2023-24 Roster Thread #9: Spring time is upon us

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Missed Playoffs? Check.
Missed out on Top 10 Pick? Check.
Disgruntled Skilled Players? Check.
Highest Salary going into 2024-2025 season? Check.

Danny, Keith, and Spiritual Leader are doing a bang up job so far!
I can deal with not making the POs. Didn’t expect them to do that. Not enough talent.
Picking 12th is not that bad. It’s at the edge of the second tier of talent in this draft. They’ll get a decent player there.
Every team has disgruntled players. Usually it’s over PT. Unfortunately with this club it’s because of being handled in an insulting manner by a jerk of a coach who should have been reined in by the FO and fired for his antics. With this FO accountability is only for the players.
The salary situation is probably the worst sin committed by the club over the last decade. It throws money away worse than any other club in the game. They’re blowing over $20M on Ellis, RyJo, Peterson, Atkinson, Hayes and TDA. That’s gross mismanagement.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I can deal with not making the POs. Didn’t expect them to do that. Not enough talent.
Picking 12th is not that bad. It’s at the edge of the second tier of talent in this draft. They’ll get a decent player there.
Every team has disgruntled players. Usually it’s over PT. Unfortunately with this club it’s because of being handled in an insulting manner by a jerk of a coach who should have been reined in by the FO and fired for his antics. With this FO accountability is only for the players.
The salary situation is probably the worst sin committed by the club over the last decade. It throws money away worse than any other club in the game. They’re blowing over $20M on Ellis, RyJo, Peterson, Atkinson, Hayes and TDA. That’s gross mismanagement.
nah..that's the Flyers way

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Reportedly Carolina isn’t going to resign RFA* Martin Necas and may also trade Brett Pesce’s signing rights away (UFA July 1st).

Wonder if the mad scientist Danny Briere could work out a deal with the Hurricanes for Necas and Pesce in a player for player hockey trade.

Flyers need help down the middle and Necas has been willing to play at center but has played exclusively at RW with the Canes.

Problem lays with adding salary to the Flyers maxed out cap already for the 24/25 season but placing Ellis and RyJo’s cap hits on LTIR gives the Flyers room to make an addition or two in the offseason.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Where are the Flyers with RyJo’s “injury”? Is it more than Tortorellaitis? The club can’t buy out RyJo according to the CBA. Briere may have bought more of a problem with Johansson than he thought.
Briere said that he doesn’t believe Ryan Johansen will ever play hockey with the Flyers due to injury.

Johansen will most likely end up on IR or LTIR for the 2024-25 season.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Briere said that he doesn’t believe Ryan Johansen will ever play hockey with the Flyers due to injury.

Johansen will most likely end up on IR or LTIR for the 2024-25 season.
played in every avs game to now not able to ever play.

it was also said ryjo wanted to make it work and the flyers said no. then the "injury" appears.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
So there's nothing definitive with Johansen. I've read stuff regarding Tortorella and him. It's not a pretty sight with people talking behind other's back and the like. Then one can go back to Tortorella and LeCavalier and it was another mess. That was so bad that when the Lightning won the Cup, they cut Tortorella out of the victory celebration that night. In NY, with the Rangers, he sat Richards in the final game of a seven game match and lost. That got him canned with the Rags. There's something weird going on here with Tortorella and the team's top player. If it happens once, that's one thing and maybe the player is the blame. When it happens twice it bears looking into. Now that it's happened a fourth time with Couturier, it's a very disturbing pattern.
I really fear that if Michkov comes over here, Tortorella will gut him like he seems to have done with others. I really don't want him around here any more. He's too confrontational for a team with young players that need to be developed on and off of the ice. His act of accountability for others but never himself just isn't acceptable.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
So they possibly get the focal point of the "rebuild" early, but they now need to hope that a 1C just pops into existence to pair with a "healthy" Couts?

Oy vey

Those Stamkos to the Flyers rumors from a decade ago are about to come true

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Maybe they target Tarasenko on a one year deal to help Michkov along? Get a pick at the deadline as well

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Maybe they target Tarasenko on a one year deal to help Michkov along? Get a pick at the deadline as well
The thing is that he is on a really good team, gets Florida tax bump and with possibility of Reinhart leaving in free agency Cats might just hold onto him.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
How would everyone feel about Konecny for Buchnevich? Similar cap hit, both pending UFAs, and helps the logjam at RW.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
How high of a pick do you think we could get for TK (including adds like the FLA pick or equivalents). They never even began the rebuild but doing that and walking out of this draft with a center and a defenseman and you actually have the foundation of young emerging team assuming you hit on those picks.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How high of a pick do you think we could get for TK (including adds like the FLA pick or equivalents). They never even began the rebuild but doing that and walking out of this draft with a center and a defenseman and you actually have the foundation of young emerging team assuming you hit on those picks.

I'm not sure which teams would say yes, but the cutoff for me is a lottery pick; anything lower isn't worth it. Looking at the lottery, I could see Utah, Ottawa, New Jersey, Buffalo, and Minnesota being willing to move off their pick for a player in their prime; Utah to help flesh out the team in their inaugural year, the other four because they have designs on the playoffs.

Obviously, you go for the highest pick you can get, but I'd probably start with them and see what shakes loose, if I were DB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad