End of the Avalanche?

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Do they want Mittelstadt back? If so, at what price point do they say no?
I believe they do, he's been a good fit and plays well on both sides of the puck. Depends on term. I would say nothing over $4M AAV for a bridge deal, nothing over $6M AAV for a long term deal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I believe they do, he's been a good fit and plays well on both sides of the puck. Depends on term. I would say nothing over $4M AAV for a bridge deal, nothing over $6M AAV for a long term deal.
Listening to the Sabres fans, those numbers are not realistic. Part of the reason that he was moved was because they expected to have to pay much more, and were reluctant to do so with the Dhalin, Power, Cozens, and TT contracts, nvm Skinner.

Reactions: Fatass

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Listening to the Sabres fans, those numbers are not realistic. Part of the reason that he was moved was because they expected to have to pay much more, and were reluctant to do so with the Dhalin, Power, Cozens, and TT contracts, nvm Skinner.
Yikes. Well the Avs are going to need to work some magic. I don't think they find a better fit at 2C for cheaper than whatever Mitts is asking for. FWIW I think he's a great player and deserves a good contract, the Avs are just cap-strapped. I can't imagine them moving on from him unless he refuses to sign for a number that will work for the team, he fits well and they traded Byram for him.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
They have bad goaltending and ran into a team that was just better. Dallas has the best roster in the NHL. Completely stacked
I don't think Georgiev was the problem in that series, but they need a proven goalie to play with them, if they can afford one.

Reactions: MNRube

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
They need to restructure their front office and get rid of Sakic/MacF. Someone like Dean Lombardi will have them in the mix until Makar leaves for Calgary

Reactions: theMajor

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
The issue is, Bednar plays the hell out of the 1st line and 1st defensive pair. They were worn down in the playoffs. It was obvious. Get a halfway decent 2nd line after figuring out the Nuke and Landy situations, reduce the minutes of the elite players = possibly a longer playoff run.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
The issue is, Bednar plays the hell out of the 1st line and 1st defensive pair. They were worn down in the playoffs. It was obvious. Get a halfway decent 2nd line after figuring out the Nuke and Landy situations, reduce the minutes of the elite players = possibly a longer playoff run.
regardless of the roster, just play them less. Take more losses if necessary, they didn't have home ice once anyway. There's no reason the 1st PP unit should be 75% of each powerplay.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Started at the top. Ended up on the bottom. That's what happens with every avalanche. And the one in Colorado are no different.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Things change quick. don't be surprised when they snack nuke back and put him LTIR following reinstatement, then maybe put Landy on IR before trade deadlined given the knee will be sore requiring undetermined amount of R&R. Then bring in Crosby and activate the other two for Game 1

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
They'll compliance terminate Nichushkin's contract or he'll come back and probably perform well. If Landeskog comes back too they're instantly cup favorites. They have Ritchie and Gulyayev and whoever they draft this year that could all contribute soon. Prosvetov could potentially solve their goalie issue (though unlikely). They have lots of cap coming off the books and don't have to pay Nichushkin next year so they could easily make some moves in FA depending on who hits the market.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
No. They have cornerstone pieces in Makar and Nate. They need to address the secondary scoring issue with Landy and Nickushkin gone, and of course Goaltending.
I loved Drouin's bounce back year but I'd also be weary of signing him to any term beyond 2-3 years and over 4 mill

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Landeskog’s injury was the start of it all. Losing Kadri and other depth, not having draft picks develop, goaltending, and now the latest Nichuskin drama has closed the window in my opinion. The team has a lot of high end talent but no longer possess the depth needed to be a true contender. Dallas just showed that. The team will be good enough for the playoffs, but I think one more conference finals appearance is the ceiling unless some major re-tooling is made, which probably won’t happen with the the uncertainty of Nichuskin. If Ritchie can develop into a 2C, that would be huge for the Avs. We can’t develop players right now.
True. But the bad hockey karma that lead to Landeskog's IR issues started way before that. So you can say the Avs issues started with all the dirty head shots Landeskog threw in his career.

• Haha
Reactions: katfude

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Depends how badly we get screwed by the whole Val situation and if Landy is back. If the answer is very badly and no, Landy is not back then yeah, I think Avs are done, but if Val situation gets resolved and Landy is back, I think there is a chance Avs can win one more cup with this core

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
i dont think its the end for the Avalanche, but its the end for a few notable players at the very least. If I am the Avalanche, I do everything to find a replacement for Val Nuke and Landeskog, especially when one has been in the repair shop since 2022

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
experts are still saying they'll be contenders next year. And they're mostly right. Hardly the end for them.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I like how losing to a wagon like Dallas, the team that just ousted the fully reloaded reigning champs, is somehow this massive disappointment.

And blaming their top players for a lack of production (when they were nearly a point per game) is even more comical. That Dallas squad is so stingy, it's like they were built in a lab to be impossible to score against.

Heiskanen
Lundell
Tanev
Harley
Suter
Oettinger

That's such a stacked group. Suter is the only D in their top 5 under 6'2 and he's 6'1 200lbs. They've got a perfect blend veterans and youth, with the size, speed, skill, and reliability you need to win a cup.
- Arguably the best 2 way defenseman in the league
- Two of the best shutdown defenders in hockey
- A 6'4 mobile top pairing 2 way defenseman in Harley
- A potential Hall of Famer in Suter
- One of the best playoff goalies in the league (especially on low and mid danger chances, which is perfect because Dallas allows less high danger chances than anyone)

And they've got plenty of heavy forwards with tons of size. Stankoven is the only player on the team under 6'0, and Steele and Dadonov are the only other guys <6'1.

Take all that size and defensive prowess and add a defensive minded coach like Deboer, and it's surprising that Colorado even scored 15 goals in those 6 games. McDavid and Draisaitl are in for a really tough series.

There's no shame in losing to this Dallas squad. I think they are probably the odds on favorite to win it all.

Reactions: Voight and elmaco

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Damn, Landeskog, I remember when he was sidelined, I think he was supposed to come back late in the season. Didn't go as well as planned, I guess.

But yeah, having a guy like Landeskog in the lineup, given his style, would probably have helped a lot.

And yeah, the Avs need to figure what to do in both cases.

Now, is it a reason to blow the team up, lol no.
Wow, I did not realize he’s been out for THAT long. Time has been flying, but holy hell

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I mean I had them as the 2nd best western team and they'll likely be better next year.

Cores fine, tinker around the edges. They didn't even really go all in this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad