Votes: 161 54.9%
  • Toews for now, Barkov going forward

Votes: 25 8.5%
  • Toews now and forever.

Votes: 107 36.5%

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Who is the better player? Consider everything. Peak, prime, etc.

Chose this comparison because at 28 (Barkov's current age) it was the last season that Toews was anywhere close to being a selke finalist, and it marked the end of his "prime" if you will.

Here's how they compare.

Barkov

Career stats from start of career to 28 year old season

20th in points
26th in Goals

Per game (minimum 100 GP)
22nd in PPG

Award placements

Selke: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 11, 17

Hart: 6, 16

Stat placements

PPG: 10, 10
Goals: 9
GPG: 8, 9

Toews

Stats from start of career to 28 years old.
15th in points
14th in Goals

Per game (minimum 100 games)
25th in PPG

Awards/award placement

1 Conn Smythe

Selke: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6

Hart: 4, 6, 10

Goals: 5
GPG: 5, 7

After 28

selke: 15, 15, 16

Last edited:
Reactions: Idiot Stick

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Toews was better and will end up with a better career.

People got so wound up over the stupid 100th anniversary thing that Toews actually became really underrated on here.

In his prime, he was close to a PPG center in a low-scoring era, and the linchpin of a dynasty.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
As a singular player likely Barkov but he won’t get the credit.

His offensive skills/vision are just elite and right now his defense is raising up to the same level.

Toews was better and will end up with a better career.

People got so wound up over the stupid 100th anniversary thing that Toews actually became really underrated on here.

In his prime, he was close to a PPG center in a low-scoring era, and the linchpin of a dynasty.

I never thought Toews had the offensive ability Barkov has.

The team around him was much better, their top4 on defense was just lights out and Kane was the offensive dynamo.

Barkov’s adv stats are just about as good this season as they could be for anyone. Just a total monster

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

The team around him was much better, their top4 on defense was just lights out and Kane was the offensive dynamo.

Barkov’s adv stats are just about as good this season as they could be for anyone. Just a total monster
Barkov's production for his career is similar to where Toews was in his prime, but Toews was basically playing in the DPE.

Scoring was higher in 2001 than it was in 2013.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I do think Barkov is the more talented player. Even adjusting for era, I don’t think Toews was as good offensively as Barkov in 18-19 and 21-22. But Barkov took longer to reach his peak, is more injury prone and has been less consistent, even defensively, year to year so far. His playoffs haven’t been as good either. At 28, I don’t see how Barkov can be ahead right now, but Toews’ poor aging gives Barkov a shot to have a better career. One game at their best though, and it’s close. I’d probably take Toews because of how he’s come through in big moments, but part of that is the opportunity afforded by good teams.

Last edited:

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Barkov is the better player, but Toews with the better career. Toews was a great player in his prime, but he had the luxury of Dave Bolland taking the hard match-ups during the first cup win and had a much better defensive corps than Barkov ever did.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Taking Toews here but talent wise probably Barkov. Toews got over hyped but was still a terrific player. Maybe Barkov hasn't lived up to his potential and Toews maxed his potential full out.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017

Can you imagine Barkov in this picture? Didn't think so.

I mean if someone posted the following photo and asked "Can you imagine Toews in this picture?" I'd say no too.

C3SLbj3WIAEtz-Nc.jpg

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Barkov's production for his career is similar to where Toews was in his prime, but Toews was basically playing in the DPE.

Scoring was higher in 2001 than it was in 2013.

I’m not talking about production, I’m talking about skill.

About everything in Barkovs offensive tool kit is absolute elite, did you ever say that about Toews?

Taking Toews here but talent wise probably Barkov. Toews got over hyped but was still a terrific player. Maybe Barkov hasn't lived up to his potential and Toews maxed his potential full out.
How hasn’t Barkov lived up to his potential?

He’s a 1x Selke winner on his way to winning his 2nd Selke

He has a career high of 96 points and a year where he scored 88 points in 67 games.

I’d say considering the questions of Florida picking him he has exceeded them.

Toews was just more hyped because of the team& city he played in.

Florida went to finals with Marc Staal in their top4 who should have been in the press box and without a true 1D. Chicago had the best top4 I can think of and Toews had a guy like Hossa on his line, support group with Kane, Saad, Sharp etc

Barkov- Hossa line would be unfair for the rest of the league

Last edited:

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

About everything in Barkovs offensive tool kit is absolute elite, did you ever say that about Toews?

He has a career high of 96 points and a year where he scored 88 points in 67 games.

Florida went to finals with Marc Staal in their top4 who should have been in the press box and without a true 1D. Chicago had the best top4 I can think of and Toews had a guy like Hossa on his line, support group with Kane, Saad, Sharp etc

Well considering skill I expected more from Barkov I did say skill wise it's him. He's no slouch and not a disappointment in any way just saying always felt Barkov should have put up even better numbers with his talent.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Laughable. Toews was a top center in his prime, which happened to overlap with the lowest GAA and highest SV%'s we've seen since the 1960's. Toews in his 20's playing in today's NHL would be putting up better numbers than Barkov. Barkov also has not once shown to put on a Conn Smythe worthy performance in the playoffs yet either.

Toews is a HoFer, Barkov most likely doesn't stand a chance.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
As a singular player likely Barkov but he won’t get the credit.

His offensive skills/vision are just elite and right now his defense is raising up to the same level.

Toews has statistically been the better goal scorer.

Toews is a HoFer, Barkov most likely doesn't stand a chance.
If Barkov is a selke finalist a couple more times in the years to come he definitely has a chance.

He has already won 1, and that was while being a top 10 offensive player in the league (10th in PPG).

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Toews now and forever, pretty clearly.

Barkov hasnt reached Toews’ peak, and he’s not likely to get better as he crests 30.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Stylistically there are similarities, but I wouldn’t even put Barkov on the level of Toews so there’s no way he’s as good as Datsyuk
Barkov's maybe best player this season in NHL in overall two way hockey he is much better than his points tell and much 3rd assists still he is regularly 90 point levelish.. And peak seasons 100+ point pace. Maybe bit lesser offensively than Datsyuk but i would say Barkovs better defensively.Barkov is so resposinble defensively if he would play concenctrate on offense like lets say Jack Hughes or Auston Matthews he would get 120 points per 82.

Reactions: teugen

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Barkov is more skilled and a better individual player; Toews is far more accomplished and clutch. Very different kinks in their games: Barkov was probably too tepid offensively to begin his career.

Where I struggle the most is thinking about their relationship with their teammates. I think you could argue that both made the stars around them better...see Tkachuk and Kane. As a Florida fan, I'm only beginning to recognize the extent that Huberdeau and Tkachuk's success is due to Barkov (despite both of them frequently saying it); the same is likely true with Toews but it is more difficult. (Would anyone say that Toews was better than Kane?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad