2024-2025 AUS Thread

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I always look forward to see what the out of conference exhibition games will be. Will we finally see the AUS play the NCAA again?
Those early October games will be less likely now due to NCAA rule changes. As summer progresses I like the anticipation of inter-conference matchups.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Those early October games will be less likely now due to NCAA rule changes. As summer progresses I like the anticipation of inter-conference matchups.

McGill is the most frequent visitor to the AUS. I expect the Ottawa Gee-Gees to come out here to play UNB as they are the UCup hosts this year. The Reds also played them in Ottawa last September.

Looks like the only way they can play against the NCAA would be over the Xmas break.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UQTR used to be a regular visitor to UNB and UdeM, but that stopped once they began their annual roadtrips to play against pro teams in France.

It would be nice to see the OUA visitors make a few more stops on their roadtrips. What would probably help is if AUS hosts got back to hosting 4-team tourneys, where everyone is guaranteed two games. But of course you need fans to show up to make the dollars work.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UQTR used to be a regular visitor to UNB and UdeM, but that stopped once they began their annual roadtrips to play against pro teams in France.

It would be nice to see the OUA visitors make a few more stops on their roadtrips. What would probably help is if AUS hosts got back to hosting 4-team tourneys, where everyone is guaranteed two games. But of course you need fans to show up to make the dollars work.
I think teams, like UNB and UdeM, could host something - not sure how. Maybe UNB/UdeM on Wed (some place neutral), two teams come down for the weekend, one team plays UNB the other UdeM - then swap and then some sort of finals on day-3?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Those early October games will be less likely now due to NCAA rule changes.
The potential CHL/NCAA rules or are there new competition rules?

The weekend of Sept 30/Oct. 1st remains open. The biggest challenge is NCAA teams book their opponents really early and if you don't have a game scheduled - it gets harder throughout the summer to arrange one.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The potential CHL/NCAA rules or are there new competition rules?

The weekend of Sept 30/Oct. 1st remains open. The biggest challenge is NCAA teams book their opponents really early and if you don't have a game scheduled - it gets harder throughout the summer to arrange one.
Didn’t the NCAA move the start date for men’s hockey a few years ago? Can’t remember if they start earlier or later now. Regardless, that change coupled with the AUS rule of not allowing exhibition games after the regular season begins has really hampered the ability to schedule games.

Honestly - and I’m probably in the minority here - I don’t really miss the NCAA games at all.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I figured the reason UQTR stopped coming here was because of the accusations made by Hubert regarding UNB and Francis Beauvillier.

Reactions: Drummer and Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I figured the reason UQTR stopped coming here was because of the accusations made by Hubert regarding UNB and Francis Beauvillier.
Yes, I believe you are right. Considering it has been over a decade now I'm prepared to let bygones be bygones. UQTR are the best to in the OUA and the closest of any out of conference team. It just makes sense to play them.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yes, I believe you are right. Considering it has been over a decade now I'm prepared to let bygones be bygones. UQTR are the best to in the OUA and the closest of any out of conference team. It just makes sense to play them.
I asked the UQTR coach two years ago. He said their annual roadtrip to France meant they would no longer travel to the Maritimes in the preseason.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I see that last year the NCAA season did not officially start until Fri. Oct. 6th, so unless someone wants to start late (eg. UVM played McGill on the 7th and then started NCAA games on the 14th) it's really not possible for AUS teams to go south as both seasons start on the same weekend.

It would have to be a Christmas thing - not sure anyone has any interest in that. I'd like it, but it's expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad