter goalies probably didn’t have much to be interviewed about, and I imagine neither are returning next year. Necas went straight to Worlds, so that explains some of it, though with rumors of his departure from the organization, it may have just been to avoid messy questions.

PK not doing an exit interview might just be because of his poor English. I hope that’s the reason, because it’d be real bad if he feels slighted or holds a grudge about his lack of playtime in the playoffs.
PK, FA and Martin are under contract next season. Raanta likely gone

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t understand this mindset, take the time heal up and be ready for when the games actually matter. It’s like Burns and his Iron Man streak, take a rest old man you looked like dog shit in the playoffs.

Give me the 100%, well rested, healthy team going into the playoffs 10 times out of 10. I don’t give two shits about warrior mentality, how tough a guy is, or any of that nonsense. This isn’t the 80’s or even 90’s, playing through injuries in the regular season likely hurts your team more than it helps in the long run.
I understand the mindset completely. As a fan, we want players to take time to heal for when games matter. As a player in a contract year, they want to play so they can get paid.

Jarvis was coming off of a disappointing 14G, 39P season. He knows that how he produced during the regular season in 23-24 would dictate how much money he makes on his next contract. Missing months due to surgery and/or a long recovery would mean he takes a big hit on his earnings in his next contract. Even though as a fan, we would like him to sit and recover, if I was in his shoes, I'd do exactly the same thing and it worked out for him as he had a great year (even with the injury) and will get paid because of it.

As far as Burns, here is his TOI the last 3 seasons:

21-22: 2144
22-23: 1903
23-24: 1763

The Canes DID cut back his workload considerably.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

~51:00

Listening to the DFO Rundown segment on the Canes, it’s pretty interesting how many narratives about the team are out there.

- They lack gamebreaking offensive talent
- They’re sandpaper deficient
- The defensive zone structure needs to change (I don’t get this one at all)

Not mentioned on the pod, but very popular online:

- They haven’t won because of goaltending
- They need a 2C

Wild that the Canes have been as good as they’ve been with all of those flaws.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Listening to the DFO Rundown segment on the Canes, it’s pretty interesting how many narratives about the team are out there.

- They need a 2C

Those are things that matter much more over a small sample size against the best teams in the league where teams can learn your tendencies and adjust...aka the playoffs...vs spread out over the whole season where everyone just stick to "their game" rather than countering their ever-changing opponents

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

- They need a 2C

Old narrative: re O

Prior to this year, observations that our offense in later stage playoffs was weak were true.

However , they scored enough goals against the Rags/Sherty….it was special teams, team d and goaltending that killed them.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
We have guys that could be game-breaking talents, but they've never developed into such for whatever reasons. We have stars, just not "superstars"

Sadly one of these guys (Necas) will likely be elsewhere tearing it up next season. Maybe Jarvis becomes the guy?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
As much as it sucks to lose, it's worth mentioning how freaking random hockey can be. I feel like as a Canes fan we're constantly outplaying the other team, dominating over large sample sizes but losing over small ones. It's little comfort, but I do think it's worth noting how random this sport is. It's a game where one whistle, one bad play, one post hit can cause huge differences in the end result. It's not an excuse for losing, but it's worth noting that you may have the best team in hockey and still lose in a 7 game series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad