Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah this is the main reason I think Ponomarev is ranked above Koivunen. I think Ponomarev's upside is a playmaking 2-way 3C (think Alex Wennberg), while Koivunen's is a playmaking middl6-6 winger (think Jussi Jokinen). However, it also seems like Ponomarev is a lot safer of a bet to reaching that upside than Koivunen, which probably makes up for the upside difference there. It's not like Koivunen has a monstrously high upside to negate out the extra risk with him.
If you look at Jokinen as a 21 yr old (turned 21 april 1st) (at the end of that season 2003-2004) in the finnish league he had 15 Goals and 23 assists for 38 points in 55 games. Koivunen who hasn't quite turned 21 yet (6-13) had 22 goals and 34 assists for 56 points in 59 games. He followed that up with Five goals and eight assists for 13 points in 12 playoff games. Pretty impressive.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Pens relinquished rights to Thimo Nickl and Nolan Collins today. It was the deadline to sign them to entry level contracts.

Neither is a surprise. They aren't prospects, Nickl spent all last year in Wheeling and was unremarkable. Collins has had injury issues.
Utah relinquished their rights to QMJHL Left handed defenseman Jeremy Larglois. Last season he played in 61 games and had 17 goals 45 assists and was a plus 41. He is only 20 years old and was drafted in the 3rd round in the 2020 draft.

Reactions: Jdodd

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If you look at Jokinen as a 21 yr old (turned 21 april 1st) (at the end of that season 2003-2004) in the finnish league he had 15 Goals and 23 assists for 38 points in 55 games. Koivunen who hasn't quite turned 21 yet (6-13) had 22 goals and 34 assists for 56 points in 59 games. He followed that up with Five goals and eight assists for 13 points in 12 playoff games. Pretty impressive.

I’d have signed Collins. 6’3” RD don’t grow on trees.
How about simply signing Yager? Or is that too much trouble?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Another coach for WB/S I’d look at if I were Spezza is Brett Skinner. Won coach of the year and the championship in the USHL in his first season, but was an assistant for a while before that. Kind of an eclectic playing career, he was all over the place. Even 4 years in Europe.

Maybe an assistant spot if they’re set on Snowden for HC.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Pens relinquished rights to Thimo Nickl and Nolan Collins today. It was the deadline to sign them to entry level contracts.

Neither is a surprise. They aren't prospects, Nickl spent all last year in Wheeling and was unremarkable. Collins has had injury issues.
Definitely not a surprise re: Collins. You don't draft bottom-pairing defenseman. You don't draft bottom-6 forwards. Why this franchise continues to do so in abundance is beyond me.

Reactions: Andy99

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I’d have signed Collins. 6’3” RD don’t grow on trees.
There are dozens of Nolan Collins types out there. Yeah, he's a big RD, but that's all he is. Even St. Ivany, who is a pure defensive defenseman, showcased more offense in college than Collins has in the OHL. Collins scored at .23 points per game in his four OHL seasons. St. Ivany was .57 points per game in college.

Collins just doesn't being enough to warrant a contract, especially when you factor in the frequent injuries.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
There are dozens of Nolan Collins types out there. Yeah, he's a big RD, but that's all he is. Even St. Ivany, who is a pure defensive defenseman, showcased more offense in college than Collins has in the OHL. Collins scored at .23 points per game in his four OHL seasons. St. Ivany was .57 points per game in college.

Collins just doesn't being enough to warrant a contract, especially when you factor in the frequent injuries.
I skated with Collins a few times in the off season at a couple skates in Oshawa, and honestly for a big man he moves and jumps in pretty well and had some technical skills that you could tell there was offence that could grow. I would never have guessed that going into this season with the skill in Sudbury and how he looked relative to some other draft picks and tier 2 A guys out there that he would have a 15% point regression is his D+2 year, especially while the rest of the team progressed so much offensively.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

I don't disagree, I know very little about Collins, but I hope it's not another Muzzin type scenario.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The point is that it’s been 10 years at least since anyone trusted the Pens drafting and development…and for good reason lol

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
New sheriff in town. Kyle will lead us to prosperity.

We’ll see…we still don’t have a coach in Wilkes and Sullivan is still employed demanding young players PK and make no mistakes or he’ll stunt their development…hard to be excited…I’d trust Kyle more if he’d fire Sullivan and if he can’t fire him, then how pathetic is he to take a job like that with those conditions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad