What to do with the board - Poll of Yotes fans.

What do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Not sure I need to backup arguments I've never made? SLC skyline isn't that much different than Phoenix skyline. Rest of SLC metro not that much different to the eye than rest of Phoenix metro. Hence why I didn't understand the blink and you might miss it. OP kinda might think Phoenix had NYC skyline when really it's a sprawl City with small downtown unremarkable to the eye like most Cities. The Mesa post from me was about looks,not vibes or anything else.
Oh I didn't realize you were all in skylines. Ok nevermind, I have no opinion on skylines. lol

• Haha
Reactions: PainForShane

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
And for fans of this team living in Winnipeg, this is identical.
That's just me for the record.
hbk is one Province to the West.
Zerekstar is one Province to the East.
There are others with past connections to Winnipeg that are further away but I'm the only one actually there.

None of that matters to your point though and it was a good point.

I'd be happy to discuss the team here instead of the Utah forum but like Feckless pointed out, not everyone here wants to talk about that team here.

I would follow the land auction and the Road Runners on F40 if it was staying open, but I'm most interested in following the NHL team and its prospects.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
About to fly to Kelowna from Calgary. Back in Alberta the 2nd week in a row. I think I’ll prefer Penticton to Edmonton though. Haha.

Canada is fine. I’d like to be here less often though. Haha.
If you get the chance, next time drive from Calgary to Penticton... Banff, Yoho and Glacier parks on the way there. Aside from a lot of it being a single lane highway its a fun drive with lots of great stops. I typically go once or twice a year to visit vineyards in the Okanagan Valley. Moved to Banff 3+ years ago. May not be scouting for the OHL anymore which I miss but the hiking and views here are incredible. I would recommend it if you've never been

Reactions: Grimes and lanky

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If you get the chance, next time drive from Calgary to Penticton... Banff, Yoho and Glacier parks on the way there. Aside from a lot of it being a single lane highway its a fun drive with lots of great stops. I typically go once or twice a year to visit vineyards in the Okanagan Valley. Moved to Banff 3+ years ago. May not be scouting for the OHL anymore which I miss but the hiking and views here are incredible. I would recommend it if you've never been
Just the short drive from Kelowna to Penticton was beautiful.

Funny thing happened, I went to the one place in town open past ten and who showed up for a late night celebratory dinner? The entire Penticton Vees team, coaches and parents.

I’m probably the one guy from AZ in all of BC tonight who actually knows who the Vees are. And they show up in my restaurant as I’m texting @Grimes about how cool it was to drive past their arena. My first thought when the first few showed up in suits was “Prom? On a Tuesday?” Then I pieced it together. Lol.

I’m going to look for a chance to get out of dinner early tomorrow and try to catch at least the 3rd period of the Vees game live.

Reactions: Grimes and lanky

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I don't get your last paragraph? SLC downtown looks not that different than Phoenix downtown and it's darn near a 2 hour drive from start of Metro area to finish north to south.
Sorry you don't understand the expression of "if you blink you will miss it." Driving from the airport north, we went by the SLC on the free way and I was taken aback by the lack of size. I had to confirm that it was indeed the downtown area. The fact that it takes 2 hours is ridiculous, probably need better roads or better drivers in Utah if that is the case.

This is an observation from someone that recently visited Utah from Phoenix. SLC looks small, if you are not looking for the city scape you will miss it driving by on the freeway.

Reactions: PainForShane

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Not sure I need to backup arguments I've never made? SLC skyline isn't that much different than Phoenix skyline. Rest of SLC metro not that much different to the eye than rest of Phoenix metro. Hence why I didn't understand the blink and you might miss it. OP kinda might think Phoenix had NYC skyline when really it's a sprawl City with small downtown unremarkable to the eye like most Cities. The Mesa post from me was about looks,not vibes or anything else.
I am from Phoenix and I have not seen NYC but I have seen Chicago and LA. Not sure how you thought I thought Phoenix was bigger than it is. Phoenix downtown is bigger than SLC, clearly what I was saying. The comparison of city sprawl isn't that good either because Phoenix metro has more people than the entire state of Utah.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Just the short drive from Kelowna to Penticton was beautiful.

Funny thing happened, I went to the one place in town open past ten and who showed up for a late night celebratory dinner? The entire Penticton Vees team, coaches and parents.

I’m probably the one guy from AZ in all of BC tonight who actually knows who the Vees are. And they show up in my restaurant as I’m texting @Grimes about how cool it was to drive past their arena. My first thought when the first few showed up in suits was “Prom? On a Tuesday?” Then I pieced it together. Lol.

I’m going to look for a chance to get out of dinner early tomorrow and try to catch at least the 3rd period of the Vees game live.
The Vees ownership is loaded. That is the team to play for in the BCHL, players get treated really well, have a nice fan base, they are always competitive and that's why they pull players from all over. Like you've already seen it's a beautiful spot to live too...
That's sick that you were able to have a run in with them though. I'd deff check out a game if you're able to

It is a nice drive beside the lake getting to Penticton.The drives do get nicer though. Deff go through some of the national parks at some point. And if you're ever by Vancouver then take a trip to Squamish or Vancouver Island (Tofino is a good spot)

Reactions: Summer Rose

IronFinn

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2022
Scottsdale
I was on a long road trip and my first trip abroad in 30+ years when all this news broke. I was following along the whole time, but between being busy traveling and needing to process it all, it took a while for me to get around to being able to express my perspective.

As much as I appreciate all Bettman did to keep the Coyotes in AZ all these dysfunctional years, it was ultimately his misstep in blasting Glendale that ultimately put the ball in motion of the team leaving. That and all of Meruelo's dysfunction and inability to run a sports franchise. Needless to say, I am pissed at both.

I still love the game of hockey. I still have a need to watch hockey. My bond was to my team in my home state. Now "my team" is no longer in my home state, but I am still bound to the players and the staff. Therefore, I will definitely be following the team in Utah. If they do a fire sale on the players and staff and sign a bunch of new guys, I will probably move over to my prior team, the SJ Sharks.

I vote for keeping this forum open as long as there is an active chance of getting a team back. I will continue to come here to read and post on that news. If Meruelo wins the land auction, I vote to keep this forum open. If he releases plans to build a new arena, I vote to keep this forum open. If he breaks ground on the development, I vote to keep this forum open. If at any point he veers off this plan and it looks like the new arena and team re-activation is done, then I vote to close this forum down.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
About to fly to Kelowna from Calgary. Back in Alberta the 2nd week in a row. I think I’ll prefer Penticton to Edmonton though. Haha.

Canada is fine. I’d like to be here less often though. Haha.
Did BA hire you as a secret scout?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Made it to the vees game.
IMG_1128.jpeg

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't think it makes any sense at all to dislike the Utah fans. I just want nothing to do with their team because my team has been the Arizona Coyotes for over two decades. What is over there now has nothing to do with my team. What was my team anyway. Not their fault that no owner worth a damn would buy the franchise in all that time.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Don’t see why you both should be shocked.

Hockey nerds are hockey nerds.

Going to say this though……

Everyone can choose to go there or not….. doesn’t bother me in the least. But don’t go there to take a giant dump on the board about what happened with the Coyotes.

It’s going to take a while for new Utah hockey fans to learn about this site and populate F287 and the last thing they need to be greeted with is bunch of disgruntled posters spewing venom everywhere.
I have no truck with Utah fans and I won’t pollute the F-U board with any”giant dump.” Like us, they didn’t campaign to poach a team. The Coyotes died by a self inflicted wound, stabbed in the back by their owner.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I have no reason to hate Utah fans as they have nothing to do with what happened but it is hard not to be bitter sometimes. Feels like watching your partner being taken from you and forced into an arranged marriage. It's not the ex or the new partners fault, it's the parents, but that doesn't make it feel less sucky.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The only Utah fans I will ever despise are the ones who will inevitably say stupid shit like, "Look what happened when this team moved to a REAL city."

Fortunately, those douchebags will number about seven to fifteen out of the total Utah populace, so I can safely dislike them while also totally ignoring them.

My fan hatred is still reserved for the Canada-based perpetually online trolls who are still, even now, shitting all over Arizona even though we no longer have an NHL team. Those people can f*** right off into oncoming traffic.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Wife and I visited our friends in Ogden, UT this past weekend. Cool place for hiking and lots of outdoorsy things to do. Mountains in the landscape are amazing, green everywhere and the golf courses looked great to play. I want to go back and visit again during fall to see the leaves starting to change color and play some golf.

Booze and bars were to most surprising difference. Any booze above 5% is super regulated. Bars can not legally pour over one shot per drink. No beers ABV above 5% unless you go to a brewer. Any alcohol above 5%ABV has to be bought at of the state run liquor stores or you can get liquor from a distillery.

Not sure if I needed to spend more time in the SLC area instead the Ogden area but the place doesn't seem abuzz about the new team I didn't see much as far as ads or billboards. Its hard to find a bar with a lot of TVs (looked to be one or two total if any for all the places we went). Seems like every place is closed early on weekdays and Sundays and Mondays are typically closed.

I can get why players and wives/gf would not like moving there, it feels very small town. If you are driving through SLC and blink you will likely miss seeing the city (exaggeration but you get the point). Interested to see how this shapes up in the next few years.
It's like trying to buy booze in NJ, PA or Ontario. Damned annoying.

When I lived in PA you could only buy sixers from a pizzeria.

I must admit the state grift shop in SLC I went to had great stuff. Lines were ridiculous.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
The only Utah fans I will ever despise are the ones who will inevitably say stupid shit like, "Look what happened when this team moved to a REAL city."

Fortunately, those douchebags will number about seven to fifteen out of the total Utah populace, so I can safely dislike them while also totally ignoring them.

My fan hatred is still reserved for the Canada-based perpetually online trolls who are still, even now, shitting all over Arizona even though we no longer have an NHL team. Those people can f*** right off into oncoming traffic.
agreed

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It's like trying to buy booze in NJ, PA or Ontario. Damned annoying.

When I lived in PA you could only buy sixers from a pizzeria.

I must admit the state grift shop in SLC I went to had great stuff. Lines were ridiculous.
Like the American one, or the canada one?

In Ontario Canada at least, buying booze is pretty easy. Beer stores all over the place that close at like 9 and are open weekends. Less but still a decent amount of LCBO's (liquor stores) that are the same. Pricy stuff but where is it not.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Like the American one, or the canada one?

In Ontario Canada at least, buying booze is pretty easy. Beer stores all over the place that close at like 9 and are open weekends. Less but still a decent amount of LCBO's (liquor stores) that are the same. Pricy stuff but where is it not.
Canada. Finding beer in Toronto was a pain when I was there in '07 and '08. All the state run places were closed. I'm used to being able to find booze for sale everywhere.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Canada. Finding beer in Toronto was a pain when I was there in '07 and '08. All the state run places were closed. I'm used to being able to find booze for sale everywhere.
They close on stats but they're mostly open in most places pretty late nowadays. Can't speak for how it was then though, as I had no interest in buying booze at that time :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad