How do you feel about the Wild's top 4 going into next season?

How do you feel about the Wild's top 4 going into next season?

• 1 - Strongly Dislike

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - Dislike

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 3 - Meh

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • 4 - Like

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • 5 - Strongly Like

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Spurgeon

On a scale from 1-5 (5 being the best), how do you feel about the Wild's top 4? Do you want to see it be improved this offseason? Should the Wild consider trading any of them? Who would be a good target to improve this group?

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Spurgeon

On a scale from 1-5 (5 being the best), how do you feel about the Wild's top 4? Do you want to see it be improved this offseason? Should the Wild consider trading any of them? Who would be a good target to improve this group?
I wish there was an option, if Spurg can stay healthy. Between meh and like.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I voted 2. I really like Faber and Brodin, and I think it's a great pairing. The problem is the 2nd pairing. If I thought Spurgeon would be healthy at least 70 games of the year, I'd vote it a 3, but I don't expect that from him. He's only hit that mark 5 times in 14 seasons. Middleton shouldn't be in the top-4 already (or at least wouldn't be on most contenders), and then once Spurgeon is injured, we're effectively running a 3rd pairing as a 2nd pairing.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I could see it ranging from dislike to like depending on Spurgeon's play, ended up picking meh.

Would probably pick dislike if 3rd pair was included.

I voted 2. I really like Faber and Brodin, and I think it's a great pairing. The problem is the 2nd pairing. If I thought Spurgeon would be healthy at least 70 games of the year, I'd vote it a 3, but I don't expect that from him. He's only hit that mark 5 times in 14 seasons. Middleton shouldn't be in the top-4 already (or at least wouldn't be on most contenders), and then once Spurgeon is injured, we're effectively running a 3rd pairing as a 2nd pairing.

In fairness to Spurgeon, no Wild player hit 70 games in the covid shortened seasons. So it's either 5/12 or 7/14 depending on how you want to look at it.

Still not great odds, especially at his age.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I've not been 100% sold on Spurgeon for quite a while. I think he's mostly been pretty pedestrian in the playoffs when they've been in there. I honestly don't have any idea what he's like the in locker room, but there really isn't much to me that says 'Captain' about him. I think he was picked because he'd been here for the longest and there weren't many (probably any) better options. Now he's to the point where he's aging enough and can't stay healthy. I get this is more about the overall defense. I wouldn't call him 'the' weak link but I think the age thing, coupled with injuries outweigh the current defensive capabilities makes that 2nd pair pretty weak.

Reactions: NHL1674

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
my guess is spurgeon is on the decline and middleton while better than expected was always just a stop gap so we really need to focus on adding upto 3 top 4 D in the near future. not a crisis yet but will be soon. this is why im in favor of trading up should a very good D be available at #10. ps my vote would be 3 meh for next season however a 5 dislike for after cap h3ll is over.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I voted like. If Spurgeon gets hurt, or is somehow hobbled, that would change things, but you can say that of any player. I thought Middleton was fine for a #4, especially on a team that has a 15M cap penalty. He adds some toughness and physicality that we badly need. Realistically, you don't get a great Dman at the #4 position.

I am hoping that Hunt has a good summer and challenges for the #3 LHD spot.

Reactions: MK9

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Brodin had a very good season, finding the net often in the later part.
Faber was arguably the best rookie in the NHL.
Middleton is getting better, I think he can grow even more next season and he did had a bigger role this season because of Spurge missing.

Spurgeon coming back should mean our D is better next season. It remains to be seen if reality can match my fantasies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I voted 2 as well. I have Faber as a top tier #2 borderline #1 dman. After that, I'm less thrilled with Brodin and Spurgeon. Both seem to be good regular season players that are too soft for the playoffs. Them making up half of the top 4 is tough. Middleton is more of a #5 than a #4.

I think we need a quality 6'3"+ dman. Jiricek would be a great dman to target. We have an overabundance of prospects and should consolidate some of them into a quality player.

Reactions: BagHead

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'm thinking of Spurgeon as a big question mark for this upcoming season. No idea what to expect from him.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Prior to this season, he played 92.2% of games (342/371) over the past 5 seasons.

It’ll be interesting to see how he comes back from these injuries though. Do wish they had a better partner to play him with though; I think the 2LD spot is the biggest hole on the current roster.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Prior to this season, he played 92.2% of games (342/371) over the past 5 seasons.

It’ll be interesting to see how he comes back from these injuries though. Do wish they had a better partner to play him with though; I think the 2LD spot is the biggest hole on the current roster.
I'd probably go with 2nd line winger/top 6 winger.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'd probably go with 2nd line winger/top 6 winger.
It was between 2LW & 2LD for me. I think there’s enough in the prospect pool to fill the LW spot in the next 1-2 years though. I’m not confident any of the D prospects are going to be a 2LD within that same timeframe.

It’s also easier for a team to overcome an injury to a Top 6 winger than it is a Top 4 defenseman.

Preferably, they would’ve let Foligno walk this offseason & brought in a Top 6 winger. Would’ve left them enough money to try to find an upgrade to Middleton.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It was between 2LW & 2LD for me. I think there’s enough in the prospect pool to fill the LW spot in the next 1-2 years though. I’m not confident any of the D prospects are going to be a 2LD within that same timeframe.

It’s also easier for a team to overcome an injury to a Top 6 winger than it is a Top 4 defenseman.

Preferably, they would’ve let Foligno walk this offseason & brought in a Top 6 winger. Would’ve left them enough money to try to find an upgrade to Middleton.
Agreed.

I actually kind of like Middleton. Don’t think he’s worst #4 you could have.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's somewhere between meh and dislike. I'm more resigned to just being stuck with it is what it is with the way the roster is constructed.

Brodin and Faber are fine in the top 4.

Middleton and Bogo are a good 3rd pairing d-men who can play up if needed, but shouldn't be penciled into the top-4.

Spurgeon is a question mark after missing this year.

Bogo, Brodin, and Spurgeon all have problems staying healthy for a full season.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Voted for a "meh" because there are ways the team might win a couple games in the playoffs - basically, if the roster is healthy - but I cannot see them winning a round with the current defensive group.

Spurgeon has been such a stalwart for us for years, but he is just not built for the playoffs. Time and time again, that has been proven to us with how often he gets overwhelmed and beaten both physically and just game-wise. The only times he has ever been good in the playoffs was back when Suter could anchor the other side and hold things down physically, allowing Spurgeon to do what he does. Middleton is...fine in general, but he isn't prime Suter and doesn't allow Spurgeon to play his strengths. The team will not win while Spurgeon's partner is Middleton. It won't happen.

Faber and Brodin are both great, but we can all see Brodin is starting to slow down. We are very fortunate to have Faber being the driver of that pair because Brodin can't cover for a partner the way he used to. You can still put those two out against anyone in the league and they will do well, but they can't do everything. Need to improve the other pair. Have to.

The third pair is just not great. I'm not impressed with them but Chisholm and Bogo will certainly be better than what we have seen in recent years.

It would certainly be pretty damn nice to have someone in Iowa break out this season. Lambos, Hunt, Spacek - looking at you fellas. I don't want to write off anyone but ORourke is not looking like it'll happen, Masters isn't the type of defender the Wild need right now (nor does he look like he will get there, either), and Peart is going to be a first year pro. Never know, obviously, but I won't hold my breath.

Reactions: MK9 and Spurgeon

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Voted for a "meh" because there are ways the team might win a couple games in the playoffs - basically, if the roster is healthy - but I cannot see them winning a round with the current defensive group.

Spurgeon has been such a stalwart for us for years, but he is just not built for the playoffs. Time and time again, that has been proven to us with how often he gets overwhelmed and beaten both physically and just game-wise. The only times he has ever been good in the playoffs was back when Suter could anchor the other side and hold things down physically, allowing Spurgeon to do what he does. Middleton is...fine in general, but he isn't prime Suter and doesn't allow Spurgeon to play his strengths. The team will not win while Spurgeon's partner is Middleton. It won't happen.

Faber and Brodin are both great, but we can all see Brodin is starting to slow down. We are very fortunate to have Faber being the driver of that pair because Brodin can't cover for a partner the way he used to. You can still put those two out against anyone in the league and they will do well, but they can't do everything. Need to improve the other pair. Have to.

The third pair is just not great. I'm not impressed with them but Chisholm and Bogo will certainly be better than what we have seen in recent years.

It would certainly be pretty damn nice to have someone in Iowa break out this season. Lambos, Hunt, Spacek - looking at you fellas. I don't want to write off anyone but ORourke is not looking like it'll happen, Masters isn't the type of defender the Wild need right now (nor does he look like he will get there, either), and Peart is going to be a first year pro. Never know, obviously, but I won't hold my breath.
I don't agree, at all. Brodin looks faster and stronger than ever.

I think a lot of you overestimate how many good dmen are out there on teams. That's why Faber developing the way he has is such a massive win.

WE really need to have at least one of our D prospects turn into a legit top 4 D ASAP. Hunt, Peart, ROR, Spacek, whomever ... at least one, and another one at least as a 3rd pairing guy.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't agree, at all. Brodin looks faster and stronger than ever.

I think a lot of you overestimate how many good dmen are out there on teams. That's why Faber developing the way he has is such a massive win.

WE really need to have at least one of our D prospects turn into a legit top 4 D ASAP. Hunt, Peart, ROR, Spacek, whomever ... at least one, and another one at least as a 3rd pairing guy.
I don't think the Wild's D corps is terrible when fully healthy, I just think we've lost a lot of man-games from Spurgeon and Brodin in their careers so I don't expect it to be fully healthy and my grade reflects that. Even when Spurgeon was healthy this team sorely missed having the pre-Arizona Dumba on it. I think that says a lot about how good/bad the defense corps is. It's passable, but needs another actual top-4 defenseman. It might even be a good corps of they had one.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Voted: Meh

Spurgeon is an undersized Dman on the wrong side of 35. He has shown, when healthy, he is a damn good player... during the regular season. Even if he plays 82 next year, he still just gets physicalled all over the ice when the real hockey starts. Yes I expect to be back in the playoffs next year.

I do like Middleton. More of the stay at home type, but solid. Top4 if his partner is a good pmd, like Spurgeon.

Brodin-Faber have all the makings to be the (or at least a) premiere shut down pairing in the NHL.

The FabBros makes me want vote higher on the 'like' spectrum, but as it stands we are one injury from a pretty gross top4. I'm not 100% sold on a repeat Bogo performance when needed to fill in.

I think the effects of losing Dumba were/are greater than anyone realized. His leadership loss left a void and after last season I seriously question the mental fortitude of this team. Underestimate Matt Dumba at your own peril I guess.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Brodin Faber
Mids Spurgeon
Bogo Chisholm

That’s an above average group.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Voted: Meh

Spurgeon is an undersized Dman on the wrong side of 35. He has shown, when healthy, he is a damn good player... during the regular season. Even if he plays 82 next year, he still just gets physicalled all over the ice when the real hockey starts. Yes I expect to be back in the playoffs next year.

I do like Middleton. More of the stay at home type, but solid. Top4 if his partner is a good pmd, like Spurgeon.

Brodin-Faber have all the makings to be the (or at least a) premiere shut down pairing in the NHL.

The FabBros makes me want vote higher on the 'like' spectrum, but as it stands we are one injury from a pretty gross top4. I'm not 100% sold on a repeat Bogo performance when needed to fill in.

I think the effects of losing Dumba were/are greater than anyone realized. His leadership loss left a void and after last season I seriously question the mental fortitude of this team. Underestimate Matt Dumba at your own peril I guess.
I think you overestimate him. The Wild tried, multiple times, over a few seasons and couldn't trade him. And was by all rights a flop in Arizona. From there they had to package him with a low pick to just get a 5th from Tampa. 18 games, 5 points and a -5 there by regular seasons end. Then drops no points and -2 in the playoffs. I don't think the Wild missed out on anything not having him here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad