Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
RFA with arbitration rights? I can see them not liking what money he is asking for. HE signed a SHOW ME deal and racked up back to back 20+ goal seasons

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sharks offer pick #14, Mario Ferraro and Filip Bystedt.
This would be fun, Sharks picked Bystedt with the Carolina 2022 1st that went to MTL as compensation for the Kotkaniemi offersheet.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't understand why the Canes would give KK a longterm contract when he never deserved it or proved he was worth it, and won't give Necas one after he has proved he's worth it and is deserving of it.

What exactly is the strategy here?
There probably was an understanding between CAR and Kotkaniemi that it Kotkaniemi signed the one year offer sheet then it would be followed up with a long-term contract. And when it was, the long-term contract was structured so that it wouldn't be painful to buy out during the early years in case it turned out to be not a good one, so Kotkaniemi would have to deserve it along the way and prove it by 25.

Reactions: Chan790 and Chrispy

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I’ve always been intrigued by Necas. You won’t notice him - good or bad - for most of the game, but then he’ll wow you with a nifty move or neat goal. I think he should sign with a team that can afford to give him the opportunity to play.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's the Fiala deal, basically. Two of Rosen, Kulich and Savoie won't make the team out of camp next year,. One of them should be dealt for a need. The sell-by date is approaching.

Necas isn’t a need. He’s a winger who contributes nothing outside of offense. The Sabres’ struggles aren’t because they lack players with that profile.

Also the Fiala trade looks horrible in hindsight, so not exactly a deal you want to replicate.

Reactions: Diaspora and dez

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's the Fiala deal, basically. Two of Rosen, Kulich and Savoie won't make the team out of camp next year,. One of them should be dealt for a need. The sell-by date is approaching.
Fiala odeal was a pick at around 20 and a decent prosprct.

11th OA >>>>20th or so OA

Necas is not what Buffalo needs. That's before you factor in the new contract/cap part of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diaspora

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
so, I read that Carolina would be looking for a 2C, and that Necas wants out because he wants to play C..what am I missing here? is he not good enough to be the long term 2C ?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
so, I read that Carolina would be looking for a 2C, and that Necas wants out because he wants to play C..what am I missing here? is he not good enough to be the long term 2C ?

A mid-20s transition to center is pretty dubious. Rod Brind’Amour knows the position; his opinion should carry weight and he’s never even experimented with it.

With that being said, Necas is going to play his fair share of center on the ice. He’ll swoop into his defensive zone and attack with speed. In 2024, it’s F3, not necessarily center high.

There’s just less flexibility in what you can surround him with. He needs a defensively responsible pivot for balance. He was at his best with Drury this season, regular and post.

I don’t think a wing driven line is a problem. Others see it as a big deal.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
A mid-20s transition to center is pretty dubious. Rod Brind’Amour knows the position; his opinion should carry weight and he’s never even experimented with it.

With that being said, Necas is going to play his fair share of center on the ice. He’ll swoop into his defensive zone and attack with speed. In 2024, it’s F3, not necessarily center high.

There’s just less flexibility in what you can surround him with. He needs a defensively responsible pivot for balance. He was at his best with Drury this season, regular and post.

I don’t think a wing driven line is a problem. Others see it as a big deal.
Gotcha!

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Is there a chance that the 'canes would let the guy walk away for nothing by not qualifying him?
No, you will not not qualify Necas for 1 x $3.5M. The only way that Canes won't tender him his QO is that they take him to club-elected arbitration instead, and that's not very likely either.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
That’s reserved for a potential arbitration award being north of what a team and the league generally is willing to pay. Looking at some of the comps in comparable situations (Fiala, Bratt, Reinhart), it’s the opposite here.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wouldnt give up too much. Only one "big" year under his belt and his cost controlled years are coming to an end.

Perhaps a mid to late first if he fills a need on a team looking to compete and to round out their top 6

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
If Brady Tkachuk can be pulled loose, what is the "blown away" ask from Ottawa with Necas attached? Canes pushed hard for Matthew but not enough. Wonder if they'd go outside their comfort zone to try and pry him from Ottawa.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If CAR can't afford him, how can MN with their 15M in cap penalties?
Minnesota is one situation where Necas's RFA status might match well:

Minnesota signs Necas to a 1 year bridge, lets him play C or 1W, and then signs him to a long-term deal next season when the cap penalties are largely gone.

Necas would actually fit well short-term and long-term for Minnesota in that situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad