Management Don Sweeney

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I think a good part of the fan base understands they went all in last year at the deadline, and the results showed that it was the wrong move. Either the less is more would have been better, or there should have been other targets.

The GM is judged by the results. They weren’t good in the postseason.

He threw away all those assets to get only as far as he did the season prior.

He made the wrong calls and he’s being judged for it.
It’s such a hindsighted take though. That’s my point.

Unless you were genuinely pissed they went all in AT THE TDL then I guess I’ll give it to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: dangermike

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Unless you were genuinely pissed they went all in AT THE TDL…then I guess I’ll give it to you.

Fans aren’t plugged into the team, fans don’t have pro scouts they hired to do the due diligence, fans have zero clue what the alternative options were.

The GM has all that info.

Fans aren’t pro hockey team evaluators. They are allowed to be excited at the time and then realize it was the wrong move.

Reactions: EverettMike

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Fans aren’t plugged into the team, fans don’t have pro scouts they hired to do the due diligence, fans have zero clue what the alternative options were.

The GM has all that info.

Fans aren’t pro hockey team evaluators. They are allowed to be excited at the time and then realize it was the wrong move.
It is hindsight though. A bunch of teams every year make moves to improve the team, but only one of them is going to win. Did all those teams who dont end up winning make the wrong move in hindsight and the winning team made the right moves or is that just an oversimplified view of it?

Naw. But he's gonna be better next year than the 5 guys they're about to lose.
And he's a free agent next year if they care to bring him back. What's that gotta do with your post saying he signed 5 guys at the price of Bertuzzi? They had 5 spots to fill, what else you going to do.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
It is hindsight though. A bunch of teams every year make moves to improve the team, but only one of them is going to win. Did all those teams who dont end up winning make the wrong move in hindsight and the winning team made the right moves or is that just an oversimplified view of it?

And he's a free agent next year if they care to bring him back. What's that gotta do with your post saying he signed 5 guys at the price of Bertuzzi? They had 5 spots to fill, what else you going to do.

We're you here when they traded Hall and it was presumed because they had to open up the cap for Bertuzzi?

They couldn't sign him cause they didn't have the cap. We all understand that.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
We're you here when they traded Hall and it was presumed because they had to open up the cap for Bertuzzi?

They couldn't sign him cause they didn't have the cap. We all understand that.
Were you here when they traded Hall and could still barely fill their lineup with minimum contract players? Just because we presumed it was for cap to keep bertuzzi doesn't mean it was...

Reactions: GordonHowe

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Were you here when they traded Hall and could still barely fill their lineup with minimum contract players? Just because we presumed it was for cap to keep bertuzzi doesn't mean it was...

Is it not Sweeney fault that the Bruins had no cap?

I've asked this 6 times today to everyone who brings that up and not one person responded back with yes he's responsible for the construction of the team or no (insert why)

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

I've asked this 6 times today to everyone who brings that up and not one person responded back with yes he's responsible for the construction of the team or no (insert why)

Seems like some fans want to give him a pass because he “went for it” last year. But they also don’t want to hold him accountable for him “going for it” and still getting bounced in the first round

Reactions: Festy1986

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I really like Don, but it's hilarious to me all the accolades he got for this year when he was the one who created it. He sold out last year for a chance and they shit the bed, and it didn't work and came back this year and iced a good team but zero hopes of a title. All good. For me he's on the clock now building this new group of Bruins.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022

Unless you were genuinely pissed they went all in AT THE TDL…then I guess I’ll give it to you.
eeeeexactly - this year could have been so much better with the assets you gave up last yr (and the dead cap) but when they got bert, orlov, and hathaway, i thought boston was going to walk to the cup

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
I really like Don, but it's hilarious to me all the accolades he got for this year when he was the one who created it. He sold out last year for a chance and they shit the bed, and it didn't work and came back this year and iced a good team but zero hopes of a title. All good. For me he's on the clock now building this new group of Bruins.

I don't even blame him for going for it last year. No one will find a post from me calling for his job because he did a fantastic job last year.

The year before he should of been fired though. It was ridiculous they blamed their failures on Cassidy and while Cassidy had to go, they ALL had to go.

Sweeney hands were tied this year but that doesn't mean he is not to be held accountable for it.

He better of hired his last coach here. This is it. If it doesn't work you gotta go.

I'm fine with letting him go now but another year like this year then really what left is there to even debate?

Reactions: dangermike

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Yeah absolutely, he went for it and it backfired, putting him in this mess. He also took limited cap space and turned in an 109 point team that did better than the year previous. So if you're going to blame him for that you've also got to give credit for the guys he added that contributed this year.

Seems like some fans want to give him a pass because he “went for it” last year. But they also don’t want to hold him accountable for him “going for it” and still getting bounced in the first round
Does it not go both ways too? He put them in a mess but he also bridged this year pretty nicely, getting some youth inserted and some valuable playoff experience. Found a couple potential players moving forward in Brazeau and Wotherspoon as well.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I find it hilarious to read all these excuses that Sweeney had no cap space after he went for it last year.

Sweeney's obsession has been for years to hoard rubbish, overpay for it and give out NMT and NTC clauses to random players who have not proven anything.

Ullmark, signed with NMC, came without a single game in the playoffs under his belt, injury history, never played more than 37 games in a season during 6 years.
Forbort, signed with NTC as a bottom pair D, sucked in Winnipeg.
Foligno, signed with NMC and NTC over the hill and injured
Backes, signed with NMC and NTC, over the hill.
Coyle, signed with NMC and NTC, 3rd line center.
Lindholm, signed with NMC and NTC, next albatross contract in progress

How do you give these players even a limited NMC or NTC?
Either you cannot trade them when you want to (Ullmark) or if you can you need to package them with a 1st round pick or more assets.

Last night these guys were not on the ice:
Ullmark $5m
Grzelcyk $3.68M
Forbort $3m
Shattenkirk $1.05m
Reilly, bought out at $1.33m

That's $14m rotting on the sideline. Sure, you need some depth in case of injuries but none of the guys above were the case.
A back up goalie at $2-2.5m, a spare D and forward each at $1-1.25m. If our depth was at $4-5m we could have used $9m to sign 1C.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Yeah absolutely, he went for it and it backfired, putting him in this mess. He also took limited cap space and turned in an 109 point team that did better than the year previous. So if you're going to blame him for that you've also got to give credit for the guys he added that contributed this year.

Does it not go both ways too? He put them in a mess but he also bridged this year pretty nicely, getting some youth inserted and some valuable playoff experience. Found a couple potential players moving forward in Brazeau and Wotherspoon as well.

You have to give him credit for the goalies for sure.

I give Monty more credit for taking this roster and producing the results they got of it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You have to give him credit for the goalies for sure.

I give Monty more credit for taking this roster and producing the results they got of it.
And funny enough you go to the Monty thread and lots of people will put blame on him.

Let me ask you this question. What were your expectations going into last offseason? How bout going into the regular season? Were they exceeded?

What he does with the extra money this season will be huge. If he wastes it on guys at the level of Forbort and Reilly (outside of 1 year conteacts) again I will have zero faith in him going forward.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
And funny enough you go to the Monty thread and lots of people will put blame on him.

Let me ask you this question. What were your expectations going into last offseason? How bout going into the regular season? Were they exceeded?

What he does with the extra money this season will be huge. If he wastes it on guys at the level of Forbort and Reilly again I will have zero faith in him going forward.
Agreed, that's why to me he is a 100% safe and the clock will start ticking now. I happen to think he will do well, but we will see.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018

What he does with the extra money this season will be huge. If he wastes it on guys at the level of Forbort and Reilly (outside of 1 year conteacts) again I will have zero faith in him going forward.

I expected the team to be ass. My expectations for the team are far exceeded and again, that's on Monty. Imo.

What we've learned here is that food goaltending will carry you in the regular season.

So Sweeney gets credit for getting those guys on the roster.

But the forwards and centers he brought in performed exactly how I thought they would. Which wasn't very good. Not that that's a stretch. Everyone knew what they were.

Babajingo

And going for it, isn't an excuse for one of the lowest rank prospect pools (and that's with Lohrei in it)

People keep saying he has cap space. If he signs Swayman and maybe JDB, that doesn't exactly leave fort knox to play with. That's why trading Ullmark should be job#1. Also, every team gets the additional cap bump.
I don't hold him accountable for last year. That was mostly on the coach for keep Ullmark in the net when it was obvious he was hurt.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I expected the team to be ass. My expectations for the team are far exceeded and again, that's on Monty. Imo.

What we've learned here is that food goaltending will carry you in the regular season.

So Sweeney gets credit for getting those guys on the roster.

But the forwards and centers he brought in performed exactly how I thought they would. Which wasn't very good. Not that that's a stretch. Everyone knew what they were.

True, not everyone can have food goaltending.

And going for it, isn't an excuse for one of the lowest rank prospect pools (and that's with Lohrei in it)

People keep saying he has cap space. If he signs Swayman and maybe JDB, that doesn't exactly leave fort knox to play with. That's why trading Ullmark should be job#1. Also, every team gets the additional cap bump.
I don't hold him accountable for last year. That was mostly on the coach for keep Ullmark in the net when it was obvious he was hurt.

I think it is.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
They came out and said it was. Bert had just moved on by that point.

Reactions: JCRO

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I want Sweeney gone but I also said previously I think he has a leash until 2025-2026 offseason and still believe that. Hot seat, warm seat whatever you want to call it it’s toasty.

9 years and only made it out of the 2nd round once.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
You could have the 80s New York Islanders on this team and they won't win anything. The culture with the Bruins is the problem, until they fix it they'll never win a cup. Stop relying on past Bruins who also never won anything and get help from outside the organization.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think Sweeney is a very good negotiator and cap manager, and has done really well with what he's had. He went all in for last year and got screwed over by his coach and players. He may end up falling on the sword for that, though I think he's a very good GM.

He's been here ten years now, which is a long time for any organization. I could see them wanting a change in direction, but you know what? I'd look at Neely before Sweeney. He's the president, he sets the agenda. I'd cut him loose. Actually, bumping Sweens up to President of Hockey Ops and Gold to GM might be better for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad