The English Lower League thread (Part 2)

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I didn’t think they’d do it, but happy Southampton went up.

For a while they even looked like they might be promoted without the playoffs. Considering how their respective seasons are going, they should be getting Bella-Kotchap and Alcaraz back too, both of whom are familiar with the Premiership and proven. They’ll still need to do some spending though if they want to stay up.
Yep, I believe there are posts of mine in this thread from ~MW38 or so where I was convinced they’d go up automatically. 3 bad losses down the stretch unfortunately put a damper on that.

ABK back will be big, but the bigger variable will be if they can keep Harwood Bellis and Downes - both of whom will have other suitors to whom their parent clubs might rather sell.

Definitely need an upgrade at striker, as Armstrong has shown himself to be a brilliant-Championship bad-Premier League striker (god, how many strikers in that category eh). Walker-Peters should stay with promotion, so that’s big. And another midfielder for sure - pretty serious lack of top flight experience there.

Reactions: les Habs

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Harwood-Bellis confirmed he is staying after the game. Huge signing.

Downes will be harder to sign permanently. He'll want to prove it at West Ham. Although he clearly loves playing for Russell Martin.

Will ABK even be fit? Two years of terrible injuries.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yep, I believe there are posts of mine in this thread from ~MW38 or so where I was convinced they’d go up automatically. 3 bad losses down the stretch unfortunately put a damper on that.

ABK back will be big, but the bigger variable will be if they can keep Harwood Bellis and Downes - both of whom will have other suitors to whom their parent clubs might rather sell.

Definitely need an upgrade at striker, as Armstrong has shown himself to be a brilliant-Championship bad-Premier League striker (god, how many strikers in that category eh). Walker-Peters should stay with promotion, so that’s big. And another midfielder for sure - pretty serious lack of top flight experience there.

I’m always wary of thinking anyone will win the Championship much less a promotional playoff until the results are in.

Yeah, striker will be huge. Goals are always at a premium too. That said, being a Premier league side again, they should be able to get someone from another league.

Harwood-Bellis confirmed he is staying after the game. Huge signing.

Downes will be harder to sign permanently. He'll want to prove it at West Ham. Although he clearly loves playing for Russell Martin.

Will ABK even be fit? Two years of terrible injuries.

Harwood-Bellis is a big get for them.

Bella-Kotchap might be more than injuries. Also might be a confidence issue there. Didn’t seem to be playing well for PSV prior to getting injured and has hardly featured upon his return. Still brings a full season’s worth of experience at Premiership level and his market value is likely low so seems a no-brainer.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I’m always wary of thinking anyone will win the Championship much less a promotional playoff until the results are in.

Yeah, striker will be huge. Goals are always at a premium too. That said, being a Premier league side again, they should be able to get someone from another league.

Harwood-Bellis is a big get for them.

Bella-Kotchap might be more than injuries. Also might be a confidence issue there. Didn’t seem to be playing well for PSV prior to getting injured and has hardly featured upon his return. Still brings a full season’s worth of experience at Premiership level and his market value is likely low so seems a no-brainer.

Apparently ABK was at Wembley today.

PSV was a strange move for him. I thought for sure he'd get a permanent move to a Bundesliga team. Last minute loan to a Dutch side, albeit with Champions league football, was just odd to me.

It'll be interesting if they re-integrate him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Apparently ABK was at Wembley today.

PSV was a strange move for him. I thought for sure he'd get a permanent move to a Bundesliga team. Last minute loan to a Dutch side, albeit with Champions league football, was just odd to me.

It'll be interesting if they re-integrate him.

Yeah, he seemed set for BVB if I recall correctly. That said PSV isn’t a bad move, but it turned out that way which is the troubling bit. Like I said though, I would imagine his market value is low and so unless the manager doesn’t want him I would imagine he’s back.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To drive this point even further.

The meat was fully picked off Southampton's carcass when they got relegated. Ward-Prowse, Lavia, Livramento, Salisu, Tella, Alcaraz, Djenepo, ABK.

They only made two signings with fees - Shea Charles and Ross Stewart. Everything else was frees and loans.

It is insane to me that there was chatter that Martin would get canned if they didn't go up. He's done an extraordinary job with this team.

I don't agree with almost any of this. Livramento was hurt the whole season, Tella was on loan, Djenepo wasn't an impact player, even Lavia played a lot but was so raw he didn't have any impact. Ward-Prowse, Alcaraz and Bella-Kotchap were the only big loses, Salisu missed almost half that season as well. They replaced Bella-Kotchap with Harwood-Bellis, Alcaraz with a returning from a great championship loan Smallbone and Downes helped with the Ward-Prowse loss.

The key for Southampton was that their players were playing way over their heads to begin with. Bazuna wasn't ready for the premier league, same for Lavia and Edozie. The key though were Armstrong and Adams who are great Championship players but not premier league ones.

Russell Martin did a great job also but the team was definitely promotion worthy, they weren't Ipswich he punched above their weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad