• Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.7%

• Total voters

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
People need to put respect on Grants name. I get it, he’s a dick. But absolutely has called a bunch of our picks, going way way back. I remember butting heads with him over McCarron. McCarron was a complete unknown until Grant started talking about him and called that we’d take him. That to me was all the proof I needed that he had serious contacts within the organization.
Grant doesn’t deserve any respect

f*** that guy

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
People need to put respect on Grants name. I get it, he’s a dick. But absolutely has called a bunch of our picks, going way way back. I remember butting heads with him over McCarron. McCarron was a complete unknown until Grant started talking about him and called that we’d take him. That to me was all the proof I needed that he had serious contacts within the organization.
I don't think anyone doubts that he has connections.

He's a douche and an atrocious evaluator of talent though.

Reactions: Runner77

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He couldn’t stand getting challenged when he posted here and treated people like absolute garbage. He’s better off spewing his vitriol on random Twitter users than doing it here.
With Grant you need to separate the person they are from the information they provide.

Grant is a whiney jerk and arguably he isn't even a good scout. Despite this, he is very very good at knowing who the Habs will pick.

He has been involved in scouting forever, goes to a ton of games, talks to a ton of scouts, is friends with Bob McKenzie and Trevor Timmins, and has called the Habs 1st round picks months in advance multiple times.

PS It was hilarious watching the live mock draft he did, when he got to the Flames pick he got super salty and almost threw a tantrum because the co-host spoiled the Iginla pick, not sure how much longer the young guy will be able to stand him

Reactions: bopeep

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
How about Dean Letourneau with Winnipeg’s pick.
Even if he turns out to be a 4th line player. Guy is 6’7” and will be over 230 pounds.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Well reading the last few pages, let's hope Chicago values these defensemen as much as you guys do, because that's all it really boils down to.

If Chicago doesn't pick Demidov and picks a D, then we likely have our pickings of Demidov and Lindstrom and if we leave the draft with one these 2 we're most likely laughing all the way to the bank.
Maybe. The forwards are fine, no problem, but some of the D look special. I don’t think Reinbacher comes into it, he should be good, the question is whether it’s worth losing one of the habs lesser D to draft a high end D. Reinbacher stays, it’s more “is Buium minus a depth D better or worse than Iginla/Lindstrom?”

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It’s simple to see that the difference between Guhle, Reinbacher, Mailloux vs Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson is not even close to being greater than the difference between Mesar, Beck, Roy vs Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla.
Is that the deciding factor? At 5OA you want to get one of the 4-5 players who will drive the team and make everyone else better. Once the habs have those key guys they can sign some middle six forwards and go with who they have on D.

The overall team might be better next year if they take a forward but does it make sense longer term?

Suzuki is a key piece. They’re hoping some of Reinbacher, Guhle, Dach, and Caufield can be. If they take Buium they probably lose one of their lower ranked D and they have to find ice time for Guhle and him. No overlap at all if they take a forward, no ice time issues, no lost players. Is Buium or Dickinson or whoever that much better?

I suspect at least one of them will be, but we’ll see. Five years from now it will be pretty clear and everyone on this board will be saying “of course I wanted Parekh” or whatever.

Edit: left out Slaf.

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't think anyone doubts that he has connections.

He's a douche and an atrocious evaluator of talent though.
Atrocious is harsh, he’s pretty mediocre though I’d say, but actually knows how to do it which most posters here can’t say as much as they might think they can. Scouting isn’t just watching players and looking at stats and coming up with a general ranking. It’s about evaluating traits which few here ever even talk about.

Reactions: Addik04

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Respect? For an influencer? He's not a scout, and we're forum posters. He ain't getting respect in here, when even scouts don't get it.

Reactions: Michelangelo

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Respect? For an influencer? He's not a scout, and we're forum posters. He ain't getting respect in here, when even scouts don't get it.

Yeah, he doesn't deserve any respect. He's pretty childish and the way he goes about knocking players like Wright down were uncalled for and really just off-putting.

Now, people shouldn't just dismiss any of his takes because most of the time, he's getting it from the connections he does have. But we also have to consider that he's not right all the time either.. he thought for sure we were taking McLeod.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Who else has Ice level seats with Tony Marinaro and Walter White? The man is connected with the Italians & the cartel.

Put rispek on his name

1000000712.jpg

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I get a bit confused on the draft a #1 defenseman because we don't have one in the pipeline comments. If you draft one at 5 you are still in the same boat just like last year with Reinbacher. It's a hope that the draft pick becomes a #1 defenseman. I believe Montreal has the defensive prospects to compete in the playoffs down the road. You need a big solid d-core that can move the puck and I think they will achieve this with this prospect pool. Also the idea of drafting another defense just to trade a defensive prospect I struggle with as well.

First you are re-cycling the rebuild and pushing competing further down the road.
Second there is no guarantee you are getting proper value in that trade. Montreal is already going to have issues with getting players proper ice/ development time going forward and eventually have to deal with waiver issues when players taking longer to develop because of the lack of ice time.
Doesn't look like you would be trading from a position of strength and your trading partners are going to be limited. Contending teams are likely out and maybe division teams who don't want to risk it.
To top it off these type of trades rarely happen. Just my two cents on the discussion.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
2 spots ahead of Kulich and 5 spots ahead of Lambert. Mesar was just not a very strong pick.

I mean it wasn't a bad pick at the time. I remember a lot of us wanted Kulich but were ok with picking Mesar as he was a good prospect too. Showed a lot of skill.

For an organization that seems to pride itself on players personality etc, the issue with me lies more in the fact that this prospect hasn't seemed to "want" to get better. He still has the same bad habits and lack of strength and other weaknesses he had when we drafted him. He has all the tools to become a great player, but you can't force a player to put in the work needed to achieve it.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
There are other interesting dmen later in the draft also. Freij & Solberg (just started hearing about him) as the few I need watch, then Jiricek who might drop to WPG's first. There is no need to stretch the qualities of this D class just to pick a D at #5, or even trade down for that matter.

I hope they pick the BFF (best fitting forward) for their club, period. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad