Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Curious if we replace David Kampf with Oskar Sundqvist. Berube guy, one year older, one inch taller, 20 pounds heavier, $900K cheaper.

Oskar Sundqvist was just re-signed. I like him, though, and actually had him as an add-on to my Parayko trade proposals at the deadline lol

lets look at Matthews for example, the differences between his numbers in the regular season and in the playoffs...

Regular Season:
GP:562G:368A:281P:649

Playoffs:
GP:55G:23A:25P:48

why is that?

It's bad luck. Duh....

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
lets look at Matthews for example, the differences between his numbers in the regular season and in the playoffs...

Regular Season:
GP:562G:368A:281P:649

Playoffs:
GP:55G:23A:25P:48

why is that?

One reason is the quality of opponent is much higher in the playoffs...

I believe 50% of the series they've played in, it has been a Vezina winner, and virtually every series has been against a team who plays a very good defensive game or has a great goalie.

Not excusing the drop-off, but it isn't like the Leafs get to play LA every first round.

Reeves will get icetime from berube

Is there a history of him playing bad players if there is a better one?

Reaves proved he was serviceable last year, but I'd hope they would try to improve at 3RW and move Jarnkrok down to 4RW.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
One reason is the quality of opponent is much higher in the playoffs...
it's one good reason of many, and why the playoffs differentiate from the regular season.

let's ask Dekes...
There are some differences between regular season and playoff hockey, but the differences are not nearly enough to throw out relevant information.
is quality of opponent relevant in the playoffs? compared to... lets say... a game in October versus Buffalo?

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
It was a decision made when circumstances changed (ie. when Spreadsheet Dubious made a power play), that does not mean it was done on emotion or was rash.
It wasn’t done based off his track record because they were about to resign him, money is not a concern either. What would it be besides emotional and rash?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
It wasn’t done based off his track record because they were about to resign him, money is not a concern either. What would it be besides emotional and rash?
You and your boss agreed on a raise at work then last second you tried to pull a fast one asking for more money and better perks there’s a chance your work would say peace. It’s a shady move and tried to pull a fast one last second to get more out of them.

There decision was this isn’t the right person we thought we wanted to go forward with.

Reactions: myleafs

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Um, a rational decision not to let his power play succeed.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Firing the GM after wanting to extend him a day before.

That is a decision based on emotion and is rash.

Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan reveals why he fired GM Kyle Dubas

“The next day though, I would say while watching Kyle’s press [conference]… I think at that point, there was a dramatic shift in my thinking as I drove home that night as Kyle expressed, he may not want to be our GM and I have to take that very seriously," Shanahan continued."

lets bring back a gm who isn't even sure if he should be our gm... such confidence and accountability...

There weren't any good GM options last year either

we made the playoffs... if Dubas is such a good gm... why did Pittsburgh miss the playoffs?

Reactions: bax and Buds17

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
It took Treliving FIVE DAYS to trade Matthew Tkachuk to Florida after being informed the player wouldn't extend in Calgary.

A MONTH is an eternity in comparison - and in that month, they dangled Nylander for a Dman.

So this idea that Treliving was somehow "too new" on the job to make a trade, is ridiculous nonsense.
The draft and FA were also in his first month, not to mention both Matthews and Willy needed extension.
TRE trades Mitch before July 1st and both Willy and Matty have even more negotiations power.
No Mitch, Matthews and Willy refuse to sign and what is he left with?
You already know he offered Willy up and didnt get any offers worth what the team deemed value.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They were about to re-sign him..as GM...but...

POHO & GM in TOR (which wasn't happening) > POHO & GM in PIT > GM in TOR

Reactions: William Johnson

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm glad he wasn't brought back as GM look what he's doing in Pittsburgh, that Karlsson trade isn't looking good.

There is no young talent either currently on the roster or coming up in the system and the Pens don't have their 1st round pick this year thanks to the Karlsson trade.

Leafs farm system isn't great either but at least they have their 1st round pick this year, they have Easton Cowan coming up who looks like an absolute steal, Matthew Knies looks like he's going to be a gem, and yes Knies is a credit to Dubas.

Robertson may or may not be here next year we will see with him.

But regardless right now the Leafs MUCH better shape than what's going on in Pittsburgh

William Johnson

Jan 8, 2012
They were about to re-sign him..as GM...but...

POHO & GM in TOR (which wasn't happening) > POHO & GM in PIT > GM in TOR
I think this is a perceptive point and important not to forget when revisiting the transition last summer between GMs and therefore judging (or pre-judging as has been clearly the case among the small but increasingly frenzied handful of dedicated Dubas supporters) Treliving's hiring and first year on the job.

Speculation about Dubas' move to Pittsburgh was common in the media (and in here) well before the end of the season. When it happened, exactly nobody was surprised and a number of well-known journalists and pundits have stated their belief that Dubas engineered the move by forcing Shanahan's hand. I don't see any reason to not believe this account of what happened and, for me, all the pieces fit that sequence of events. Obviously we can't know for sure about what happened behind closed doors, but there is one thing we CAN know for sure and it is this: If WE heard about Dubas-to-Pittsburgh weeks before it happened, then certainly Shanahan knew about the speculation and would have questioned if there was any truth to it. He would have known a lot more than any of us here on this message board (needless to say, surely!) and more than even the most well-connected pundits. This knowledge -- that perhaps Dubas might want to move or that he wanted more money/term/power -- would have factored into his offer of a renewed contract for Dubas -- as GM only, as pointed out above -- and what that offer meant in terms of salary, term and the scope of the GM's powers. Shanahan is on the record as saying Dubas surprised him in his public statements at that notorious presser; he said he was also not expecting Dubas and his agent to come back a few days later with a different proposal (asking for more of something, obviously) and that this was part of the reason he fired him. Obviously, if you think Shanahan is lying, that's up to you.

I also think the silence on the matter from Dubas afterwards and to this date is telling; there has been no rebuttal against Shanahan's account of things, beyond some rather mild puff pieces by loyal journos in Toronto about how much Dubas would be missed by some unnamed MLSE employees. We're left, as far as I can tell, with just a few anonymous message board minions calling Shanahan 'rash' and 'emotional' without any supporting sources to back them up. I've heard some pundits say they think Shanahan acted to preserve his own position as President, which I can understand. But I don't think that behaviour even qualifies as ruthless, much less hysterical or hasty as some would have us believe.

As for Shanahan's relatively quick hiring of Treliving, I suspect he probably had him lined up as a possibility well before he fired Dubas. It would be irresponsible of Shanahan not to always have an eye on possible replacements. I'm hoping Treliving gets a decent return on a Marner trade at some point soon but that won't be the only factor in my judgement of his ongoing worth as our GM. I'm pleased with some of his moves and like his hiring of Berube as being the next step in a culture shift.

What I know for sure is that we only know a fraction of what happens behind closed doors at MLSE. I don't actually hold out that much hope for ever getting to the truth of the matter of Dubas' firing, to be honest, which is probably how it should be. Yes, these people are all making millions and they owe us some transparency as the fans who allow them to have such high-paying jobs, but they still have a right to some privacy.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Great job Brad.

The team took a step backwards. Less wins, fewer points, and out a round earlier. The coach who should have been fired last summer got an extension only to get fired a few months later.

Your first year couldn't have gone any better.

I'm really hoping this was a one step back two steps forward type situation. But that would require the team taking a step or two forward this year. I'm not convinced that's gonna happen if the coach is the only thing changed.

There are still sooooo many problems remaining with this team.

Soft entitled players who can't up their game when it matters most. A top heavy roster lacking depth, defense, and adequate goaltending. Along with a GM who thought it was a good idea to run it all back without making a single major change.

I'm all tingly inside thinking about the great job he's gonna do this year.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The draft and FA were also in his first month, not to mention both Matthews and Willy needed extension.
TRE trades Mitch before July 1st and both Willy and Matty have even more negotiations power.
No Mitch, Matthews and Willy refuse to sign and what is he left with?
You already know he offered Willy up and didnt get any offers worth what the team deemed value.
In January, Nylander signed the very same deal his camp asked for 6 months prior.

There's no such thing as "more negotiating power" - Treliving made zero in-roads, and he told us that himself.

He could have made that Marner trade last year - if they dangled Nylander and didn't like the return, all the more reason to pivot and dangle someone else to see if the return is different.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Calling all Dubasites who think Treliving has been terrible so far!!

Do you mind explaining this? Mental gymnastics is a must. Lol.

I think culture is a thing, but it is also overused by people who can't explain why teams win or lose.

I love when people point to MacKinnon as someone who holds players accountable and is making this great culture in Colorado and then can't explain why they keep losing in the 2nd round minus one year. Does their culture change year to year?

Do you mind explaining what is the culture Treliving made in Calgary and if you want it here?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think culture is a thing, but it is also overused by people who can't explain why teams win or lose.

I love when people point to MacKinnon as someone who holds players accountable and is making this great culture in Colorado and then can't explain why they keep losing in the 2nd round minus one year. Does their culture change year to year?

Do you mind explaining what is the culture Treliving made in Calgary and if you want it here?

Culture is accountability and trust.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm glad he wasn't brought back as GM look what he's doing in Pittsburgh, that Karlsson trade isn't looking good.

There is no young talent either currently on the roster or coming up in the system and the Pens don't have their 1st round pick this year thanks to the Karlsson trade.

Leafs farm system isn't great either but at least they have their 1st round pick this year, they have Easton Cowan coming up who looks like an absolute steal, Matthew Knies looks like he's going to be a gem, and yes Knies is a credit to Dubas.

Robertson may or may not be here next year we will see with him.

But regardless right now the Leafs MUCH better shape than what's going on in Pittsburgh
I don’t follow other teams but after reading this I did some research. It took Dubas 2 months to trade away another 1st, classic. Lol

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don’t follow other teams but after reading this I did some research. It took Dubas 2 months to trade away another 1st, classic. Lol
It’s just so perfect that a team in desperate need of a rebuild when he took the helm proceeds to trade away a first and take on one of the worst contracts in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad