The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VIII

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The whole thing with Jeff Paterson started because Jeff was offended by Hroneks eye role. Then Jeff just wanted him to answer again more politely. And Hronek was like wtf.

I don't get the whole strategy for the team. Its almost like they wanted Petey to lie about his injury. And he didn't.

But Hronek did lie. Probably bc the team wanted him to. Which is why his answer was so awkward. He's not very good liar.

Reactions: Lindgren

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The whole thing with Jeff Paterson started because Jeff was offended by Hroneks eye role. Then Jeff just wanted him to answer again more politely. And Hronek was like wtf.

I don't get the whole strategy for the team. Its almost like they wanted Petey to lie about his injury. And he didn't.
Ah this is a new one.

Where are you getting this?
But Hronek did lie. Probably bc the team wanted him to. Which is why his answer was so awkward. He's not very good liar.

oba

Feb 2, 2024
IMO.

players spend far too long on post game interviews.

Should be limited to one minute.

These guys are athletes not philosophers.

Or at least, interview on a day off, at a practice. Not after a hard game.

Media probes with all kinds of psychological stuff. After a hard game. Stuff like ...."AND WHAT DOES THAT DO FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE ....?"

you will hear this over and over after around 3 minutes, when said player is totally bagged and just wants to go have a shower ...

Media. LAY OFF ...!!!

lay off the mind games.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I didn't realize Frank Seravalli called our market 'douches' on Edmonton radio. Disappointing for me as I've always liked his coverage, but more importantly he was critized for being pro-Oilers in our market during the playoffs & his response (correctly) was that he believed in our team from the beginning - as if to say he was never against us or anything. But then to make that comment (on EDM radio of all places) kinda flushes it all down the drain & proves the critics right - you wouldn't make that comment if you liked/respected the market.

As far as JPat/Hronek.. Its a real moment between 2 guys, I understand where Jpat was coming from & I understand that Hronek doesn't like the media (perhaps doesn't feel comfortable), and didn't have the best response.

Its entertaining imo & part of the business for both sides.

Reactions: Vector

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

This quite a fascinating take. Everyone is a liar because you say so.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Paterson only asked the question because it's what the fans want to know. I think it was him Drance and Farhan that all framed their questions around the same topic because Hronek was giving nothing answers.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I didn't realize Frank Seravalli called our market 'douches' on Edmonton radio. Disappointing for me as I've always liked his coverage, but more importantly he was critized for being pro-Oilers in our market during the playoffs & his response (correctly) was that he believed in our team from the beginning - as if to say he was never against us or anything. But then to make that comment (on EDM radio of all places) kinda flushes it all down the drain & proves the critics right - you wouldn't make that comment if you liked/respected the market.

As far as JPat/Hronek.. Its a real moment between 2 guys, I understand where Jpat was coming from & I understand that Hronek doesn't like the media (perhaps doesn't feel comfortable), and didn't have the best response.

To be fair, Canucks twitter really are douchebags.

This is my safe haven for fair and logical takes, for the most part. For out-of-town media who only see Canucks Twitter, I'm not surprised they feel that way.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
To be fair, Canucks twitter really are douchebags.

This is my safe haven for fair and logical takes, for the most part. For out-of-town media who only see Canucks Twitter, I'm not surprised they feel that way.

You could simplify this post to say “Twitter are douchebags”. Man alive is that platform a dumpster fire. The day all the insiders commit to breaking their news somewhere else is the day I’ll delete my account.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
The Player Agents control the messaging by much of the media.

almost all sports media is just public relations. there's no real reporting because the leagues control access and will blackball anyone who steps out of line. just look at the ohtani reporting to see it all laid bare

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You could simplify this post to say “Twitter are douchebags”. Man alive is that platform a dumpster fire. The day all the insiders commit to breaking their news somewhere else is the day I’ll delete my account.

I honestly don't know why people still use it. I mean like for discourse. I really wish there was a better place to get up to date info...

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Twitter is flooded with Vancouver fans making jokes about the city of Edmonton being in the stone ages with only dial up internet and all that BS. Thats what he was addressing with that comment. Taj was being a total d-bag with comments like that all playoffs long

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Twitter is flooded with Vancouver fans making jokes about the city of Edmonton being in the stone ages with only dial up internet and all that BS. Thats what he was addressing with that comment. Taj was being a total d-bag with comments like that all playoffs long

Yes a random Twitter person is the same as a national broadcaster going on a broadcast.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I would much rather have Hughes saying he wasn't injured vs Petey saying he was and here's why. Injuries are part of the game. I can't imagine any player playing at the NHL level for 82 games, THEN the playoff gauntlet, coming out unscathed. Every player must be playing with a certain level of pain. I actually really like Hughes' answer because he said something like "sure I had some things going on but it didn't prevent me from playing at 100%". Perfect answer. Anything else comes off as an excuse. Why? Because every player could use the same excuse. The playoffs are a war of attrition. The team that wins the cup does so despite playing through injuries. They win the cup because they fought through the pain.

This, of course, doesn't apply for injuries that prevent a player from being effective at all (Demko) or are dangerous to play with (Boeser). But, if a player laces the skates up, the assumption is that the team has a better chance of success with them in the line-up than not. In that scenario, there is no room to talk about injuries because it comes off as an excuse when every other team is going through the same thing.

...end of rant

Reactions: oba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad