Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
100% - but Jets are trapped with Lowry as 3C... guy is heart and soul but he's an anchor for Lambert or Chib.... then he also turns Barlow or McGro into career 3rd liners... maybe Barron-Lowry-Chib works but the team is married to Iafallo and Apples... gotta be a crazy dynamic in that room

Im the Barron version of your Perfetti fandom... I just see TNSE going down EXACTLY the same road they went with Copp and developing a solid player only to take him to arbitration this year to save a fkn pittance - and alienate him from the org... then basically bury him.

I think stuff like that gets around the league far more than signing or not signing guys... arbitration should be avoided at all costs when you're developing a guy. Jets seem fine with it

Save $50 to lose $500...
Dont like the word "trapped" for Lowry. As you said, he is a heart and soul player on the Jets. One could argue that our coaching has been inordinately fixated with certain pairings over the years:

Connor - Scheifele
Lowry - Appleton

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Dont like the word "trapped" for Lowry. As you said, he is a heart and soul player on the Jets. One could argue that our coaching has been inordinately fixated with certain pairings over the years:

Connor - Scheifele
Lowry - Appleton
Add copp-lowry to that list... trapped with a checking line - I say trapped because lowry is heart and soul so we can't move away from him but his line is really one dimensional - as we are seeing more and more shutdown lines also need teeth

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's fair. But how much value to teams put into those round picks.

Fair points but I just don't see how you win a cup without bolstering your lineup going into the playoffs. Pretty much every team did it and there would have been outrage had we done nothing.

Rangers gave up
a 4th (potential 3rd)
4th
2nd
4th (potential 3rd)

Dallas gave up
4th
2nd
Conditional 3rd

Edmonton gave up
1st
4th
4th
5th

Florida gave up:
3rd
4th (potential 3rd)

Plus all the other teams no longer in the playoffs that gave up top picks. Just don't see how you expect to win the cup without filling holes and improving the roster. We were a top 5 team in the league, showed times of absolute dominance. I honestly don't know how you don't take a gamble and go for it, especially the prices we paid. We go to the finals or win the cup, I wonder if the mindset changes about giving up picks to improve the roster.

This year was a perfect storm of justification for buying at the deadline. It didn't work out.

But, in general, if you spend those same assets over time to acquire players with term, who fit team needs, you will have fewer holes to plug at the deadline. In fact I could make the argument that that is how the Jets created this year's perfect storm. If they had acquired fewer rentals in the past and more players with term then this year's PO might have worked out better. With or without the rentals.

The argument that everyone else is doing it doesn't stand up to examination. If everyone else is jumping off a bridge do you think it is a good idea to jump off a bridge? The TD is the time when futures have the lowest value. Trade them when their value is higher and get assets with term.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t expect to win a cup with this core anymore that’s the biggest piece.

Here is my exception to this. If we want to buy in to what I think is the fools gold fine with one condition. We need to have the ledger balance out over time. In the years where we miss the playoffs we sell off hard to get back similar draft capital.

For the most part over time I think we have done a reasonable job with this.

In a perfect situation we trade for assets to (maybe) help for a playoff run but we get them with an extra year or extend them if they fit in.

I get that teams all “load up” I’m just not sold it helps as much as most people think. I think it can f*** over guys that got the team there and disrupt team chemistry at times. I realize I am alone in this one lol. In a market like Winnipeg where it’s tough to attract free agents I would like to be a bit more strategic.

I've been banging on that drum for 10 years. You certainly are not alone.

Picks, prospects, players and cap space are all assets. Winnipeg needs to maximize the value of all of those assets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we have only had two real graduates from the 2nd and 3rd round in all of jets 2.0 history.. Lowry and samberg

Yup. That's not performance.

And we have graduated precisely 1 player from the last 6 drafts so far. The last couple of draft classes show promise, but nothing has actually happened yet.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if the Jets can't find a 2C in trade, i wouldnt' be mad with Names back there. prior to Monahan's acquisition, Names+2nd line was performing just fine, and monahan decided to do Halloween in April turning into a Playoff Ghost. It pains to see the Jets over the years give up multiple 1sts (Stastny, Hayes, Monahan, then consider Eakin & the failed PLD era) for 2C (primarily rentals), meanwhile somehow Vancouver gets JT Miller for years for a mere late-ish 1st & a 3rd & has been outperforming Scheifele quite handidly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad