Anton Lundell vs Elias Pettersson

Who would you rather have now and in the future?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
This is very close. i'd say it depends on team needs.

I'm a big fan of Petterson's playstyle, and expect him to bounce back. If you want a potential offensive top center, I'd pick Petterson. But for a team like Edmonton who already has the point producers, I'd pick the better two way player in Lundell.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Lundell has just started to play 2nd pp unit and his offensive results are gonna grow. Selke contender and +65 points or Everything between 50-90 points and zero defensive game.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Strong Hearts

Jun 15, 2021
At one point in time there was a real debate as to who the best player was from the 2017 draft, Pettersson or Makar.

Fast forward to 2022 and many people consider Makar to be a top 5 (or even top 3) player in the world, whereas Pettersson is being compared to Anton Lundell. How things have changed.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Should I drop Lucas Raymond for him in fantasy hockey?
I had the same consideration but ended up sticking with Raymond due to the consistent top line + 1st unit PP minutes. Lundell is hot rn but considering where he is on the depth chart I’d be surprised if it was sustainable

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Lol EP is all of a sudden a "zero defense" player. And people say that only Canadian hockeys fans overrate their rookies.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
EP is a good defensive forward. He won the Calder playing strong on both ends of the ice. People must have a short memory and forget just how good EPs first two seasons were.

I remember and he was offensively better than Lundell is now but what I meant is Lundell is like a leading defensive forward in the best team with the recent selke winner in the lineup. Lundell is not as good offensively as EP is, yet anyway.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Pettersson's offense in general is more nifty than Lundell's, but I like Lundell more as a whole package player. He's right up there on his team in SH ice time with Weegar and Ekblad as a rookie so far this season, whereas Petey had to beg his new coach to play him on the kill, in his fourth season.

Pettersson is also soft and fragile and there just seems to be something off with his attitude, IMO. I dunno anything about the guy to call him a diva, but when he first came into the league as a rookie he looked enthusiastic and on fire, but the last two seasons or so he's looked mentally checked out more often than not, like the pro game lifestyle and the public eye is wearing him down or something. After he scored two goals recently against Washington he got some mundane standard questions at a presser about his recent struggles and was visibly annoyed by it, and even complained about it verbally.

To be honest I've gotten some Michael Nylander vibes from Pettersson over the last two seasons and that's not a good thing.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The wierd thing is why did the bump take so long?

Lundell is going to be a very good player but HF Boards likes the flash and shiny object in the room.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
The wierd thing is why did the bump take so long?

Lundell is going to be a very good player but HF Boards likes the flash and shiny object in the room.
It goes other way around aswell. Pettersson was compared to league top 5-10 players after his rookie year. This year he has been showing signs of the early promises, but lesson learned it to wait until player actually reaches certain level for couple of seasons. Same goes with Lundell, he has done nothing yet to be compared to Pettersson. I don’t think Lundell is Pettersson level of talent.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It goes other round aswell. Pettersson was compared to league top 5-10 players after his rookie year. This year he has been showing signs of the early promises, but lesson learned it to wait until player actually reaches certain level for couple of seasons. Same goes with Lundell, he has done nothing yet to be compared to Pettersson. I don’t think Lundell he is that level of talent.
Lundell is also 3 years youngers and already ahs an impressive 2 way resume.

Look I really like EP and he is obviously more offensively talented than Lundell and does have a good 2 way game but to me Lundell can become a 2 way monster in his peak and prime.

Could go either way.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
As a Fin, i love Lundell but EP40 could have E.Kane like issues and the choice would still be obviously Pettersson. The edge in talent is so huge.
I always thought the funny part about saying if your team needed a 3rd line center you would take Lundell...no you always take EP you could trade for a better player if he didn't fit your needs for some silly reason.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
It goes other round aswell. Pettersson was compared to league top 5-10 players after his rookie year. This year he has been showing signs of the early promises, but lesson learned it to wait until player actually reaches certain level for couple of seasons. Same goes with Lundell, he has done nothing yet to be compared to Pettersson. I don’t think Lundell is Pettersson level of talent.
He’s going to be a top 5 player soon so that was warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad